Shapeways

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Shapeways

Post by silversurfer1947 »

I have limited experience of Shapeways but came across this whilst looking for something totally different. I have to ask what they can be thinking. Do they seriously expect to sell any of these? Or have I misinterpreted something! https://www.shapeways.com/product/2YMEW ... arketplace
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: Shapeways

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

silversurfer1947 wrote:I have limited experience of Shapeways but came across this whilst looking for something totally different. I have to ask what they can be thinking. Do they seriously expect to sell any of these? Or have I misinterpreted something! https://www.shapeways.com/product/2YMEW ... arketplace

LOL you killed me. For that price I can buy a resin printer and print with the same quality.
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

I'd want a lapdance with Taylor Swift for that money !!

:shh: :shifty: :shifty: .........ooooops, was that out loud ?
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
RobW
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by RobW »

You can, but how many of the people on here can drive CAD to a standard where they can add the lettering? Yes, they are expensive, but because we do this as a hobby we neglect the time element in a lot of stuff. To design & CAD up the cans is probably around 4-5 hours unless there's an easy way of adding letters?
Kaczor

Post by Kaczor »

It's case of material used (before known as "Frosted Ultra Detail"), model design and seller's markup. Most important issue - model is not hollow inside so lots of expensive material is used. Poor design in my opinion. Should be in two parts.

Also Shapeways after change of CEO drasticaly changed prices for prints.
Rad_Schuhart

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

RobW wrote:You can, but how many of the people on here can drive CAD to a standard where they can add the lettering? Yes, they are expensive, but because we do this as a hobby we neglect the time element in a lot of stuff. To design & CAD up the cans is probably around 4-5 hours unless there's an easy way of adding letters?
Then buy the classy hobby kit. 8 canisters and 4 fuel drums, same detail, and 15 bucks.
Rad_Schuhart

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Kaczor wrote:It's case of material used (before known as "Frosted Ultra Detail"), model design and seller's markup. Most important issue - model is not hollow inside so lots of expensive material is used. Poor design in my opinion. Should be in two parts.

Also Shapeways after change of CEO drasticaly changed prices for prints.
Lol, nowadays more and more people have quality 3D printers at home, and they raise the prices? not the smartest move.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

If you want a pack of 20, Choose between German or American,
A very little bit of assembly to do go to Dave @
www.forgebeartanks.com
£20 plus postage.
They look really good racked on the top of a PZ4 Turret or in the back of a WPL or a JJRC Truck.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

I never understood why anyone would use shapeways to begin with. They're a bunch of parasites that charge about 10 times as much as what the products are worth and for some reason people keep buying from them. I just don't understand it.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

A stalwart member of this Forum designs brilliant upgrades for different PZ4 variants amongst other offerings and I adorn my small section of PZ4s with some of his quality products,
He sells these treasures through "Shapeways" and the site has one great advantage over everyman and his dog in that I can scan "Shapeways" for all things relevant to my modelling requirements instead of spending many fruitless hours on line looking for something that may not even be out there.

EDIT. If "WOZ" had a site of his own where I could access his work I would more than likely not go to "Shapeways" but that's where he's at so that's where I go :lolno:
Last edited by jarndice on Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:

Return to “General Discussion”