New to hobby looking for advice

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
Boobytrap
Recruit

New to hobby looking for advice

Post by Boobytrap »

Hi I am looking for advice on the purchase of my first piece of armor. I’m interested in World War II German armor and I’m not interested in airsoft. I might be interested and IR in the future. I am interested in scale movement and operation for video and stills.
I am an experienced model or an in fabricator and not intimidated by the mechanics or electronics. I am looking at the Heng Long Jagdpanther 1/16 as its not so expensive even with metal tracks gearbox's and drive wheels. The scale features are ok for me as I can work that.

So the question is is this a good starting platform for a beginner like me did in my interest in this hobby.

Thank you, BT
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: New to hobby looking for advice

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

I'd recommend looking at Youtube videos of the Jagdpanther (1/16) in action, If I were you. That way, you're able to see whether the scale, and motion values, meet your needs.
phpBB [video]

This is just a review and you should be borne in mind that, for a few years, Heng Long only offered BB/Airsoft versions of their models. Recent releases, with the V 6.0 controller electronics on board, offer an either-or
option. (Or both, in fact :crazy: ).
Look further, and you'll find vids of the Jagdanther in action. :thumbup:
Tamiya Jagdpanthers are extremely expensive, but are exclusively IR based. You could buy the static model and fit non-Tamiya controllers, and drivetrain components and, while that would save lots of money, it would still be many times more expensive than the HL version. Edit...of course, as you are new to this branch of the RC hobby, modding a static Tamiya might require a skillset you've yet to acquire...but, if you're up for a long term challenge, why not? :D
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

HengLong now offer the ability to IR battle using a Tamiya standard convention but only with their new Ver 6.0 electronics, older version are restricted to BB unless you do extensive mods.. The new electronics also offers the smoothest driving qualities l have witnessed but this is using plastic gearbox and tracks etc. The only snag, right now, is that they are in the process of upgrading their range with v6 and I've not yet seen a Jagdpanther with v6, though it will no doubt be available soon.

Otherwise, Taigen and Torro make this model and most already have the metal upgrades fitted. Again, for best performance look for the latest versions of electrics. Expect to pay from 50 - 100% more for the Taigen & Torro options.

Buy where you feel comfortable but to give you a good idea of what is out there and typical prices, l suggest you browse eBay searching 1/16 Jagdpanther in RC models. Then come back for recommended retailers!
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

www.heng-long-panzer.de/ have recently altered their website and its a bit of a faff working through it but they do have the latest V6.0 equipped Jagdpanther in stock,
If you have not dealt with them before they are straight dealers you can trust :thumbup:
They do have an English language translation service but trying to access it could take longer than it would going to night school to learn German :lolno:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

It would help a lot if we knew where you were, or at least what continent you're on. If you're in the states, I just picked up a JP from eBay for $250 that came with metal tracks sprocket idlers and metal road wheels with rubber tires. It came with the almost newest version of the electronics, the 6.0. So if you're in the states, go to eBay and look for a seller called toucan Hobbies.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Boobytrap is from "Sunny Arizona". :thumbup:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

jarndice wrote:http://www.heng-long-panzer.de/ have recently altered their website and its a bit of a faff working through it but they do have the latest V6.0 equipped Jagdpanther in stock,
If you have not dealt with them before they are straight dealers you can trust :thumbup:
They do have an English language translation service but trying to access it could take longer than it would going to night school to learn German :lolno:
The Jagdpanther link doesn't work, Shaun. The upgrade link for the Jadgpanther does, however:
https://heng-long-panzer.de/de/1-16-upg ... gdpanther/
By the by, I like the revised look of the Licmas website. It has something of the style of the Taigentanks one.
The Taigen model Metal V3) is airsoft only.
https://www.taigentanks.com/taigen/jpmetal
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Arizona, eh? Try this

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Henglong-1-16- ... 34075daac2

Mine was cheaper, but that seller is out of stock. I advise you message them and ask for a better price. They'll usually come down about 5% if they think you'll pull the trigger. This is just one example, ebay is loaded with the things. Oh yeah. we had a discussion at my youtube channel about the name Cheetah. There never was a German tank called a Cheetah, but in the seller's native language cheetah and panther are the same word. Go figger, eh|?

Hope that helps.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

And in case you missed it, here's the video of my latest Jagdpanther.

phpBB [video]
Boobytrap
Recruit

Post by Boobytrap »

Max good video thank you. Does that model of the JagdP have steel gears or cast zink? Does the barrel have recoil? I did not see it move. Can gun recoil be added//modified if not?

Return to “General Discussion”