Metal upper hull tiger1

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
Ragnar
Corporal

Metal upper hull tiger1

Post by Ragnar »

Laying in bed last night and the thought of a metal upper hull for my Taigen Tiger 1 crossed my mind, had realized after removing the upper hull that there was a bit of flex in the plastic hull top when gently lifting the main gun barrel up and down.
Can’t imagine it adding that much more weight overall to the tank. Nice thought to drift off to sleep with. Lol
Wondering if Anyone else has had this idea cross their minds.
But it’s a dry heat!
HL Panzer III
Taigen Tiger 1 Mid Metal edition
jarndice
Colonel

Re: Metal upper hull tiger1

Post by jarndice »

The thought of trying to fill a misplaced pin vice hole or a scar made by the over zealous use of a file is enough to ensure that I continue using Plastic/ABS Tank bodies instead of Metal ones, that and the money saved not forgetting the extra strain on the suspension and transmission.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Ragnar
Corporal

Post by Ragnar »

jarndice wrote:The thought of trying to fill a misplaced pin vice hole or a scar made by the over zealous use of a file is enough to ensure that I continue using Plastic/ABS Tank bodies instead of Metal ones, that and the money saved not forgetting the extra strain on the suspension and transmission.
Actually I’d have to disagree on 2 points,first the judicious use of squadron putty would solve any minor slip ups perticulary pin holes,as to weight after seeing the construction of the upper Hull on my Tiger one I can’t see where there would be that much significant weight gain using metal.the upgraded motors and gearbox should easily handle the extra bit of weight. Cost of designing and manufacturing the upper hull would probably be the major cost.
Just my two cents.
But it’s a dry heat!
HL Panzer III
Taigen Tiger 1 Mid Metal edition
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Speaking of weight, my initial production Tiger weighs 14.6 pounds with the battery. I like the heft and the 390 motors with 4:1 gears really helps it feel unstoppable. However I would prefer to add supports to the lower hull for stiffness before I would seek a metal upper deck. Modifications would be tougher than a plastic hull. To each his own:)
Marc780
Corporal

Post by Marc780 »

Maybe the thing to remember is when both upper and lower hulls are joined together this is what gives the tank maximum stiffness. Take the cover and the bottom of a shoe box and flex them, now tape the lid on and how much stiffer is it now?
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

Nevertheless, a metal turret mounted on a plastic deck does cause flexing issues unless the plastic deck was from the outset designed to take the additional weight - by use of moulded structural ribs etc. Unfortunately, this doesn't appear to be the case in some models l have purchased and l have had to carry out strengthening modifications which, on models of the price paid, is not acceptable. Buyer beware!
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection

Return to “General Discussion”