In the strangest of places....RCTW...???

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
wibblywobbly
Major

In the strangest of places....RCTW...???

Post by wibblywobbly »

So there I am, over 1300ft above sea level, in the wilds of Wales, nothing for miles, a famous quarry, and we are running our RC crawlers. A guy walks over and starts chatting and mentions that he is into RC tanks. After a while I ask him if he knows about this forum, he says he is on it, and we soon realise that we have been chatting on one of his posts??? This is how bleak it is up there...

phpBB [video]
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: In the strangest of places....RCTW...???

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Afternoon,
What happenstance! The RC Tanking world is still a small place. Filled fortunately with good people. Thanks for the video! 1300 ft in elevation, wow that is high! ;o)
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Just nosey But what were you doing in a FFR Landie ?
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

One of the RC rock crawler guys owns it, it's an ex-military Landrover. It's the worst truck I have ever been in, lol. Deafening inside, rock hard suspension, and just about every component on the thing rattles and vibrates. We wanted to see what was at the top, so we all jumped in and up we went. It was a good laugh though. The forum member I spoke to is an ex-Chieftain crew member, that's the third one I have met in unusual places. ;)
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Having spent far to many hours in various MKs of Land Rover I can vouch for your critique of it.
If the landscape had been greener I would have sworn it was the Falklands,
Do you think that is what attracted so many Welsh immigrants to Patagonia which has very similar geography ?
BLEAK !!! :lolno:
Last edited by jarndice on Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

It's above Trefil quarry. The quarry contains thousands of coral fossils, which just goes to show how much the earth's crust has moved over the years. It's been used for location work for Dr Who, The Transformers, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. The landscape is incredible up there and goes on forever. It's only 15 miles down the road from where I live, and my house is over 1000ft above sea level. Maybe I should buy an oxygen mask? :D

This was where we ended up with the RC trucks. The guy at the start is the one I was chatting to.

phpBB [video]
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

That looked like a lot of fun although I would have sworn that the three trailbikers overlooking the action were statues :haha:
I have a very strong memory of pushing a bogged down Long Wheelbase Landie of the Royal Engineers out of a forest using the front bumper of an Austin Champ on BLR Tyres (The Champ was awaiting disposal hence the clapped out tyres)
Once we were clear of the trees and after suffering the effusive thanks of two highly embarrassed mud caked Sapper Subalterns,
The Adjutant turned to me and said "And those vehicles are replacing the Champ"!!!
He was not impressed. :lolno:
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

What a great place to "play." :thumbup:
Yep, I can confirm, one of the worse vehicles I have driven or ridden in.
"Wales is a lovely place, shame it's full of Welsh." . . . Just quoting my Welsh mum :D
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

The wife of my neighbour back in Bristol was Welsh, even spoke the language. She said that she would never move back there. lol.

Since the Severn Bridge tolls were dropped, there has been an increase in English people moving over. Cheaper, bigger homes, and gardens, more outdoor space than anyone could ever explore in a lifetime, no traffic, free hospital parking, and pretty much free parking everywhere else. Even the traffic wardens don't issue parking tickets here, they just put a warning sticker on the windscreen.

I love the place!
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Just a bit quiet for me, well, the place I was was quiet, and all the night life closed early, and that was at a holiday place by Pendine Sands.
Did get to eat VERY fresh local lamb. . . .

So, yep, I'm half Welsh, and possibly about an eighth Scottish.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?

Return to “General Discussion”