What’s your opinions on,

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!

Postby Jimmer » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:26 pm

Hi I’m new to tanks,had plenty of cars and planes before but know nothing on tanks. I have been looking at the hang long metal version tiger 1 v6 . Would this be a good place to start or would you recommend something else.

Jimmer
Recruit

Postby RobW » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:44 pm

Depends, what do you like the look of? Do you want RTR or RTR with tinkering or a kit? Budget?

RobW
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Postby midlife306 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:01 pm

My personal opinion would be to go for a Taigen, have a look on Forgebear Tanks website, he has a very wide variety.
Cheers
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
midlife306
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Postby Jimmer » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:11 pm

I would like rtr with tinkering, bit of weathering and stuff.a lot of the other makes seem to have good paint jobs and weathering done

Jimmer
Recruit

Postby Son of a gun-ner » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:20 pm

midlife306 wrote:My personal opinion would be to go for a Taigen, have a look on Forgebear Tanks website, he has a very wide variety.
Cheers
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seconded.
Son of a gun-ner
TOTM Admin

Postby Max-U52 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:34 pm

Make that three. The Taigen tanks are, IMHO, a much better product than the HL tanks.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Postby jarndice » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:55 pm

The Tiger 1 is the usual first tank that members of the Forum buy,
They are big inside which lets newbies room to work without tearing out any wiring and the Tiger 1 has more accessories and upgrades available than any other model tank in 1/16,
The Heng Long and the Taigen come with faults but these are easily corrected unlike some other Tanks,
I would buy a Heng Long Tiger 1 because all the fittings for the tank body come separately on a sprue whereas the Taigen tank body fittings are moulded on BUT not one advertised as all metal,
Quite simply it is not only NOT all metal but the metal Gearboxes and Tracks are, to be polite questionable.
Either buy a Basic Heng Long Tiger 1 and fit Taigen Metal Tracks and Taigen Metal Gearboxes and if you have the money a Taigen Metal Hull if you want Heng Long Metal Gearboxes buy the Ultimate 11 version gearboxes,
These are cheaper than the Taigen ones but good quality.
Unless you favour a particular paint scheme as advertised by Taigen I would go for a cheaper Field Gray otherwise you are spending money on something you will be painting over.
The Taigen Wooden Box is nice BUT in all the years I have had it I have never used it for any tank related reason. :haha: If you are basing your purchase on cost alone go for the Heng Long Tiger 1 basic and don't worry if it does not include a smoker, They are more trouble than they are worth,
If accuracy and quality are important to you and money is no object go for the Tamiya Tiger 1.
jarndice
Major

Postby Max-U52 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:13 pm

I thought we went through this before, but I guess we need a refresher. Mato is the only company that advertises their tanks as "all metal". The tanks from taigen are "metal Edition", not full metal or all metal. And as for the choice of tiger, I don't think I would give up torsion bar suspension and a Lift-Off top just to get a sprue of separate tools. First, the separate tools are plastic anyway and I would want to replace them with metal and second it's not really that bad a job. I've done it several times and it's no big deal. If you want the best running tank RTR with the best mechanical insides, go for the taigen/torro.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Postby Jimmer » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:46 pm

Cheers all plenty to ponder

Jimmer
Recruit

Postby Eastern Front » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:34 pm

Well,
For my bit, I would recommend a Tamiya Tank, if your budget can support it. They are engineered quite well and you will get alot of life from it.

If you cannot afford that kind of investment, go for a Taigen, they seem alot better than the henglong tanks..

Henglong? well, if you like to continually work on it, go for it, it is toy grade and will experience wear, breakage and unless you reinforce it alot you will see alot of ugly things happen to it. You will also have to do alot to make it "better" that being alot of the tools are molded into the hull, so you will have to cut them off and do custom work there. The tanks are not exactly accurate, deck height, turret size etc. If you are ok with all of that then get a Heng Long..

That is my opinion, but what do I know, I have roughly (without really counting) 25 Tamiyas, 4 Hooben and one Henglong (body only)

Cheers!
Eastern Front

Postby Rad_Schuhart » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:44 pm

Lol, Easterfront, nowadays there are Taigens more expensive than Tamiyas!

I vote for Tamiya tanks just because I really love to build them... But some Taigens are way way stronger than the Tamiyas.

I guess it depends of the final use of the tank.
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Postby Max-U52 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:53 pm

I agree with both you guys about the Tamiya tanks and how good they are, but the man said he wanted RTR.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Postby Eastern Front » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:56 pm

Rad_Schuhart wrote:Lol, Easterfront, nowadays there are Taigens more expensive than Tamiyas!

I vote for Tamiya tanks just because I really love to build them... But some Taigens are way way stronger than the Tamiyas.

I guess it depends of the final use of the tank.

Rad,
So true my friend, though I have never experienced any issue with regards to strength yet, you can always make them stronger I guess.
I do hope that alot of the manufacturers step up and make "new" tanks. Frankly, its disheartening, it would seem someone releases a tank (lets say a sherman) then everyone releases the same thing.. I think if a manufacturer were to release unique vehicles like the Centurion, Merkava, Churchill, IS3, etc. then they would in effect corner the market! I would buy those tanks I listed, maybe two or three of each (except the churchill, never liked it even though it was a good, slow and ugly tank :haha: )

Cheers!
Eastern Front

Postby Eastern Front » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:58 pm

Max-U52 wrote:I agree with both you guys about the Tamiya tanks and how good they are, but the man said he wanted RTR.

True, doesn't RTR mean "Ready to Remove" it from its box and assemble? :haha: :haha: :haha:

Cheers!
Eastern Front

Postby jarndice » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:06 pm

Eastern It must have been some years since you had a Heng Long Tank,
They really have reached a similar standard to Taigen and the days of moulded on tools is now the exclusive property of Taigen Tanks and although Max says that removing them is easy,
To me it is an annoyance I could do without.
As to Max comment about the difficulty of removing a Heng Long Body from the Hull,
The Taigen quick release is a simple retrofit on Heng Longs Tiger 1.
I have a number of Taigen Tiger 1s and they are fair value for money but to say that the markedly cheaper Heng Long product is inferior to it is in my opinion mistaken.
jarndice
Major

Postby Eastern Front » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:35 pm

BTW,

A Tiger I was not my first tank..it was actually a Tiger II followed by a lot of Panthers!

Not sure where you were going on the Heng Long and Taigen comparison (Jarndice) I just know what I have seen, and I have a ton of Tanks, a lot of tanks,,did I say I have a lot of Tanks? I meant to say I have a lot of tanks, well maybe a few more than alot of Tanks.. Tamiyas make up the bulk, Hooben, a Henglong, a few Verlinden, Trumpeter, and 4 Bandai... I really need to count them all..

Cheers!
Eastern Front

Postby STHV » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:37 pm

Eastern Front wrote:BTW,

A Tiger I was not my first tank..it was actually a Tiger II followed by a lot of Panthers!

Not sure where you were going on the Heng Long and Taigen comparison (Jarndice) I just know what I have seen, and I have a ton of Tanks, a lot of tanks,,did I say I have a lot of Tanks? I meant to say I have a lot of tanks, well maybe a few more than alot of Tanks.. Tamiyas make up the bulk, Hooben, a Henglong, a few Verlinden, Trumpeter, and 4 Bandai... I really need to count them all..

Cheers!

Which Hooben tanks do you have? and what are your opinions on them?
STHV
Lance Corporal

Postby Eastern Front » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:47 pm

Sir,

I have two T-55 and two Elephants (Ferdinand)

They are "Ok" .. a few people have ordered the Hoobens and they would arrive missing parts, apparently Hooben has sorted this out.
The kits seem ok, not the same type of plastic that the Henglongs use so Plastruct liquid adhesive is good for assembly.. The Gearboxes are ok, would recommend an upgrade there. The hulls are a little thin so you would have to reinforce them as the torque could split the hulls. If you go easy on them they would be ok, I mean baby them! The molds are good and the real attraction of the hooben tanks was that they were offering a new tank no one else had. They also make an M1 abrams, a Leopard, T-55, M4e8 and lastly the Elephant.

I wish they would improve the quality of materials, heavier gearboxes and thicker hulls, if they did that you would have a decent runner.

Cheers!
Eastern Front

Postby Jimmer » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:31 pm

Been looking at the taigen tiger 1 early addition. There’s the plastic track with metal upgrades £179 or £229 with metal tracks. Looks really good( but what do I know). What’s a good shop to buy from as those were just online prices.
Last edited by Jimmer on Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jimmer
Recruit

Postby Son of a gun-ner » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:56 pm

Jimmer wrote:Been looking at the taigen tiger 1 early addition. There’s the plastic track with metal upgrades £179 or £229 with metal tracks. Looks really good( but what do I know).

If you can go a tad higher, make sure it has the metal reinforced hull with torsion suspension.
Son of a gun-ner
TOTM Admin

Next

Return to General Discussion