Which control board--for ME?

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
tankgirlfuzzy
Recruit

Which control board--for ME?

Post by tankgirlfuzzy »

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this but the electronics section is divided into subsections specific to each board, and I wanted to get the widest range of opinions from people familiar with all/many of them.

This is my first post, good to be here. I'm new to the current state of 1/16 but dabbled in some of the earlier generations (HL Panther [sold quickly], WSN T-34 [still have this, no one wanted it]) from almost 10 years ago. So I'm new to this hobby but not to RC or modeling.

I recently bought a HL King Tiger (metal tracks, sprockets, idlers, gearbox; basic airsoft version;I think 4th generation gold label 5.3; sold by toucan) as a diversion (more on that below) from my current big project involving 1/35 and RC, and though it's much nicer than what I had years ago, I detest the stock radio and horribly twitchy control. Sound is okay, didn't try the smoker (no interest and will probably remove), haven't tried the BBs yet. But I can't get past the transition from slow to rocket speeds. I put the plastic tracks back on for indoor use and the tank can actually drift Fast and Furious style on the smooth marble floors in the basement. And the radio is expectedly lousy. I'm used to fairly high end aircraft radios (been using Hitec Aurora 9 for years and used Spektrum DX7 before that; bought a Hitec Flash 8 specifically for my 1/35 project). I'm not used to driving with my right hand and want to switch modes so turret is on my right and drive function on left (I think it's my aircraft training, I just think of forward and left/right as throttle/rudder on the left).

Anyway, I realize I can do all of that with the current crop of aftermarket boards: Elmod, Clark, IBU, Open Panzer. The range of price and features is pretty wide. It's pretty useless to ask which board is best, I realize it depends on the user's needs/wants. So here are mine:

-Sound flexibility and quality is extremely important to me. Here's the weird thing: in the past few months I have gotten totally hooked on Girls und Panzer, of all things (I know, don't groan!). I'm sure most of you have heard of it, but for those who haven't, it's a Japanese anime series based on a world where high school girls do battle in WWII era tanks as a sport, and no one gets killed or seriously hurt. It's a pretty ridiculous concept and much of it is pretty silly, but I like many of the characters and the tank battles are great fun. (some of the physics are absurd: there is tank drifting involved) And, I think the music is awesome. Lots of marches, many actual ones from the era, and a lot of soundtrack inspired by 60s WWII movies. I'd like to install sound files of entire 3 minute pieces onto the card and be able to play them at a flick of a switch. (side note: This is actually the main reason why I'm even getting into this scale. I own 1/12 scale Figma figures of all the main characters and even bought a 1/12 scale Panzer IVD from the same line. It's motorized and I'm turning it into basic RC function with a "play-scale" interior for the figures. Two of the figures are from a school that only uses German tanks and the King Tiger was bought for them and so they could torment the PzIVD which is from the rival school and contains the main characters. The girls are almost a perfect fit for the KT, since they are a small 1/12 scale.)

-I want it to be as plug and play as possible given my components. (I'm sure everyone always says this!) I don't mind soldering a wire or three, but not circuit boards or anything too small. My skills are average at best and soldering battery plugs to 12 or 14 ga wires for planes is what I'm used to. (I've been forced to improve for my 1/35 project but still feel inadequate)

-Ease of programming. Prefer using a PC but don't want it to be too complicated or require a programming degree. Not sure I like the idea of using a Sony remote...

-MUST MOVE LIKE A REAL TANK!! Whatever control board can make it lumber as slowly and "heavily" as a real King Tiger as possible. I realize a lot of the "Tokyo drift" problem must be the gearing on the stock zinc gearbox, but that slow to fast transition has to be the HL MFU. I purchased the Mato 5:1 steel gearbox which is supposed to be a drop-in fit and hope this will help, but the radio and board will be critical in making the beast move realistically.

-No intent to do IR battling. I might use the airsoft once in a while, but probably not often. I'd like to do a barrel recoil mod someday, but depends how complicated it is.

-Don't care about smoker and will remove my unit entirely.

-My 8 channel Hitec is probably overkill but I'd like to map all the major functions (main gunfire; machine gun; lights; startup/shutdown sound; soundtrack files) to separate switches.

-I don't mind spending upward of $150 (i.e. not looking for cheapest board possible), but would prefer not to overpay for features I may not need.

Those are my main needs/disinclinations. Thanks for any and all ideas. Sorry for the super long post! Oh, and here's a pic of Erika and Maho in the King Tiger for those of you GuP fans. I plan on repainting in basic Dunkelgelb with minimal weathering like in the show.
Last edited by tankgirlfuzzy on Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:33 am, edited 4 times in total.
Tank Girl
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: Which control board--for ME?

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

My godness I am SO surprised. Finally I found somebody that wants to have the same features in a board as me!!!

I am in the hobby for years and I think I have not found anybody caring about user sounds at all, and also nobody caring about feeling the tank like a real tank. Most people sticks to (sorry guys) Tamiya and clark boards which wont let you have that.

Sadly there are not a lot of boards that will let you do what you request. Discard all the stock ones (Heng Long, Tamiya, Taigen)... Discard also Clark, because those have no memory for user sounds, and a laughable but shamefull total amount of memory of 4 mbs.

Discard those that are unobtainable today, but have extra sounds like the ASP 2 (I have one and I play with it about 50 marches/music/voices with the flick of a switch) Nobody (but me) seemed to like it, so it has been discontinnued. Maybe somebody sells one second hand, we never know.

Then there is also the open panzer board, which wired with a Benedini Mini V2 lets you play up to half and hour of user sounds, the Open Panzer has been discontinnued too, but you still can find them in forums.

So at this point I think you only have the IBU2U Pro, which lets you play up to 4 user sounds, and the Elmod Fusion pro, which lets you play 8, but as far as I know it will be software updated with more in the future, so I think it could play 16 or even 32 user sounds. But currently 8, no limit in lenght. It also plays up to 16 ambient sounds that plays randomly.

Regarding the tank feeling like a tank, well, you can make any tank feeling like a tank if you have a decent radio and program it. Again, nobody seems to care about it and most of the people are happy jackrabitting back and forward. I dont know which radio you have, but heading back to the Elmod fusion pro, is you can easily adjust the board to behave like a real heavy tank, with inertia, momentum, and ever gear changes which is very cool and realistic.

So if I were you and you really love sounds, I'd grab an Elmod Fusion Pro. You can also asign any function to any switch like I did here:

phpBB [video]

Oh I almost forgot, the big contra of that board, is the price... But hey...
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Did someone say Girls und Panzer?

That's my 1/6 Hetzer (.50 caliber paintball main gun! Arrr, Arrr, Arrr!) with temporary GuP markings to get a laugh from Alpha, a HUGE GuP fan that's no longer a member here.

As for the board, I pretty much agree with Rad, if you can afford it, go for the elmod, if not, the ibu2pro.

If you want to go cheap and still get much better control and sounds than stock (but still no programmable sound), the stock Taigen V3 system is cheap and has much better control than any HL tank. You can run the board with the stock TX or use your own 6ch and it performs really well, but I don't think it will have enough sound features for you.

BTW, you know me at RCU as Crius.

Hope that helps.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
RenoirLV
Corporal

Post by RenoirLV »

Hi, as far as realistic speed is concerned one way is to get another gearbox. I have a stock HL mfu in one of my Tigers. But I have the Mato gearboxes and no drift is possible. But better still is to have both.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
Started as a tank man.
2x early Tiger 1's made from parts of HL, Taigen, Mato and whatever I saw suitable.
Ural 4320 (~1/12)
WPL B36 Ural
tankgirlfuzzy
Recruit

Post by tankgirlfuzzy »

Thanks all so far! Keep 'em coming!

I forgot to add that my stock mfu was the gold label (5.3) one. Added into top post.
Tank Girl
RenoirLV
Corporal

Post by RenoirLV »

Wasn't the gold label for 6.0 or 6.3 or something? 5.3 is the same old look. It says Tank on it. I have one. With dual sound. All is fine except driving at low speed. It actually often jumps from hardly moving to racing. The previous versions of the mfu were better at low speeds.

Started as a tank man.
2x early Tiger 1's made from parts of HL, Taigen, Mato and whatever I saw suitable.
Ural 4320 (~1/12)
WPL B36 Ural
tankgirlfuzzy
Recruit

Post by tankgirlfuzzy »

No, the 6.0 says "6.0" on the label, according to Google. Mine just says "Tank" on it.
Last edited by tankgirlfuzzy on Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tank Girl
tankgirlfuzzy
Recruit

Post by tankgirlfuzzy »

So, it seems like the early consensus is the Elmod board is best, followed by the IBU2U, for my needs. I didn't want to prejudice the comments, and I suppose more will chime in, but I was originally leaning towards the IBU board. It's not the money, although it's nice that it's somewhat cheaper (not by much). It's the level of complexity and the required software interface which turns me off of the Elmod a bit. Yes it's more powerful and feature rich, as well as being able to have more user sounds. But 4 pieces of music seems plenty to me (I can always swap out different music if they bore me), and I like the almost idiot proof method of channel/switch/function selection of the IBU (voice prompt, wiggle the stick or flip the switch? Is it that easy?), and instead of another software program interface I need to figure out, it uses notepad to configure functions and parameters.

Perhaps I should have emphasized the "ease of use/programming" factor more. From looking at the manuals, the Elmod seems like it requires a bit more effort to unlock its features, and this tank is supposed to be a low fuss, tool around fun tank that can play music (but still look cool and move realistically). I'll be painting it up like in the show--clean, no weathering--so this is not some sort of scale masterwork I'm aiming for.

So given my reservations, do you think the IBU2U board might work better for me?
Tank Girl
RenoirLV
Corporal

Post by RenoirLV »

Elmod has a Bluetooth module which lets you configure your tank on the move. They have an Android app for that. I don't believe it gets easier than that.

Started as a tank man.
Ural 4320 (~1/12)
WPL B36 Ural
tankgirlfuzzy
Recruit

Post by tankgirlfuzzy »

Sorry, iphone only, no android, so that doesn't help me. But thanks for the input anyway!

Hmmm, surely more than 3 people have an opinion on this? Maybe it's the time of year when people aren't really paying attention...
Tank Girl

Return to “General Discussion”