Hooben Elephant reviews

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
Ragnar
Corporal

Hooben Elephant reviews

Post by Ragnar »

Wondering where I could possibly find a review of the Hooben Elephant?
But it’s a dry heat!
HL Panzer III
Taigen Tiger 1 Mid Metal edition
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: Hooben Elephant reviews

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good morning,
Take the advice that I was given ( years before the rtr version came out ) Build it as a kit.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

PainlessWolf wrote:Good morning,
Take the advice that I was given ( years before the rtr version came out ) Build it as a kit.
regards,
Painless
Is the RTR that bad?
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good afternoon,
There was a very bad review of it on the Forum. I cannot remember from whom. Out in the greater world, people have placed it alongside Hooben's recent Sherman release. "Simplified over the kit version" Good looks but bad execution is what I got out of it. This could be along the lines of the HL Tiger 1 which requires polishing but is capable of being a gem with elbow grease ( and parts ) applied. I have the kit and will be happy to just build it.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
Woz
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Woz »

I've just done a review of it on my Blog-
https://warrenhudsonmodelling.blogspot. ... efant.html

It's a nice model but it has its faults.

I'm editing a video of the test run.

(Curse you Microsoft why did you dump Moviemaker).
Xiaoshan_Sailor
Sergeant

Post by Xiaoshan_Sailor »

Ouch! I've been to Hooben's workshop a few times since I live in the area but can't for the life of me understand why any supplier would ever want to send quality like that out. :O
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by MichaelC »

So is the RTR version build quality the problem ? I assume they use the same kit.

I just purchase the "Full Option" kit without electronics. They definition is kinda funny:

ARTR - no radio/receiver buit built.
Full Option - kit, No electronics but with all the mechanical parts (i.e. gearbox, motors, recoil units, rotation and elevation)
Static - I assume no mechanical bits what so ever ?

MichaelC.
Woz
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Woz »

It's not that it is a bad model it's just that for the price you'd expect it to be put together better and any problems fixed before they're sent to the customer.

Hoobens problem is that Heng Long are now producing much better tanks (with better electronics) at a much lower price. So the only people who are going to buy a Hooben are those few tankers who want something a bit rarer and are prepared to pay more on something that'll need fixing before it can be used.
Ragnar
Corporal

Post by Ragnar »

Woz wrote:It's not that it is a bad model it's just that for the price you'd expect it to be put together better and any problems fixed before they're sent to the customer.

Hoobens problem is that Heng Long are now producing much better tanks (with better electronics) at a much lower price. So the only people who are going to buy a Hooben are those few tankers who want something a bit rarer and are prepared to pay more on something that'll need fixing before it can be used.
Exactly my thought,beautiful looking and desirable but sorry to say I will pass on on this one for now,and look again at the Taigen full metal Panzer IV that’s suppose to be shipping this month.
But it’s a dry heat!
HL Panzer III
Taigen Tiger 1 Mid Metal edition
mutt71
Lance Corporal

Post by mutt71 »

I am happy that Woz has posted his review here for us to read and have a better understanding of what is good and not so good on this offering of the Ferdinand. I have no doubt that Woz will get to the issues of thus kit/RTR and iron them out, so that anyone that buys one will be able to enjoy it to the fullest once the upgrade parts (when available) can be purchased and installed, to make these RC vehicles what they should have been from the Hooben factory. I do not see one in my immediate future but will also be looking towards the Panzer IV, once it is available.
Last edited by mutt71 on Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
HL Snow Leopard Pershing PRO
HL Panzer III X2
HL Panther G
HL Stug IIIG PRO X2
HL Sherman PRO 105
HL Panzer IV
HL King Tiger PRO X2
1/16 DUKW Hull

Return to “General Discussion”