Taigen Tiger 1 Turret No recoil question

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
Craigm1992
Private

Taigen Tiger 1 Turret No recoil question

Post by Craigm1992 »

20190630_135434-2.jpg
Hello all

I recently put on a Taigen Tiger 1 early version IR turret with recoil, (No BB gun) onto my IBU2 board taigen lower hull with torsion bar suspesion.

A recent test I did had everything working fine, but for a reason I don't yet know the turret recoil is not working. I have checked the on/off switch for the servo under the loaders hatch was set to on (that caught me out before :S ) and it was.

I have painted the gun barrel and sprayed it to give a winter apperance and I am wondering if I may have accidentally got paint in the barrel and jammed it. When I fire the gun the audio of the firing gun works perfectly well as do the lights and other aspects of the tank.

I have attached some photos of my IBU2 board and the inner of the turret, I can provide more if that helps.

If I have posted this in the wrong section of the forum I apologise.
Attachments
20190630_135513-2.jpg
20190630_135435-2.jpg
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: Taigen Tiger 1 Turret No recoil question

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

If I remember correctly, there's an earth wire (though it may be coloured red) which needs to be connected to the battery negative pole (on the main power switc), in order for the recoil to receive juice. This has cropped up as an issue several times before. I'll see if I can find an example for you.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Hmm..to make the Taigen IR recoil work, you'll need one of these power cables. The extra red lead (with bullet type connector) provides a ground connection for the Recoil/elevation unit. Without it, the unit won't function properly. :)
Taigen power cable and switch for IR recoil unit
Taigen power cable and switch for IR recoil unit
Taigen IR power cable.jpg (42.61 KiB) Viewed 1357 times
There's a brief explanation (in a footnote) here on the Taigentanks website:
https://www.taigentanks.com/taigen-part ... /tag120600
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good afternoon,
A quick and easy way to fix this ( and give yourself a little extra length and a quick disconnect for ' if ever' ) is to take one of those old, 27mhz, stock Heng Long two part antenna cables and use one half of that to plug into the section from the Taigen switch. Solder the other end to a solid ground\earth and your recoil will work!
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
Craigm1992
Private

Post by Craigm1992 »

I think I have a taigen power switch and it is the one I use on the tank.

Having looked at it, it does not seem to have the black lead with the black sleeve on the end so I may have got it mixed up with another power switch, (quite possible I'm quite inexperienced at RC tanks but have slowly picked up some pointers on wiring, batteries and painting etc.)

I've added some pics of the switch and how I tried to connect it to the turret, top pic with my finger holding the black plastic insulation sleeve and white bit of tape is the turret connection.

I had the recoil working before but other things meant there were gaps in when I worked on the tank and I forgot what happened to my previous switch setup, or if it is the same switch.
Attachments
20190701_171023.jpg
20190701_172717.jpg
20190701_172752.jpg
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Taigen make two types of power switch: one with the extra red lead that becomes the recoil unit's earth (ground), when connected directly to the matching cable on the recoil unit- and one without the extra cable.
Buy, and fit, the one intended for the Taigen IR unit. They're not expensive, and should resolve this mystery.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

IR wiring diagram for recoil unit
IR wiring diagram for recoil unit
The ground wire (top left in the diagram) connects directly to the red bullet connector wire on the Taigen IR type power lead. It's a simple push-fit connection, with no tricky soldering.
Click on the pic to ENLARGE it. :)
Craigm1992
Private

Post by Craigm1992 »

I definitely think I got mixed up when buying the switch, cheers for the clarifcation and helpful diagram :thumbup:

Always useful to have a spare switch anyways just in case.

So for the ground wire from the turret to the taigen ir bullet connector on the power switch would i just push them in and tape them together with some tape to keep them together if it does not require any soldering?

Also I've noticed that on some power switches the bullet connector is red and some it's black, the photo 43rd posted it's red and the link Forgebear posted it's black, I'm guessing they are the same bullet type connector just with differing wire colours?

Return to “General Discussion”