Modelling Mishaps

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
Mic
Private

Modelling Mishaps

Post by Mic »

I thought this would make an interesting topic of conversation! :) After a mishap I encountered last night....

Did you know superglue can cause a chemical/thermal reaction to cotton? No.. I didn't. Sure we've all had the odd drop of superglue on a piece of clothing, but what happens when you spill said bottle of superglue? What's the first thing you do? That primal instinct.. You reach for something to clean it up before you get superglue dripping everywhere! Of course you do. As did I, when I quickly grabbed a piece of kitchen roll to clean it up as fast as possible and then realised that said kitchen roll had melted to my fingers within seconds and gone hard - during these seconds, smoke started to emit from my fingers, burning them, resulting in blisters this morning! The look of horror as it burned and there was sweet bugger all I could do to get it off.

Bad times were had :(

So what mishaps have you had?
Mic
Private

Re: Modelling Mishaps

Post by Mic »

Wardog wrote:Talking about surperglue,I had big holes in my jacket pockets,so I used super glue instead of trying to stitch them.i didn't have a wife to do it.
:clap: Resourceful!
Schultzy
Private

Post by Schultzy »

I’ve hacked through my finger with a surgical scalpel (note to self from that time onwards, coming home from the pub and then deciding to do some model making is not a good idea).

The other major mishap was building a fibre optic star destroyer, adding additional bulbs for the over 400 fibre optics I thought would look better, super gluing it together as had spent 4 months to that point on it and was going to finish the bloody thing and then, yes, then trying the electrics to find I’d wired it in series rather than parallel...

If only I had had a Lab Pack from school to increase the amps...epic fail!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

I managed to slice into a quarter of the tip of my thumb with a modelling blade before I realised what I was doing, 8O I wiped the wound with Super Glue even as I was trying to stop the blood.
I have a scar but I did manage to save the NHS from extra work :lolno:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

I was super gluing and didn't pay attention to how I held the bottle in one hand as I held the toy with the other. I dripped LOTS of super glue on my T shirt where it was resting on the top of my fat belly, I first realised when I felt a very hot burning sensation on my belly.
Yes, I ended up with a belly burn. And when trying to remove the excess glue from T shirt, the cotton/material went brittle and crumbled away.
My Dr Who Cyber Man T shirt was ruined with a big hole in it :'(
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Mic
Private

Post by Mic »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:I was super gluing and didn't pay attention to how I held the bottle in one hand as I held the toy with the other. I dripped LOTS of super glue on my T shirt where it was resting on the top of my fat belly, I first realised when I felt a very hot burning sensation on my belly.
Yes, I ended up with a belly burn. And when trying to remove the excess glue from T shirt, the cotton/material went brittle and crumbled away.
My Dr Who Cyber Man T shirt was ruined with a big hole in it :'(
Better your belly than your man parts! Some of the super glue went on my leather chair right between my legs... Lucky call I think!
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Yeah, saved by the bell-y lol.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Mic
Private

Post by Mic »

Eastern Front wrote:Well,

I have used sterile super glue to weld wounds, they use that instead of the old stitches sometimes. Also good with steri strips.

As far as mishaps, hmmm, have to think long on that one, never stabbed myself, never cut myself, never glued my private parts to my belly...Pretty much covers the super glue and sharp object fails... I have glued a part on, then realized I had to cut it off later to make a change, does that count?

What about X-wives? They were very detrimental to AFV creation? That is why they are X's :D :D :D :D

Cheers!!!
Rumour has it.. A big name superglue brand is exactly the same as what they use in hospitals, except it's sold in a different bottle, placed in a fridge and sold for much more.

I've used superglue a number of times to close cuts, does the job, sterile or not!
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Post by silversurfer1947 »

It is interesting reading the wikipedia entry for cyanoacrylates. Some useful information.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good afternoon,
I always figured if it was good enough for the Joes in Vietnam, it was more than good enough for me. Many, many patch jobs on the fingers over the years. Works great!
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...

Return to “General Discussion”