Are 3D models really Scratch Built.

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: Are 3D models really Scratch Built.

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

I think this thread is pushing more than one of Wayne's buttons :haha:
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

Strangely when I built my first 3D printer that was an achievement in itself, getting it to work was another, getting it to print was yet another. I progressed and started designing simple parts, and then progressed to more complex stuff. It was always a juggling act between getting the printer to function properly and getting acceptable quality out of it. It frequently required considerable maintenance.

I bought a second kit, that printed a different way...and that one was a nightmare.

Then things suddenly evolved and along came Creality with a printer that was pre-assembled and worked out of the box. I now spend my time designing rather than tracing wiring, replacing boards, and playing with Arduino programming.

Am I scratch building? I asked myself the same question when I started out? I was building tanks using styrene sheet, and loved it, I actually felt a bit guilty for printing parts, but the printer was a challenge, and still is, I just like to keep trying new things and seeing if I can design a part that does the job. I'm learning all the time, 4 years after I started. The irony is, and I know others do it, is that we spend 5 times longer designing and printing a part than it would have taken to make it out of styrene.

What makes the difference is making multiple identical parts, perfect symmetry on parts, and parts that fit together. The slight downside is that styrene is silky smooth, printed parts aren't, and that will always bug me. :|
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

midlife306 wrote:Absolutely no scratch building involved in 3D printing lol
I mean, just hit a button & out it pops
Cheers
Wayne

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Recognise that sus setup.
Will yours do this though?
phpBB [video]

I like to think that was mostly scratchbuilt aswell.

Wayne, are you accidentally showing off Top Secret war office developments? Hehe
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät
HL Sherman project?

1/24 Leopard 2 Custom mod

2 many trucks to list!
midlife306
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by midlife306 »

Well, it's going to have a twin high torque motor setup, I don't think it'll do donuts, but you never know, it will be strong enough for anything
Cheers
Wayne

Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

midlife306 wrote:Well, it's going to have a twin high torque motor setup, I don't think it'll do donuts, but you never know, it will be strong enough for anything Image
Cheers
Wayne

Awesome. Don't break those axles haha
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät
HL Sherman project?

1/24 Leopard 2 Custom mod

2 many trucks to list!
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Eastern Front wrote:No Sir! I always remember everything, since my Hemorrhage had adequate time to heal I thought i would revisit the whole wounding process! :haha: :haha: :haha:
Do you mean Haemorrhage or Hemorrhoids? Thought I'd better clarify as you Americans have some weird "English"
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
lady.tigger
Recruit

Post by lady.tigger »

Crikey this topic still going, I did not think for one minute that it would create so many comment's. :wave: :crazy: :crazy: I will try and think of another wind up, if only to give Wayne a bit of peace. :haha:

Return to “General Discussion”