Which tank to buy?

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
Thechap1
Recruit

Which tank to buy?

Post by Thechap1 »

I'm in the market to purchase an RC tank. I want a tank that can be used in a fairly rough terrain, maybe climbing 30 degrees or so. Moveable turrent and the airsoft gun.

I'm in the United States. I have no idea what to purchase. I want something that is going to last at least for a little while. Both my sons just got into RC cars. I want the tank though. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Chap
JohnWhyte
Corporal

Re: Which tank to buy?

Post by JohnWhyte »

I would have to say a heng long taigen or torro Sherman or tiger as there are plenty of parts that you can get for replacements
T-34
2 Pz.4
Korean Pershing
2 M50
2 M51
M1
2 King Tiger
2 Jagdpanzer E75
Alligator
E25 Ausf D
E75
E50
T32
Radar Panther
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Welcome aboard! I highly recommend the Taigen Tiger 1 with metal tracks and the latest electronics. I started with a Heng Long and ended up replacing 95% of it with Taigen parts. Good luck with whatever you end up getting.
Schultzy
Private

Post by Schultzy »

Jimster wrote:Welcome aboard! I highly recommend the Taigen Tiger 1 with metal tracks and the latest electronics. I started with a Heng Long and ended up replacing 95% of it with Taigen parts. Good luck with whatever you end up getting.
I would second this if you are going to get serious about tanks.

I just got my second tank and it is a Heng Long that has had its parts replaced.

Indeed, further changes I’d like to make mean buying from other providers.

In short, unless you want to do the job yourself, buy Taigen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Many of us started with a Heng Long/Taigen/Torro Tiger 1, The reasons are that it is a lot of Tank for the money, There is a much wider range of upgrades for it than any other 1/16 RC Tank and probably more important it is very roomy inside the Hull so that a novice is less likely to inadvertently damage any wiring,
IMEX in Florida is a Taigen Dealer, the RC Armour department is under the aegis of "ERIK" he is helpful and has done many "U TUBE" show and tells which make fixing and upgrading your Tank even easier,
If you have deep pockets then I would recommend Tamiya as a first purchase,
Expensive but rightly regarded as the best available Tank in 1/16 although its electrics are getting a bit dated and you have to build the tank yourself (Which some of us think is an advantage) whereas the others are ready to run out of the box.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Thechap1
Recruit

Post by Thechap1 »

I wanted to keep the price around $300 or so. Thanks to everyone for the advice.
RenoirLV
Corporal

Post by RenoirLV »

Jimster wrote:Welcome aboard! I highly recommend the Taigen Tiger 1 with metal tracks and the latest electronics. I started with a Heng Long and ended up replacing 95% of it with Taigen parts. Good luck with whatever you end up getting.
Well that's the usual story, isn't it? I started the same and now I have two Tigers. Why? Because I ended with so many unused parts due to my trial and error ways that it just made a lot of sense.
I recommend a kit of Torro Tiger. But that's if you don't want an RTR.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
Started as a tank man.
2x early Tiger 1's made from parts of HL, Taigen, Mato and whatever I saw suitable.
Ural 4320 (~1/12)
WPL B36 Ural
Thechap1
Recruit

Post by Thechap1 »

jarndice wrote:Many of us started with a Heng Long/Taigen/Torro Tiger 1, The reasons are that it is a lot of Tank for the money, There is a much wider range of upgrades for it than any other 1/16 RC Tank and probably more important it is very roomy inside the Hull so that a novice is less likely to inadvertently damage any wiring,
IMEX in Florida is a Taigen Dealer, the RC Armour department is under the aegis of "ERIK" he is helpful and has done many "U TUBE" show and tells which make fixing and upgrading your Tank even easier,
If you have deep pockets then I would recommend Tamiya as a first purchase,
Expensive but rightly regarded as the best available Tank in 1/16 although its electrics are getting a bit dated and you have to build the tank yourself (Which some of us think is an advantage) whereas the others are ready to run out of the box.
Would this be the right one?

TORRO 709 - RC 1:16 TIGER 1 with Infrared Battlesystem - 2.4 GHz Proportionate Control, Beige
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

Its not the one he meant. That a Torro branded WSN Tiger 1. Its cheap but it has a IR battle system that you only use against their cheap T34 or a LG tv hand set!! It looks nice but it appeared to be a sealed unit with no standard components.

Go to the Torro site. They do a version of thevTiget1 with metal components for around the price you mentioned and it does use components that can be upgraded if need be.
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Go to ----------
www.imex-model.com/
And find the Tank that interests you most.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:

Return to “General Discussion”