In the Workshop

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
c.rainford73
Major

Re: In the Workshop

Post by c.rainford73 »

Ok as I'm currently working with the tamiya on my bench as we speak, from the engine deck to the center high point of the schurzen its 3.81cm or exactly 1.5"

Taigen in a bit.....
Tanks alot.... :wave:
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Ok so to my surprise, and I can assure you I wasn't expecting anything like this......

Mr Bix they are exactly the same height from the flat just below the surface of the engine deck to the top of the schurzen plate!!

Totally unexpected result....

My theory is that Taigen has done thier homework and its damn spot on versus the Tamiya with the reworked turret basket.Image

I know my taigen deck isn't sloped, but unless I've really matched the tamiya schurzen to the taigen turret its damn close. Keep in mind I purchased Rads panzer IV weeks before I recieved this Tamiya piece. :think:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

A brace of beauties indeed, Carl. :thumbup: $230 is a fantastic price for a Tamiya Pz IV rolling chassis...considering what I spent to build one purely from their spare parts :O (ah...yes, but it was an experiment... :/ :problem: )
Shaun is right, of course, about Tamiya having the details right from the outset. That's why I just had to have one. It is possible to trim a fillet out of the engine deck on a Taigen, to mimic the correct slope on the Tamiya. I did that with the Asiatam Stug upper hull- but, it's fairly tricky. :| But, IMHO, once you begin to notice how wrong the engine deck is, the urge to correct it becomes a constant nag ( a bit like the outdated stereotypical image of the 'Housewife' :haha: )
I do disagree with Shaun on one point, however- although the young 'uns have to go to work for their keep, it's still a full-time job being a coffin-dodger pensioner :lolno: (Staying alive is hard work :D )
Roy.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Soeren
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Soeren »

Great stuff Carl. You have some real nice tanks there
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Thank you Roy and Soeren. They really have properly filled my nerd for a panzer iv. With the price of the roller tamiya I couldn't resist. Now to have some time to assemble more parts and electronics.....
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

I've yet to check the fit, but do taigen metal tracks fit the tamiya panzer iv sprockets? I know impact used to make them. I really just want to add one plastic track link to each side for some sag and or replace them with aftermarket ones in metal .....
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

By the way, what did you use to secure the Tamiya skirt armour to the metal turret ?
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

c.rainford73 wrote:I've yet to check the fit, but do taigen metal tracks fit the tamiya panzer iv sprockets? I know impact used to make them. I really just want to add one plastic track link to each side for some sag and or replace them with aftermarket ones in metal .....Image
Hi, if it is my exPIV, the sprochet are not tamiya. The tamiya parts are the road wheels, bushings, the idler, and the full suspension, but the sprochets there are Asiatam. The reason of that is the tamiya sprochets are not compatible with non tamiya axles.
Also those sprochets have metal caps, when the tamiya ones are plastic. In my opinion the asiatams are better.
The tracks? Those are nuke proof Mato tracks. Seriously best tracks ever. You can buy spare links from mato in aliexpress, just write them and ask for as many links as you need.

Hope it helps and take it as some sort of after sales support, lol.

I just realized I answered an old message.

Well, take it as a late reply after sales support then, lol.
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/

Return to “General Discussion”