Bastogne Barracks Sherman Firefly

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
43rdRecceReg
Major

Bastogne Barracks Sherman Firefly

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

For members who don't receive Tanknews from The Tankmuseum, the Bastogne Barracks Sherman Firefly will be clanking (or even drifting :D ) into view at Tankfest 2019. :) Yay !!!
According to the promo, this will be the first ever opportunity to see a Sherman Firefly trundling around at a Tankfest. Tankfest 2019 runs from 28/06/19 to 30/06/19. incidentally.
https://tankmuseum.org/year-news/bovnews70410
phpBB [video]

It looks like a golden opportunity to record some great sounds (and images) on your trusty smartphone :thumbup: I think I shall make an effort to get there; even though it's over 600 miles from my home. How's that for addiction? :lolno:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: Bastogne Barracks Sherman Firefly

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Well, since this info relates to the Firefly, I thought it might be worthwhile adding a few pics I took of Bovington's own Firefly Vc. Snaps like can these often come in handy for builders seeking a few extra details. :|
At a glance, they're another incentive, perhaps, to visit The Tankmuseum-Bovington, if you've not been there before. :) :thumbup: The food's not bad there either :thumbup:
It's tricky finding a good position to snap some of the exhibits. Sometimes there are signs, and determined enthusiasts in the way too.... :eh: :lolno:
Looks like someone's pinched the headlights from this example. :shifty:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

I have driven through Bastogne in the past; but didn't get the opportunity of looking at the Battle of the Bulge Museums, and Memorials there. They're worth a peek, in my opinion, from looking at the links below :thumbup:
Here's a link to the Bastogne Barracks Museum, whose fully functional Sherman Firefly Vc will be participating in Tankfest.
https://www.bulge1944.com/bastogne-barracks/

Here we have a couple of gateway portals to Battle of the Bulge Museums in Belgium.
https://www.bulge1944.com/battle-of-the-bulge-museums/
http://www.battleofthebulgememories.be/ ... ennes.html

The last link I find particularly interesting, as it deals with the role the British Army (and especially XXX Corps) played in the Battle. In all the movie footage of the battle I've seen hitherto (Hollywood or otherwise), the Brits have been airbrushed out. Without a doubt, the US forces bore the brunt of the assault, along with huge losses; but the 51st Highland Division (+ 43rd Wessex in support) stopped the Germans from crossing the Meuse in their section of the line. What's more, 3rd RTR tanks crossed the Meuse and halted the advance of the 2nd Panzer Division. :thumbup: Yay! So, we kept our end up, (so to speak :D )
What caught my attention, was the support role of 43rd Wessex. That was my late Dad's division, and I was unaware of its presence there. He only ever mentioned that the Reichswald Forest and Kleve campaigns
were particularly brutal, and that he lost a couple of good friends there... :|
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

See capt midnight, it's not just me that talks to themselves. . . . :O

But, as I'm here. . . .

Thank you for posting all this Roy :thumbup: it will all help and go towards my research :clap:
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:See capt midnight, it's not just me that talks to themselves. . . . :O

But, as I'm here. . . .

Thank you for posting all this Roy :thumbup: it will all help and go towards my research :clap:
:haha: :haha:
I think I've said it before, Mick, that it's often said that if you live in a remote crofting community, after six months you begin to talk to yourself. After a year, you talk to the sheep. After 18 months, the sheep begin to talk back... :haha: ....sooo..I'm used to it. :)
In the event, I enjoy digging info out and collating it. It might be useful someday... (ahh.. hmm.. that's a phrase used by hoarders, but still applies. :) )
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Well, I really appreciate your efforts, thank you :thumbup:
Especially as I should be picking up Tom's IC firefly project on the 7th. . . . Yeah, I know, more Sherman projects for my collection :haha:

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:Well, I really appreciate your efforts, thank you :thumbup:
Especially as I should be picking up Tom's IC firefly project on the 7th. . . . Yeah, I know, more Sherman projects for my collection :haha:
...... :D Ahh..I did wonder who'd got their lucky mitts on that tasty kit. Looks like your backlog of Tank to- do's is growing remorselessly apace, Mick, and now..another Sherman, eh 8O . :thumbup: Have you got a good secret place to stash these, out of Wifey's unerring gaze?
There are plus points in building the M4 Ic (welded) Firefly. One: it's the rarest of the three versions, and Two; you can use the M4A3 lower hull, without having to get out the surgical saw to tri-sect and 'stretch' it ..a lot of hard work (and which would also mean adding extra links to the tracks). In short, a great choice...especially with all that inbuilt Nick Aguilar detail and cache (Rolex rather than Timex ;) )
Looking forward to seeing you put that lot together, Mick :thumbup:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

...and here's pic of that rarity you'll be fixated upon, Mick, once the build begins (a too-late-to-stop-now moment!) Tanks have a reverse gear, but for kit builders/addicts...it's totally absent :D )

I also found this fascinating black and white comparison between the cross-country performances of the Sherman, and the Panther. Very revealing..
phpBB [video]
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Oh crap, I better start collecting Panther builds instead. . . . Only kidding :D I still don't have a panther.

Thank you very much for the picture, that really is a good one. Luckily I'm not phased by cutting up the chassis for the M4A4, especially as I have one of Dean's resin hulls.
I'm thinking of calling my eventual thread something like, "Mick's Sherman chop shop." My plan is to also acquire a composite, but not sure which one of the three to use for my British version of the "Fury" squad of four tanks, which will mean I have to think up four suitable names :think:
There is a very good reason I'm collecting up lots of different Sherman hulls and chassis and accessories before I start my builds, I want to familiarise myself with all the different makes and their various shapes and sizes before the saws come out :D

As for three Sherman fireflies, hmm, wasn't it the gun flash that caused that nickname :think: therefore you could also have a Cromwell firefly, but, isn't an M10 really a Sherman, and we had the 17pdr SP Achilles M10C, equipped with a 17 pounder "firefly" gun :D
Attachments
220px-M10_Achilles_self-propelled_gun_outside_the_Bastogne_Historical_Centre.jpg
220px-M10_Achilles_self-propelled_gun_outside_the_Bastogne_Historical_Centre.jpg (18.92 KiB) Viewed 1895 times
220px-Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-299-1818-05,_Nordfrankreich,_englischer_Panzer_M10_Achilles.jpg
220px-Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-299-1818-05,_Nordfrankreich,_englischer_Panzer_M10_Achilles.jpg (10.32 KiB) Viewed 1895 times

43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

:D Actually, Mick I'm not sure how the Firefly got its name. I seem to recall that it was used elsewhere in military history once before. Fireflies themselves only live for a day as adults (long enough to mate and lay eggs... or maybe 17 Pounders :lolno: ) In itself, the comparison with the ultra short-lived bioluminescent Firefly, would not have boded well for a tank with a reputation for 'lighting up' at the first strike (Justified or otherwise). :think: Mmm..so... I think, then, that can't be the reason for the name. That said, fireflies exude a chemical when attacked which makes them unappealing (and sometimes lethal) to certain predators. Maybe that's why the tank got the name... :D
So you're going to be known as the 'Chop Shop Kid' in future, then? :) Dean's upper hull, if I remember correctly, hasn't been extended to reflect the overall increase in length of the M4A4 Vc Fireflies. I can't recall, offhand, how Frankie and others matched it up with an elongated lower hull. Maybe it was lengthened as well. :think: However, I think Dean's intention was to match it up with an unchopped hull.
If you get a taste for the surgical saw, it won't matter anyway. :haha:
Yes, the Hybrid 1c looks like a true test for your surgical skills. I've seen a few excellent examples of transplant surgery here on the Forum. :thumbup:
Again, the Ic Hybrid will fit on an unaltered lower hull (as it should), just like the Ic M4 (Welded) kit you got from Tom.
Now, here's novelty from the highly rated Blueprints-com website. It purports to be an M4A2 Firefly Vc. :wtf:
But the turret looks more like the easy Eight, and the gun certainly doesn't have 17-pounder credentials (wrong muzzle-brake, for starters). In fact, it looks like the US 76mm cannon...
https://www.the-blueprints.com/blueprin ... c_firefly/ I'm thinking that Dr Saranga, who posts a lot of these prints, hadn't been to Specsavers lately. Then again, maybe he knows something I don't. Could easily be. :D

Return to “General Discussion”