Bastogne Barracks Sherman Firefly

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: Bastogne Barracks Sherman Firefly

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

I don't think anyone really knows why they got the name, it seems to all be speculation.
As for your blueprint picture, the top two drawings are a firefly, an M4A4, the bottom two aren't. They look like an E8 :think:
Well, I haven't measured Dean's hull yet, although it is a longer than the Mato cast hull, and I know the extended Heng Long chassis will fit, the top hull doesn't overhang the chassis that much on the real one, and I know Frankie extended a Heng Long chassis to fit.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Eastern Front wrote:Yes, you are correct, those two are definitely a Firefly and a "Easy Eight" tanks... I just believe whomever posted those blueprints assumed they were the same thing, which they kinda are. Both are variants of the "Sherman"

All vehicles were the Sherman chassis, the firefly as many here know was just a Sherman fitted with a anti-tank gun (19 pounder)
the M10 was a Sherman base chassis, as was the M36.. Heck, remove the turret of a Sherman and you have a decent prime mover that was pretty darn fast, there are a few photo's of the German troops using it for just that reason, they would not normally consider using at a front-line tank as they considered it inferior.

Given the right upgrades though it was quite formidable, look at the M50/51, they made a big difference in the Yom Kippur war. Of course there is an honorable mention to the Centurion (Shot Kal Dalet) there as well (which I like more than the Sherman) These tanks just plain wore out those Russian tanks during those battles and literally were the line between victory and destruction of Israel.

Cheers!
Yep, E.F., I guessed that they'd somehow merged two variants by mistake. Generally, the prints are spot on...and really useful, but in this instance, the proof reader must have been reading the proof on the bottle :lolno: :D
Yes, again, 180 Centurions took on 800 + T55s and T62s on the Golan Heights. (I've even watched the video of in 'Greatest Tank Battles'). Small groups of Centurions were able to knock out dozens of the Russian opposition, partly because of superior gunnery, but also because the Centurion cannon had far greater range, and accuracy, than the T55 and T62's weapons.
As for a daily armoured runabout for troops, the Ram Kangaroo proved to be popular with Aussie troops (just as the Sherman's reliability appealed to the Germans). Troop carrier-wise, without the turret, the Sherman was a lot harder to hit- much to the relief of the boys inside, I'm sure :D
Here's a pic of the Ram I took at Bovington three years ago. I think I'd prefer a Humvee, though, for a spot of offroading (less claustrophobic :haha: )..
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Thinking about the mention of a 'Cromwell Firefly', well, there was, of course, the Challenger A30. This was an attempt to mount the 17-Pounder on top of a lengthened Cromwell chassis. Only 200 were built because of residual niggles from the Cromwell platform. According to David Fletcher in his 'Sherman Firefly', the chief gripe, though, was the height of the tank- making it a "..more conspicuous target than the Firefly..".
However, this neat height comparison draughted by Richd. Harley shows that the Challenger was not as tall as the Firefly, nor indeed any Sherman (with the obvious exception of the 'Ram' variant :D ):
In time, of course, it was even possible to mount the QF 20-Pounder on the Cromwell with a specially designed turret. Post-war, this was known as the 'Charioteer'. The Challenger name went on to be attached to a more illustrious- and well-loved tank.. ;) One we all know very well. :thumbup:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Back on theme a bit, I found a wee bit more info on the Bastogne Firefly Vc that will be performing at Bovington in June. It has the British serial number T232568...and if there's such a creature as a tank number spotter, they should appreciate that :lolno:
It normally lives at Heintz Barracks, Bastogne, and was built by Chrysler in Oct 1942 with the serial No: 5606. It was, of course, converted later- and improved ( :thumbup: ) by the British.
Curiously, here's a walkabout video of another Firefly at the Barracks. The visitors were warned off climbing onto, or into the tank, but did get an interesting short inside the engine bay.
The moviemaker thinks that there's a Ford GAA V8 in there; but I thought it would have to be the Chrysler multibank, if this is the Vc Firefly (M4A4) version.. :| It's an interesting view, nonetheless :thumbup: (if you happen to be a Tank proctologist) :lolno:
phpBB [video]
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

...and whilst on the subject of Sherman engines, I found this useful comparison of the types used, which (from the first clip) also serves as a visual reminder of why smokers do add authenticity to model tanks :thumbup:
phpBB [video]
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Another inducement to go to the Tankfest 2019- should any be needed- might be the appearance, for the first time, of the Saumer Panther. 8O :thumbup:
https://tankmuseum.org/year-news/bovnews70808
This is the beast that will be taking pride of place ...
phpBB [video]
The Saumer Museum and WOT are offsetting the shipping costs. Good thing they won't have to face the postal surcharges those of us living in the Highlands have to face... >:<
But, C'est tres genereux. nontheless :thumbup:
and may make up, in part, for the lack of a Tommy memorial on the D-Day beaches...

Return to “General Discussion”