Here is my Entry into the Fastest RC Electric Tank

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
Tech-Com
Recruit

Here is my Entry into the Fastest RC Electric Tank

Post by Tech-Com »

Would like to see others!
Lots more work to do on this 1/6th Stuart, but this was the hardest and most demanding aspect of the electronic modifications.

phpBB [video]
Last edited by Tech-Com on Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
midlife306
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: Here is my Entry into the Fastest RC Electric Tanks

Post by midlife306 »

Hehe, that’s brilliant
Cheers
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Thought it was meant to do a scale speed, not actual speed lol.
That runs rather well :thumbup:
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

The Brits once had a WW1 tank called the 'Whippet' (but it was, in fact, quite slow). Yours, however, goes like a Greyhound :D
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: Here is my Entry into the Fastest RC Electric Tank

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good evening,
That's Heng Long all right. I'm looking for a faster than dual 550 can stock speed but not quite that fast. Great work and following your electronic discoveries since I have to do something sooner or later.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
Tech-Com
Recruit

Post by Tech-Com »

PainlessWolf wrote:Good evening,
That's Heng Long all right. I'm looking for a faster than dual 550 can stock speed but not quite that fast. Great work and following your electronic discoveries since I have to do something sooner or later.
regards,
Painless
The Heng Long board isn't being used to to drive the motors, only control some relays, so it isn't the culprit of the overheating, it's actually under way less stress than it would be in a normal tank.

The culprit is the foot or so of wire that came with the tank that connects to the battery.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good morning T.C.,
That's interesting for sure since so much space has to be covered between the power source and the mfu. Lets see what that 10 gauge wire does to the set up since like you, I will be using a manufacturers board for the Stuart, not the one that came in it.
regards and following along
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
Tech-Com
Recruit

Post by Tech-Com »

PainlessWolf wrote:Good morning T.C.,
That's interesting for sure since so much space has to be covered between the power source and the mfu. Lets see what that 10 gauge wire does to the set up since like you, I will be using a manufacturers board for the Stuart, not the one that came in it.
Painless
I'm still using the front board that came with the tank, I call it the relay board, as it has the 4 high amp relays used to drive the motors. The receiver board in the middle of the tank is not in use at all.
Power Goes into the front board just like it did with the original tank, this is where everything is melting lol.

Upgrading to the HL board is super easy.
If you wanted to use the HL board with the original Stuart Motors, you would leave everything wired exactly the way it is, except cut the original white ribbon cable going to the middle of the tank. Attach the 4 middle wires in the white ribbon cable to your HL motor output, and then use a completely different battery 7.5V source for the HL board, it cannot have a common ground with your relay board without additional electronic work, so stepping down the voltage won't work, has to be a different battery. It will then drive just like the original. Then plug the speaker, turret and dart motor wires into your heng long board. It is super easy.
It will however be only full power throttle operation, no partial throttle use.

My final version will have low speed operation as well, but it will be a lot more complex.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good afternoon,
I've been talking off and on with Stian \ Maxmekker, the Clark Board guy here on the Forums. Clark should have a board that will resolve a lot of the wiring issues and allow me to set up the Stuart like any tank with their T-24 series board. I wanted better motors but think that I am going to go with the 550s that came with the tank since their current draw falls within what Clark is thinking for their large scale tank board.
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

Return to “General Discussion”