Scratch build / bespoke models

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
afterdark
Recruit

Scratch build / bespoke models

Post by afterdark »

Hi

just wondering, does anyone on here create scratch built models as opposed to building / modifying commercial kits of real world tanks?

If so, I would be interested to hear / see more of your work and experiences? I am experimenting with 3D printing and giving my imagination some creative license to see where it takes me :)

Slow going but hugely rewarding - leading more than I thought I ever would!

Let me know your thoughts...

cheers

Paul
tomhugill
Captain

Re: Scratch build / bespoke models

Post by tomhugill »

Hey Paul,

There are afew members in here who do just that. Check out the work of Wibblywobbly, alwyn turner, woz to.name but afew! Some very interesting projects completed and underway. Theres a chap call Wayne (midlife306) who's printing a 1/6 t35!!!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

Post by ronnie42 »

Hi 3D printing is the way forward , i am waiting a while until they improve . What puts me off is printing time , wasted support surfaces and not having a perfect surface . Suppose software and machines are getting better.
afterdark
Recruit

Post by afterdark »

ronnie42 wrote:Hi 3D printing is the way forward , i am waiting a while until they improve . What puts me off is printing time , wasted support surfaces and not having a perfect surface . Suppose software and machines are getting better.
Hey! Completely agree! Not the cheapest or quickest way to get results but the versatility and flexibility more than compensate imho
Quality depends in part on printer model and it’s setup - seen some amazing results from my model - not by me of course as I have only had it a month or so Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

You should be able to find the majority of scratch-built models in the 'Builds and Mods/Other builds' section of topic Categories listed in the General index..
That's: Content/Board Index/Builds and Mods/Other builds.
Using the 'Search' option is, perhaps a quicker portal to finding any scratch-built examples of Tanks/wagons/armoured cars/trucks etc., you happen to have taken a shine to. :thumbup:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
midlife306
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by midlife306 »

If you’re machining metal, high speed & feed rate gives you a part quickly, but you are sacrificing finish & accuracy. It’s exactly the same with 3D printing, it’s just printing speed & layer height.

You just need to adjust your expectations a little.

Think about it this way, I’m currently on with printing just over 300 1/6 scale T35-A track links, at an acceptable finish they take 2.4 hours each to print solid, ie 30 x 24 hour days, I’ve mentally accepted that & I’m just keeping the printer running. My alternatives are nonexistent, no one makes them. If someone did make them you’d be looking at well over £1000 for a set and a lead time of months. In essence 3D printing is cheap & fast lol.
I don’t get off on printing tiny stuff to be honest, I prefer the challenge of big things, I’ve been working on the 1/6 T35 for months now, I’m still months away but if I was going to completely scratch build one it would take years & cost much more.
This 1/16 version, took me about 10 weeks to print.

The model is freely available on Thingiverse & is rather good, it was a no brained to go for 1/6 scale.

Cheers
Wayne

Woz
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Woz »

I've printed a Pz I and Pz II and am working on a Staghound,Cromwell and Matilda (they're just the ones I've started printing). Then there's all the conversions' M7, M3 , M50 etc etc.
lg-249937.jpg
lg-249937.jpg (70.09 KiB) Viewed 1723 times
lg-250652.jpg
lg-250652.jpg (57.01 KiB) Viewed 1723 times
The problem with a 3d printer is that mking stuff is so easy I keep starting new projects before I finish the one I' working on.
midlife306
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by midlife306 »

They look awesome Woz
I need some smaller German armour in my life!!
Cheers
Wayne

PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good morning!
I need some 1/6 Stuart tracks in mine! *chuckles* Beautiful stuff as always.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
Manu-Military
Lance Corporal

Post by Manu-Military »

I do scratchbuild from time to time according to the subject I want to make and the availibility of some parts.
Just check some examples here:
viewtopic.php?f=82&t=26979
viewtopic.php?f=85&t=27113
http://manu-military.e-monsite.com/page ... -tank.html
http://manu-military.e-monsite.com/page ... t-zt2-zt3/

Now, the main issue with 3D is that it's only relying on the capacity of the designer to design a correct shape with correct dimensions.
This not withstanding the fact that some 3D parts are made to match the chinese toys which we alll know are for the least not correct at all in many respects.

I for instance had the opportunity to buy some M4A2 grills that proved to be totally wrong in their dimensions* and their aspect by being totally blind instead of having the grill opened (* I could very easily check this as I personnaly own one real grill out of the two from M4A2 wreck from the Chambois pocket).

I also bought a M4 Sherman 3 piece transmission cover which also proved to be totally inacurrate in its dimension as it was made to match chinese playthings; that are particularly wrong in this very specific area).

Recently I also wanted to buy a M3 Lee cupola but found the part ridiculously wrong compared to any of the actual part photos.

All these annoyances added to the price of 3D parts make me very cautious about the usefulness of many pieces available in 3D.

Return to “General Discussion”