Scratch build / bespoke models

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
midlife306
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: Scratch build / bespoke models

Post by midlife306 »

It’s absolutely about the design, places like shapeways are VERY expensive, you don’t get anywhere near the info you need when you want something so you’ve got to hope it’s the right size & the design is accurate.
Alwyn, Wibbs, Martin & Will design things exactly how they want it to be & what they turn out is excellent!!!
Cheers
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

The key to 3d design and printing for models is research. I always try and get scale blueprints to work from and supplement this with research on sites like prime portal and whatever pictorial information is available, plus wikipedia for scaling cross references on vehicle sizes. Even then it is necessary to cross check with other sources as there are instances where wikipedia tells porkies. At the end of the day models are never going to be 100% accurate because when scaling items there are occasions where parts have to be modified to provide components that work for RC and are strong enough to function as remote control models, accurate sizes would often mean that the parts would simply break when scaled down.

So when we model we always have to compromise, I try to produce something that looks and functions like the real thing, although purists will inevitably argue that the models aren't 'accurate'. If absolute accuracy is what is wanted, then inevitably the outcome will unfortunately not be capable of RC operation but probably would look great on the shelf in a museum.

At the end of the day I produce 3d rc models because I enjoy it and it enables me to create models that usually aren't available in the off the shelf market.

I like to think that our our hobby is about having fun and enjoying model tanking and if that means some inaccuracy then, what the hell, I prefer to have fun. :D :D :crazy:

Alwyn :thumbup: :wave:
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
lady.tigger
Recruit

Post by lady.tigger »

afterdark wrote:Hi

just wondering, does anyone on here create scratch built models as opposed to building / modifying commercial kits of real world tanks?

If so, I would be interested to hear / see more of your work and experiences? I am experimenting with 3D printing and giving my imagination some creative license to see where it takes me :)

Slow going but hugely rewarding - leading more than I thought I ever would!

Let me know your thoughts...

cheers

Paul
Check out the feature 8X8 it's mine but may help.
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

To be honest a mix of styrene and 3D printing often produces the best results. Large flat surfaces can be cut out of styrene in seconds but would take hours to print. The surface will be nice and smooth too.

There is little chance of 3D print quality improving using current melted filament tech. Printers were originally designed to be cheap, self build, DIY tools. The current crop of printers are simply mass produced versions of the original concept. Reliable and user friendly, yes, but there is no way of getting an all over smooth finish when the printing is done with a melted string of filament.

Quality can be improved, but only at the expense of greatly extended print times. Most opt for a decent quality and then smooth it all out with sanding/resin etc.

There are unlikely to be any huge leaps forward in cheap printer tech. Guru's all over the planet have been working on it and no one has come up with anything that will match what we currently have in terms of print volume, and cheap filament.

In all honesty what a printer does, and how it does it, is nothing short of miraculous, it is a combination of very precise parts, some ingenious firmware, and uses recycled plastic.
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1

Return to “General Discussion”