Wartime Wallop show 27th May 2019 -- RC tank demo

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
flytilidie
Recruit

Wartime Wallop show 27th May 2019 -- RC tank demo

Post by flytilidie »

For the past 10 years the museum at Middle wallop airfield (Salisbury ) has been holding a one day show to encourage interest in the museum . The event draws around 1000 visitors and is growing in stature so much so that the organisers are looking for additional groups to add to those that already attend. The show includes static full size helicopters , vintage artillery guns , memorabilia tents , ground based vehicles , RC model aircraft etc all representing WW1 and WW2 era. We have suggested to the organisers that the inclusion of RC model tanks would be very appropriate - they have agreed and are looking for a contact to talk to so that the idea can be promoted. Space is not a problem either for a static show or an area to run the models and demonstrate models in action. Food is available for those that attend as well as full facilities within the museum. So would this be of interest to anyone on this forum , is there a local group or club that would be prepared to bring models and is there a contact person prepared to talk with the museum and offer help. I am part of the group that demonstrates model aircraft at this event for many years now and my aim is to hopefully find a contact for the museum so that RC tanks can become a future feature ,,, the event is always a great day out and very enjoyable. Should this be of interest i can help make you contact with the organiser - be great to have you along and im sure the visitors would be impressed ......
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: Wartime Wallop show 27th May 2019 -- RC tank demo

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Hello there and welcome.

I can't see the people you'd need to talk to on the forum at the moment.

But I'm sure, if none of them appear this evening/tonight, they will probably be along tomorrow.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Love to be involved but I’m a bit far away!
Appreciate the opportunity though Sir
There are many clubs well represented here and I’m sure one or more will soon be in touch
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

I'd be most happy to come along and display but as a contact I'd only be able to help coordinate arrangements re attendance via this forum. I guess you'll benefit from a local club organising the display area so they may as well do both. I do have a portable p.a. system but I've donated my generator to a local RC club. Hindsight eh? I may also still have a 30x10 foot gazebo style waterproof tent suitable for a large team pit but its not an easy-up and can be a bit of a handful, especially if windy! Will house about a dozen pit tables but probably easier for crews to bring their own 3m ones. Any photos of the site?

Sent from my ASUS_T00G using Tapatalk
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
flytilidie
Recruit

Post by flytilidie »

Thanks for all your responses so far, great. Best way to see the sight is google Army Flying Museum - stockbridge. Aerial pictures will give you idea of layout but basically there should be more than adequate room for you to set up gazebos , get your cars close by for unloading and have an area in front of you to display tanks in action. If you look at the aerial view then the museum will be on the right of the picture - to the left of the museum is a hard surface car park - then further left is a large area of grass proximately half the size of a football pitch where the majority of exhibits are set up. The organisers will give you support and help (things like barriers , traffic cones etc are available ) . The show is growing and does get local coverage every year - its just a nice day out to enjoy sharing your passion with interested spectators and as the number of exhibits increase then so does the size of the show. I will advise the organisers that there is interest from the RC tank group ( that way your in the frame at least ) and lets see if we can identify a contact who can then talk directly with Middle Wallop. Thanks for interest and look forward to further responses.. If you google wartime wallop 2018 and select images there are several pictures there that will give you an idea of the event -- thanks again
General Jumbo01

Looks fun, not sure about the dressing up bit ;)

It is on Spring Bank Holiday though which can cause some clashes of interests, both family and hobby! Since its January already, would someone here who has organised Tank gatherings like to sponsor this? I've organised lots of RC meets and events before but never tanks so I'd like to attend one first.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Just like Hermann, there's too much water in between for me to be there but I can offer a couple of words of advice. Here in the states a guy came on one of the forums and wanted to include RC tanks in an RC air show and got a pretty good response. One of the guys volunteered to bring a couple of 1/6 scale Armortek tanks to the show, until the air show guy started advertising that there would be 1/6 scale model tanks wandering through the crowd for them to play with. When the tanker got the visual image of people playing with his $10,000 armortek Tiger 1 he instantly pulled the plug and backed out. The point, and my advice, is that RC Tankers can be a touchy lot so please take care with the advertising so you don't scare anybody away. 8)
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
General Jumbo01

Where ever l have held events and displays of race or drift events at shows l always ensure that the show organisers will provide interlocking waist high fencing all around the display arena AND the pit area and, as a direct result, the public never come into physical contact with models.

It is important, however, that an ongoing commentary is provided to explain what is going on in the display area and general information about the models and the hobby in general.

I always encourage the exhibitors to stay in the area so as to wander around the fence and talk to spectators. Of course, exhibitors will want to take a look around so everyone should be allocated a scheduled wander, scheduled so that the display area is always busy.

These are just a few simple rules that ensure you achieve a good reputation and are always invited back. Those that don't play ball or fail to turn up don't get invited again!

Couple of other points. If the display area is grass then it needs to be cut (shaved!) and if you are expected to display in the rain then a covered contingency area needs to be pre-prepared. A secure and safe 240v a.c. supply needs to be placed in the pit area (preferably not a noisey generator).

Presumably some roadway and scenic models would need to be brought along by a club / who ever. Otherwise we'll be battling over plains! I guess BBs are out so we'd need to all agree on a battle system to be used IF a battle is required?

I've no local club and have never attended a RC tank meet and have only got into tanks a year ago so l have no experience of tank specific requirements. If help/experience is available (I've met only Dave and Julie) than I'm up for it - Dave, could you bring your shop??

Sent from my ASUS_T00G using Tapatalk
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

If it wasn’t 2 1/2 hours away I’d probably be up for it with SEAG.

We have all the scenery and when members all turn up around 20, but rarely do all 20 attend at once.

We attended a show last year and had a couple of cheap Heng Long tanks for punters to battle with but the toll it took on the tanks wasn’t worth it for the £1 a go!
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Adam, you need to attract more than ten punters ;)
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?

Return to “General Discussion”