5.1 gearboxes for tanks

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
tomhugill
Captain

Re: 5.1 gearboxes for tanks

Post by tomhugill »

General Jumbo01 wrote:I mean no disservice at all Tom. All I've made is a statement of fact. I'm sure that some tank battles are just as competitive as race events, but speeding around a scale village to get position to fire, then speeding for cover all at unrealistic speeds etc will satisfy battlers but not those looking for realism. If you make it realistic, then the competitive goals move. Nothing wrong with that - we all do our hobby differently.

But if you want your tank to traverse grass smoothly it's a doddle. Firstly, you build your own lower hull. You use 540 sized motors, still brushed if you wish, but quality ones you can take apart to clean, change the advance etc. I'd use a 80turn armature, as l do in my Tamiya trucks, to get masses on smooth low end torque so that you have, together with quality ESCs, the ability to crawl away from a standstill on any surface or gradient, and then fit, say, 3 speed gearboxes with high quality gears and ball races throughout.

Now, is that all possible? Yes. Do components exist on the market to do it? Mostly yes, though you'll need to buy from many different manufacturers and scratch build or modify parts. Is this practical? Here comes the catch. For a top spec single motor you'll pay more than you would for a new HL Tiger! For a good programmable electronic speed controller and software maybe more than a Taigen Tiger. Add them together and you could buy a new JS-2! But....would you want to?

If you were into racing, yes you would because if you are not stretching all the boundaries you don't win. If you were enjoying the more sociable, fun hobby of RC tanks then you'd probably prefer to spend that cash on another two complete tanks. I know l would, that's why l waited for the Taigen JS-2 rather than fork out for a Tamiya example. But when racing I'd happily pay well over 1500 quid to build a car (not a kit btw, but parts) which you knew you'd replace by the end of the season, with a set of tyres that cost 30-40 quid that wouldn't last a single race day. How crazy is that? I used to love it and since my sponsors donated virtually all my kit it was personally affordable but after 15 years of that l lost interest and moved to tanks, trucks and drones (no, l wasn't at Gatwick officer).

Now that I'm retired l'm enjoying more affordable hobbies and tanks offer a lot for your money, especially with mates around who help and supply them at great prices. I tolerate the poor quality speed controllers in tanks, l put up with the non proportional (big steps) of the functions and very poorly stepped sounds. I try to improve these deficiencies but much of what needs changing is stuck in a single MFU which is proprietary rather than open standard. One day? Yes, some of this can be swapped out but at a price. But have no fear, the Chinese will sort all this out for us, just as they did for computerised model railways, rc racing electronics and just about everything else on the planet!

Well, I'm falling asleep writing this so I've probably lost you some while ago. If I've upset anyone it was unintentional. I love what we do, at all levels, but l stand by what l said. We focus more on the model than the internals. Were that not so, the internals would be MUCH better, and much more expensive. As a hobby, l think we practice a fine but flexible compromise.

Sorry about the speeling! :eh:
On your opinion we will have to agree to disagree.
Afrikakorps
Corporal

Post by Afrikakorps »

Back to the original question, I fully agree with Umax52, the 5:1 are a very good option in a panzer 3 / 4 or stug . Definitely not in a heavy tank.
I have 5:1 in my panzer4 whirblewind an they are great
Cheers Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Panzer III G
Sherman M4A3 (105)
T-34/76 (1942)
Panzer IV Wirbelwind
Sturmtiger
KV-2
M26 Pershing
T-34/76 (1943)
KV-1
M3 Lee
Ferdinand / Elephant
M16 Half-track
Panther G
M4a1 (75mm)
M41 Walker Bulldog
JS-2
M4a3e8 (76mm)
Japanese Type94
FT-17
Tiger 1
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

What those "5:1" boxes need is motors with more poles for more low end torque.
I don't know how many poles the heng long and taigen motors have as I haven't taken any apart yet. Unless anyone knows and would like to share.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Lo_Thar
Lance Corporal

Post by Lo_Thar »

Thx for reply. Time to buy it!
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:What those "5:1" boxes need is motors with more poles for more low end torque.
I don't know how many poles the heng long and taigen motors have as I haven't taken any apart yet. Unless anyone knows and would like to share.
In my Stug I was able to squeeze in 380 motors, and I think they'll go in the P3 as well. Then there's the waterpump 360 motors, which are much faster than what comes with the 5:1 GBs.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

I'm guessing either of those motors work with standard heng long and taigen electronics Gary?

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:I'm guessing either of those motors work with standard heng long and taigen electronics Gary?
Yes
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Thank you :thumbup:

Lo_Thar
Lance Corporal

Post by Lo_Thar »

Hi guys - i bought this gearboxes https://www.rctank.de/Tigre-I-51-PRO-st ... hort-axles for my pz3 and i must say they are graete - much slower than standard taigen 3:1, and little slow than taigen 4:1 i had in my Taigen Panther.

Now i must buy new gearboxes for my Tiger II and i have question - anybody have this one in big tank like tiger or kt? I ask becose this gearboxes in my pz3 dont have so much power like oryginal taigen 3:1 - for example with 3:1 my pz3 can easily climb 45degree, in this 5:1 they cant - so i was warried this gearboxes are good in KT
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

The 5:1 boxes should have more torque at the sprocket, better for climbing, but to do so would mean a more powerful motor (in torque, not revs) to cope with the higher gearbox ratio. Sadly these boxes can't have more powerful motors as they are designed to be used with standard Taigen electronics which can't deliver the extra amps the more powerful motors will want to take.
If they struggle on a climb with a light panzer 3, they will never handle a King Tiger. The only way to use these in a KT would be to upgrade the motors, but you would probably fry the standard MFU, therefore you'd need to get an after market board to cope with the extra power draw for the motors.
Usually King Tiger boxes are only 3:1 or 4:1 to cope with the weight with standard MFU's.

Return to “General Discussion”