Fishing Shermans

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
Lert
Sergeant

Re: Fishing Shermans

Post by Lert »

Are we 100% sure that that 'restored' Sherman is one of the ones fished out of the water? If so, then the restoration was done in record time - they were fished out of the water in 2017, and Shermansky was ready to go for a 2018 victory parade?
JagdPanther / Leopard 2A6 / StuG Ausf. G / KV-2 / M4A3A4 / MTLB / 2.5 ton truck 6x6
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Lert wrote:Are we 100% sure that that 'restored' Sherman is one of the ones fished out of the water? If so, then the restoration was done in record time - they were fished out of the water in 2017, and Shermansky was ready to go for a 2018 victory parade?
Good point, they have different tracks :think:
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:
Lert wrote:Are we 100% sure that that 'restored' Sherman is one of the ones fished out of the water? If so, then the restoration was done in record time - they were fished out of the water in 2017, and Shermansky was ready to go for a 2018 victory parade?
Yes, the link below the last picture on the first post describes the timeline, actually 4 months. But I think it would have looked better without the extra stuff they added.

"Here, according to the commander of the central storage base for armored vehicles Lieutenant Colonel Dmitry Kashchaev, from April to July 2018, the work on the return to life of the old combat vehicle was boiling - from cleaning the tank from rust, mud and silt to replacing parts. First "Sherman" was supposed to be restored until May 9, but there were more works than the restorers expected"
Woz
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Woz »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:
And back on topic, what I love about these pictures, is the E8 style turret on a VVSS chassis, straight from the sea, not been restored, and still as they were constructed and shipped in apparently 1945. Quite a historical significance. Mato turret on a Heng Long with Russian markings, how cool :thumbup:

Found this about them on the web-
" Most if not all the M4A2(76) VVSS Shermans went to Soviet lend-lease, no surviving example of this Sherman variant is known yet."

http://the.shadock.free.fr/sherman_minu ... /m4a2.html

So one for the Russki armour fans

Return to “General Discussion”