Weld lines

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

Weld lines

Post by ronnie42 »

Thinking about adding weld lines, had an idea for an easy option , Buy some 1/35 stick on zimmermit, as i imagine the german welds were nice and neat compared to the Russians. Russia opted for the rough and ready route to produce 10 x as many tanks . Cut 1 or 2mm strips and glue in place. Can you see weld lines if you stand 20 feet away from the real thing.
ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

Re: Weld lines

Post by ronnie42 »

Hi Wardog Thinking about doing my Kingtiger welds , now i have the Trumpeter Panther 1/16 kit the welds are rather neat .
That why i am thinking of 1/35 zim strips doubt i could manage a subtle weld line with milliput . Here are some pics of the welds.
how do i do this?
how do i do this?
very neat welding runs
very neat welding runs
And a weld not on the Hl panther.
And a weld not on the Hl panther.
I wonder if a 3d printer could produce fine strips of weld lines , then that might tempt me to buy one ?
sevoblast
Lance Corporal

Post by sevoblast »

1.jpg
1.jpg (98.11 KiB) Viewed 1070 times
Weld lines give you a lot of bang for the buck. They can be tedious to do in the beginning but once you get the hang of it they are relatively fast and easy. Your first step is to research the tank you are working on and get a good idea of the quality, location and size of the welds.

Attached are photos of welds I've done. I do knock them down carefully with mild sand paper after the putty sets. I use the two putties imaged, and I use on the putty tubes fresh, read new, gel ACC glue tube ends. Practice first on scrap. When you begin a line, make sure you have a shallow dish filled with water and a narrow straight blade screw driver. Before the putty sets, dip the screw driver blade in the water and use it to form the ridges in the weld line. Again, I stress, practice practice practice before you start on the model.

I don't know how 'available' syringes are for most of you, but we can pop down to Abteka and get whatever we want. For large weld lines, I've been known to speak to our vet and get larger needles than are generally used on us two legs. Works, and the larger needles are easy to clean after the work. The very thin needles, syringes are dirt cheap so when it's used, cut the actual needle off, bent it up and trash the needle and syringe. I cut up the actual syringe body and the piston, too.

You can also detail out various areas of the tank with little cost. I replace all the cast on bolt and nut detail on KT, T1 and Panther rear plates amongst other places. I drill out the bolt and nut center to the proper size, then cut and sand off the cast on part and add a metal bolt and nut. It's the little things that sometimes give a vast return for little work.

While you are at the build, remember, some of your friends will see the inside of the beast. I always try to make the inside pleasant to view, both in colour and neatness. Plus, a neat interior is easier to work with after the build and easier to keep clean.

I'll write something on dust sealing and electrical hygiene after the noise abates this night. In an hour our village will be lit horizon to horizon and the noise level will make Pickett's Charge sound like nap time in the nursery.
Attachments
JT105-1.jpg
JT105-1.jpg (46.68 KiB) Viewed 1066 times
JT101a.jpg
JT55cc.jpg
JT55cc.jpg (84.46 KiB) Viewed 1070 times
JT61cc.jpg
JT61cc.jpg (83.85 KiB) Viewed 1070 times
JT99cc.jpg
JT99cc.jpg (78.14 KiB) Viewed 1070 times
JT77cc.jpg
JT77cc.jpg (94.16 KiB) Viewed 1070 times
JT74a.jpg
JT74a.jpg (76.05 KiB) Viewed 1070 times
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Save yourself the bother of syringes and putty. Vallejo plastic putty has a fine nozzle and is awesome.for.weld beads.
sevoblast
Lance Corporal

Post by sevoblast »

Wardog, in this AO, vets can and do sell to their clients, but reality is the only thing I've ever needed from him is the horse needle imaged above. My wife knows enough about dogs and their needs, we've got more than one, to have syringes and almost a full apothecary on hand. Any time I need a syringe it's a simple 'where are you hiding them now' deal. Syringes also make excellent pinpoint oilers for getting in to the nooks and crannies of the transmission.

Since in this AO many even medium size cities don't have a real hobby shop, one often has to use what is to hand or get it mail order. That being said, there is quite the gang of tankers in Moskau and we commo with them all the time, exchanging tips and tricks and sending goodies back and forth. The miniature nuts and bolts I get at our local Bolts-R-Us emporium, and the various cap screws, too.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

In the UK, I pop to my chemist for small syringes for pin point oilers, they always have to keep stock in case local druggies need clean syringes for free, yet I still have to pay for them.
Vets will sell them, they'd sell their grannies, although at a higher price than usual.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
sevoblast
Lance Corporal

Post by sevoblast »

I don't know what syringes cost but it can't be but a pittance. As for druggies, we have them but the only thing they get for free is prison time. Our vet is salt of the earth and lives only a kilometer from our house.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Our druggies get free housing, never have to work, and get free Methadone shots at the chemist. Yet my local authority said they'd make sure no veterans would live on the streets, guess what, veterans still live on the streets.

I guess liberal local authorities work in mysterious ways :think:
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
sevoblast
Lance Corporal

Post by sevoblast »

No free ride for druggies, or others of questionable medical problems, here.
ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

Post by ronnie42 »

Thanks all Will attempt some weld lines using the water based AK putties . Should be easy to clean up if i make a mess of the welds.

Return to “General Discussion”