Taigen JS2

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Re: Taigen JS2

Post by General Jumbo01 »

Idle hands.......

So l decided to loosen the track tension on my lS-2 so that it looked like a real one that had just driven out of the show room, a little track saggy!

The two 2.5mm hex bolts need to be fully removed to release the idler hub from the front hull and the hub can then be gently prised away. Whilst its in the hand, l removed the 1.5mm grub screw that retains the stub axle and lubed the shaft.

At this point the hub can be replaced and twisted to a new position. The shaft on the hub is many multi-sided so you can select your preferred level of slack and match both sides accurately. The pic below can be mirrored with several real IS-2s but it's a bit more than l want - I'd prefer my tracks to stay on!

This is how l finished up, realistic yet practical. The whole procedure took about 5 mins.

l have to say, the more l work on this model the more l appreciate Taigen's good design. I have to kick myself to remind myself it cost just 399 UK quid and was hand deliver at that! I am.now seriously considering getting another to convert the plastic top hull to a ISU of some kind - only the front changes. I'd wait for Taigen to do this for me but l really can't wait that long!! :haha:

Sent from my ASUS_T00G using Tapatalk
Last edited by General Jumbo01 on Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
RobW
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by RobW »

Just a quick warning if anyone is thinking of fitting a Juckenburg (or remade) SU 152 casemate on one of these: they're about 10mm narrower than the HL KV chassis so it doesn't quite fit. Scratch build should be fine, but not the resin option.
maxmekker

Post by maxmekker »

Nice Writeup there :thumbup:
Drammen Rock City
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Just been browsing through the images here, and trying to suppress that sort of Mr Toad of Toad Hall manic 'Must get of those!!' feeling. That dread 'Buy one!!' imperative. >:<
Thing is, Taigen products are evolving nicely, much like Tamiya did years ago. For the money, though, all the new extras (hull retaining/opening mechanism), excellent paint job, and so on, make this much more appealing than the overpriced Tamiya equivalent.
Every tank I buy (or build) is meant to be the last..and the definitive one. :/ Then, a beaut like this one pops up. :eh: :wtf: My last build (not much room, or time, for more) was actually going to be the Ludwig Comet..
but this alluring beast is making me reach for that old debit card... >:<
Probably time for some CBT sessions on the NHS...
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
RobW
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by RobW »

43rdRecceReg wrote:Probably time for some CBT sessions on the NHS...
Just spend the money on the tank! :D
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

RobW wrote:
43rdRecceReg wrote:Probably time for some CBT sessions on the NHS...
Just spend the money on the tank! :D
:D :wave:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good morning, Roy!
As mentioned, just Buy The Tank! I was lucky enough to get one of these from Dave and Julie. ( They are just now becoming available in the States from Taigen ) I am amazed at how well done it is, stock. I have just finished up a 1/35 research model and could not make it look any better than the stock Taigen. A coat of flats and some pin wash will likely be all that I add to the paint. ( tools detailed, naturally ) I should have one of my countertop test videos of this Monster up tonight.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

PainlessWolf wrote:Good morning, Roy!
As mentioned, just Buy The Tank! I was lucky enough to get one of these from Dave and Julie. ( They are just now becoming available in the States from Taigen ) I am amazed at how well done it is, stock. I have just finished up a 1/35 research model and could not make it look any better than the stock Taigen. A coat of flats and some pin wash will likely be all that I add to the paint. ( tools detailed, naturally ) I should have one of my countertop test videos of this Monster up tonight.
regards,
Painless
Thanks for the recommendation, Painless! You're now making the urge to splurge almost unstoppable :lolno: :D ... as the scales are tilting in the 'Splurge!!' direction :haha:
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good morning,
A little 'Help Along' ;o)
regards!
Painless
Attachments
Not too shabby
Not too shabby
First power up with the 5000 size battery
First power up with the 5000 size battery
...Here for the Dawn...
General Jumbo01
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

It's the one you've been waiting for! Spend, spend, spend!

Out of the box it runs sweet and looks stunning. Even the satin finish is growing on me - l bought two cans of Tamiya flat and the shrink wrap is still on them. If l were you I'd drop in on Dave and Julie while they still have them, assuming you are uk based (didn't check!)

I've already bought one of Forgebears damaged top decks so l can build a ISU 122. I'll then re-camo my T34/85 and with my KV-1 in support l'm Berlin bound!

*** a little query***
I've noticed that Tamiya's split hatch opens left and right but Taigen's opens fore and aft. A quick look at images of the real thing in ww2 action shows both to exist so did the cupola somehow turn? Any thoughts?
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection

Return to “General Discussion”