X-Mas came early this year

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
Rob59
Sergeant

Re: X-Mas came early this year

Post by Rob59 »

Indeed, to reach all torsion bars, the entire lower hull contents needs to come put.
But in my case, it just concerns the first, or maybe the first 2 road wheels, but the gears have to come out to reach those torsion bars.
BTW, is that a Russian KV1 on the scale? in the pic?
Nice looking tanks too.
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

Yes, the metal Torro version. A normal plastic KT comes in at around 2.6kg so that metal (plus my ballast) adds quite a bit of weight. Rides beautifully though - despite the hernias one suffers when picking it up!
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
Rob59
Sergeant

Post by Rob59 »

This afternoon I wanted to make some testrides with my F. Until now I just painted the commanders from both Panthers, the tow cables amd all the tools/ equipment alongside both tanks.
But....driving forward was not an issue, but backwards the left side track jammed.
Could not find anything inside the lower hull that could possibly block the left side gears.
It should have been the first real ride till the battery would be empty but probably it is not my lucky day
Rob59
Sergeant

Post by Rob59 »

I also tried different track tension without any results. Track keeps jamming.
Took also a while to fire up the tank. Changed batteries in remote control....no effect. Thought maybe main battery a bit empty? Put it into the Tiger which fired up immediately.
Rob59
Sergeant

Post by Rob59 »

No grass or sand in the backyard so nothing inside which could cause this jamming.
Only tiles in the yard.....
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

These tanks don't 'fire up' Dave, they either start or not! You need to fully charge all new batteries before use then always fully charge thereafter. Patience with your charger is a virtue!

Remove the top of the tank, place the hull on a narrow box so that the tracks are off the ground and test run them, one then the other, forward then reverse. If anything is out alignment you should be able to hear or feel where the problem is. If no problem shows, place on the floor and retest under load. Keep it slow. A laminate floor is better than a carpet for testing. Once you've found the problem, fix it!

Generally speaking, a taught track will run sweeter than a slack one as the track is less able to wander when cornering. It just won't look or sound as good. However, when searching for the cause of a problem it may be better to do the above tests on a tighter track as any misaligned teeth or track sections will catch and/or make a click.

Sent from my ASUS_T00G using Tapatalk
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
Soeren
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Soeren »

These are two nice tanks. Lots of work though.
For the track issue. Try moving the track by hand or when having the tank on a block. You might be able to see or feel when there is a problem.
Rob59
Sergeant

Post by Rob59 »

Tried that already.
Left track can be moved forward by hand but not backwards.
Tank was on a piece of wood with tracks running free.
Going to take the left track off to see of gears run forwards and backwards without the track on.
Rob59
Sergeant

Post by Rob59 »

Found what the problem was.
The rear of the Panther is screwed onto the hull on both sides above the tracks.
The pointed end of the left side screw was screwed through the hull cover above the left track.
The track grabbed into that pointed end of that screw and made the track jam.
Had to take the track off to discover this.
Fortunately no serious issue with a gearbox or so.
Rob59
Sergeant

Post by Rob59 »

Return to “General Discussion”