henglong

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: henglong

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good evening!
Pics of your tanks when you get the chance, please. We love to chat and kick the virtual road wheels around here. Heng Long tanks can be run and enjoyed as is and if a Hobbyist is of a mind to detail and create a specific piece of armor or just build a very realistic RC Hobby Grade tank, then they make great base vehicles to start with. A couple of examples, both of these were once stock HL vehicles:
Attachments
B-12 is clanking along again!
B-12 is clanking along again!
Pershing Display Closeup
Pershing Display Closeup
Powerplant
Powerplant
Turret top closeup
Turret top closeup
...Here for the Dawn...
Jay-Em
Corporal
Location: The Chilly and Flat part of the Netherlands' North.

Post by Jay-Em »

They are exellent starting-points, even for “serious” modellers.
They combine neat working features with pretty sturdy materials that are easy to work with.

Exhaust at the wrong place? Drill the right place, glue a small piece of brass pipe in it, attach smoker. Pistol-port upside down? Remove it and turn it 180degrees. Antennae in the wrong spot? Nothing stops You from ripping-out the wrong antenna, and re-locate it. Rear lights where in the real thing only reflectors sit? Pop’m out, and attach red reflective tape cut to size. The sky is the limit.

Purists and arrogant rivet-counters may scoff at the mentioning of Heng Long, (and I know of some ‘enthousiast sites’ where mentioning Heng Long will almost result in an immediate ban) but for the average hobbyist they are really affordable and mod-friendly. And all of that at a great price-point.

Tamiya’s tanks are much more precise, and their running hardware, gearboxes, swingarms and whatnot are superior in quality, but that comes at a seriously high premium price. And even Tamiya misses the boat sometimes in “authentic details”. As do Trumpeter and others that make models in the 1/16 scale range.

Let’s just say that for a good modeller/ builder, Heng Long’s missing ‘accuracy’ Is a challenge, not a problem. Ànd they got some unique tanks in their range. Not àll of their tanks are blatant copies of early 1/16 Tamiya’s :haha:

So, yeah. “You get what You pay for” but that’s not a bad thing in my book. Don’t expect ‘museum quality’ for a bottom-price. Make it ‘museum quality’ yourself. I don’t do ‘museum quality’ but I love adding stuff, fixing small details that I find neat to have, just for the fun of it. ( say, opening the rear engine-flaps on the T-90, just because I can)
dgsselkirk
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by dgsselkirk »

Always keep in mind HengLong build toys, not models...
"There are things in Russia which are not as they seem..."
Georgy Konstantinovich Zhukov
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Heng Long is a Toymaker and advertises itself as one and thank goodness for us because they are affordable which is why the majority of us are in the hobby in the first place,
Imagine how many of us would be on this forum if we had Tamiya prices to pay for our R/C Armour, I venture to suggest not many. :haha:
The other advantages of Heng Long apart from the price is the number of out of prototype faults any particular model has and for a newbie how fixable they are,(And that is where this Forum comes in thanks to the ever helpful advise of our members) Which of itself encourages beginners to work at their new skills and take on more demanding builds,
Who amongst us would start modding a Tamiya before learning the basics on a Heng Long Tank.?
I learnt how to use Photo-etch and using a Butane Torch with Liquid Solder on a £80 Heng Long Tiger 1, I would not have dared try it with £800 of Tamiya Tiger 1.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

[quote="Son of a gun-ner"]I learnt to solder in the early 80's on multi thousand £££'s computer circuit boards for oil rig fire control systems, got paid too :D and no, it was after they had those bad oil rig fires. . . . At least I think it was. . . . :think

I Learnt to Solder and Braze at school which was reinforced when I was studying Mechanical Engineering on my apprenticeship and I went on to learn Gas welding as well as Arc welding But I knew nothing about soldering Photo-Etch using Liquid solder and a Butane torch.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:

Return to “General Discussion”