Happy Dam busting anniversary

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!

Postby Son of a gun-ner » Wed May 16, 2018 3:07 pm

75 years ago today.

I salute those brave men of 617 squadron that knew it could be their last mission, especially the 52 men that never made it back.

Mick.
User avatar
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 3498
Joined: Sun May 07, 2017 8:49 pm
Location: Sutton, Surrey, UK

Postby AlwynTurner » Wed May 16, 2018 3:13 pm

Yup we usually get a Lancaster doing a flyover of the village today, but it was apparently cancelled due to bad weather. A pity really as it usually does 2 passes at about 200 feet 8O 8O

Alwyn
User avatar
AlwynTurner
Warrant Officer 1st Class
 
Posts: 1922
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:47 am
Location: Chapel-en-le-Frith, Derbyshire

Postby Son of a gun-ner » Wed May 16, 2018 3:23 pm

AlwynTurner wrote:Yup we usually get a Lancaster doing a flyover of the village today, but it was apparently cancelled due to bad weather. A pity really as it usually does 2 passes at about 200 feet 8O 8O

Alwyn

That's a shame. I used to go to the yearly navy days at Portsmouth, they have an air show over the harbour, I'll NEVER forget the time I was standing on the deck of the Ark Royal and looked down at a Lancaster flying by lower than the deck I was standing on. That's about 80 foot up as she was unladen. So incredible.

Mick.
User avatar
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 3498
Joined: Sun May 07, 2017 8:49 pm
Location: Sutton, Surrey, UK

Postby silversurfer1947 » Wed May 16, 2018 5:04 pm

Apparently it was replaced with a Typhoon from 617 Squadron.
User avatar
silversurfer1947
2nd Lieutenant
 
Posts: 2385
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:54 pm
Location: Bristol, UK

Postby Son of a gun-ner » Wed May 16, 2018 5:21 pm

silversurfer1947 wrote:Apparently it was replaced with a Typhoon from 617 Squadron.

Oh, not quite the same lol.
User avatar
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 3498
Joined: Sun May 07, 2017 8:49 pm
Location: Sutton, Surrey, UK

Postby silversurfer1947 » Wed May 16, 2018 6:34 pm

Son of a gun-ner wrote:
silversurfer1947 wrote:Apparently it was replaced with a Typhoon from 617 Squadron.

Oh, not quite the same lol.

Right squadron though :D
User avatar
silversurfer1947
2nd Lieutenant
 
Posts: 2385
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:54 pm
Location: Bristol, UK

Postby Son of a gun-ner » Wed May 16, 2018 6:44 pm

silversurfer1947 wrote:
Son of a gun-ner wrote:
silversurfer1947 wrote:Apparently it was replaced with a Typhoon from 617 Squadron.

Oh, not quite the same lol.

Right squadron though :D

LOL

For anyone looking in, I highly recommend a trip to the Portsmouth navy days, it's wonderful full day out, be prepared for a lot of walking. You get to go on some ships, and on occasion, a sub. And you get to chat and ask questions from crew members. They used to charge entry per car, so we dumped one once and eight of us got in the one car to get in lol.
You can have a boat trip around the harbour with someone knowledgeable to tell you stuff about the ships, and if you time the boat ride right, you get the best view of the air show :thumbup:
User avatar
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 3498
Joined: Sun May 07, 2017 8:49 pm
Location: Sutton, Surrey, UK


Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ad Lav and 9 guests