Tamiya price hike

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
tomhugill
Captain

Re: Tamiya price hike

Post by tomhugill »

There's a tamiya Sherman on shpock for £250 currently which would be a good donor.
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Bit of a shocker.

Perhaps they could release them all over the world at the same price. No ott pricing for uk and Europe?

Asia has some of the cheapest Tamiya pricing around and we get stung a few extra hundred on each tank.
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Ad Lav wrote:Bit of a shocker.

Perhaps they could release them all over the world at the same price. No ott pricing for uk and Europe?

Asia has some of the cheapest Tamiya pricing around and we get stung a few extra hundred on each tank.
Apparently the Abrams Asia MSRP is 1100 dollars Vs 1700 for.usa
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Well there’s a starting point for them.

We all know trey were expensive anyway, I still love mine but I won’t be buying any new ones unless they release something really special. And British.
Tiggr
Staff Sergeant

Post by Tiggr »

HERMAN BIX wrote:I bet the folks at Taigen just pissed in their pants with joy and went out & bought new Bentley's :haha: :haha:
Indeed !
Tiger 1 Early Taigen,
Tiger 1 Mid Torro,
Tiger 1 Late Taigen,
King Tiger Taigen (P)
Jagdtiger Torro
King Tiger (H)
King Tiger Torro (H)
Tiger 1 late Torro
Panther G Taigen
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

The problem with Tamiya upping their tank kit prices is that the law of diminishing returns sets in. Increasing the price may increase revenue but conversely increasing prices usually reduces sales thus reducing revenue, until eventually it just isn't worth investing in new products because they'll never get their investment back. I suspect that this is where Tamiya are right now. What this probably means is that there will be very few if any new armour kits coming from Tamiya in the future. What it also means is a golden opportunity presents itself for other kit manufacturers to step up and grab the business (we hope).

Alwyn :thumbup: :wave:
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

AlwynTurner wrote:The problem with Tamiya upping their tank kit prices is that the law of diminishing returns sets in. Increasing the price may increase revenue but conversely increasing prices usually reduces sales thus reducing revenue, until eventually it just isn't worth investing in new products because they'll never get their investment back. I suspect that this is where Tamiya are right now. What this probably means is that there will be very few if any new armour kits coming from Tamiya in the future. What it also means is a golden opportunity presents itself for other kit manufacturers to step up and grab the business (we hope).

Alwyn :thumbup: :wave:
Hey Alwyn, this is apparently across the board not just the 1/16 tanks, I'm told.the current boss is a big fan of the RC tank line and it was always a pet project of the last Mr tamiya. We shall see. As others have said however unless it's a British tank (comet or cent) or something really special ill struggle to justify even the current price for it.
Pak36
Private

Post by Pak36 »

The problem is ...it is perfectly LEGAL for Tamiya to do this.

Price fixing relates to cartels, or groups. So if Tamiya, Trumpeter etc. all got together and agreed that the price of a 1/35 tank kit would be X, and a 1/16 kit Y .... then this would be a breach of competition law.

Similarly, if Tamiya were viewed as having a market dominant position in the plastic modelkit world, then they would be in trouble hiking prices, or taking other steps to prevent free competition.

In simple terms, they can charge what they like for the kits, and silly price hikes are hard to argue against in terms of competition.

I just don't get why they are taking a move to deliberately upset the consumer and screw mopre money out of us....which in reality will not go to them....but to the middlemen who now cannot discount as they did before. Those middlemen will suffer from slower sales.....which presumably means they will order less from Tamiya...so the only revenue boost for Tamiya will be reduced discount to middlemen who now order fewer kits.

But then...when I think about it....Tamiya's business choices have never made a lot of sense to me.... like focusing on 1/48 armour when everyone else was producng 1/72 or 1/35....
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Axels has confirmed no price increase, not allowed to do it in eu and uk.
Maccrage
Corporal

Post by Maccrage »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:
hedgepig wrote:
RobW wrote: There's Heng Long with a DKLM HVSS kit. No idea about the turret.
Great idea thanks! One of the Mato turrets should work I think.
Well, they do a turret too, bit pricey for what it is.
It needs correction too. For instance, the loaders hatch sits on top of the turret, instead of inset and level with the surface.

Return to “General Discussion”