Tamiya price hike

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!

Postby tomhugill » Mon May 14, 2018 8:54 am

I've come across this, looks fairly ominous as the tamiya MSRP on the RC tanks is astronomical.

I'm not sure if it will affect the likes of the aaf museum and axels modellbau, but doesn't look great!Image

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

tomhugill
Captain

Postby Son of a gun-ner » Mon May 14, 2018 9:08 am

I REALLY hope this hurts their pocket.

Also, aren't some countries governed by some law or other (name of which eludes me at the moment).
That disallows price fixing. I'm sure it wasn't that long ago when a few perfume companies tried to stop Superdrug selling expensive perfumes at a discount price. Although Tamiya are stating that they will punish distributors that pass on their products to discount dealers.

I really do hope this damages their sales, especially as other manufacturers are upping their game.

Mick.

Edit: I was considering getting at least one of their tanks later this year (after their deadline) maybe not now.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant

Postby silversurfer1947 » Mon May 14, 2018 9:31 am

Price fixing (Resale Price Maintenance) is illegal in the UK and, I think, in the EU. Last year a company in the UK was fined £2.7 million for restricting a retailer's right to set its own on-line prices. Quite where that sits with manufacturers refusing to supply retailers if they discount I am not sure.
silversurfer1947
2nd Lieutenant

Postby tomhugill » Mon May 14, 2018 9:34 am

silversurfer1947 wrote:Price fixing (Resale Price Maintenance) is illegal in the UK and, I think, in the EU. Last year a company in the UK was fined £2.7 million for restricting a retailer's right to set its own on-line prices. Quite where that sits with manufacturers refusing to supply retailers if they discount I am not sure.
Intent to price fix? What ever it is it stinks from my point of view. Maybe tamiya have finally cottoned on people aren't buying from there web site because it's so overpriced and are trying to bring other prices inline with it?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

tomhugill
Captain

Postby Rad_Schuhart » Mon May 14, 2018 10:25 am

Jesus Christ...
Rad_Schuhart
Staff Sergeant

Postby HERMAN BIX » Mon May 14, 2018 10:30 am

I bet the folks at Taigen just pissed in their pants with joy and went out & bought new Bentley's :haha: :haha:
HERMAN BIX
Major

Postby Raminator » Mon May 14, 2018 11:01 am

Imposing minimum resale prices is illegal under Australian consumer protection law.

Even if this goes unchallenged in the civilised world (I'm sure it's perfectly legal under the non-existent American consumer law) I don't think most people's brand loyalty will extend to the exorbitant prices some of Tamiya's products (read: R/C tanks) will command. Let's see how long it takes before the MSRP drops.
Last edited by Raminator on Mon May 14, 2018 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Raminator
Staff Sergeant

Postby Son of a gun-ner » Mon May 14, 2018 11:06 am

Well, this is in the UK, I guess it would be hard to enforce it against a Japanese company.

Avoid and report anti-competitive activity - GOV.UK
https://www.gov.uk/cartels-price-fixing

The reason most economists are skeptical about price controls is that they distort the allocation of resources. ... Price ceilings, which prevent prices from exceeding a certain maximum, cause shortages. Price floors, which prohibit prices below a certain minimum, cause surpluses, at least for a time.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant

Postby Soeren » Mon May 14, 2018 11:11 am

Discounts hurt the brand? That is a ridiculous statement. People in all areas of the world are agreeing on the top quality of Tamiya kits. But people tend to be put off by the high prices.
It will not only be Taigen, but also Trumpeter, takom, Meng etc. But maybe this will lead to an overall price increase in the hobby.
Last edited by Soeren on Mon May 14, 2018 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Soeren
Staff Sergeant

Postby Son of a gun-ner » Mon May 14, 2018 11:13 am

This is what the UK government thinks about it.

Resale price maintenance: advice for retailers - GOV.UK
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -retailers
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant

Postby B_Man » Mon May 14, 2018 12:05 pm

It sounds very similar to the way Apple sets the prices of their things. I'm not sure what it's like in the rest of the world but you never see big discounts on current generation iPhones and the like in Australia and when retailers have big sales there is always some fine print in the advertising that says it excludes Apple products.
I'm not a lawyer and have no idea about the legality but ultimately the market will decide.
B_Man
Corporal

Postby Son of a gun-ner » Mon May 14, 2018 12:18 pm

Well, it stinks, and they've now alienated me. I won't be buying any more of their products.

And this notice should be posted on every modelling website and forum, whether it be RC or not. Anywhere that would have potential Tamiya customers. The world should know.

Mick.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant

Postby AlwynTurner » Mon May 14, 2018 12:23 pm

I see this as a huge incentive for everyone to go out and buy a 3d printer. Think about it, even including the cost of the printer you would still have change after building your first tank compared to the cost of a Tamiya kit, and the second tank is so cheap it's a steal! With designs being posted on the forum then there is no excuse, you don't even have to learn the cad software, but you will get great benefit if you do as you can then design your own tanks.

Just a thought :D :haha:

Alwyn :thumbup: :wave:
AlwynTurner
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Postby Rad_Schuhart » Mon May 14, 2018 12:47 pm

AlwynTurner wrote:I see this as a huge incentive for everyone to go out and buy a 3d printer. Think about it, even including the cost of the printer you would still have change after building your first tank compared to the cost of a Tamiya kit, and the second tank is so cheap it's a steal! With designs being posted on the forum then there is no excuse, you don't even have to learn the cad software, but you will get great benefit if you do as you can then design your own tanks.

Just a thought :D :haha:

Alwyn :thumbup: :wave:

This will be the future... But for now, most of the home printers print with a horrible grain look. When we will be able to print with the shapeways quality (and Im sure we will, and soon) will be the customer´s revenge.

Im not wasting not even one euro more in tamiya stuff. I had a bunch of bad experiences with the quality. A lot of more bad experiences getting spare parts and now this.

For me, they can go to ruin.
Rad_Schuhart
Staff Sergeant

Postby 971wright » Mon May 14, 2018 2:02 pm

Hi Seen the posts above, best way to deal with this is a total boycott don't buy any Tamiya products, if all the forums spread this, they would soon back down because with no sales at all they would have to sell stuff cheaper or go bust.

regards pete

971wright
2nd Lieutenant

Postby tomhugill » Mon May 14, 2018 2:17 pm

Spoke to AAF museum and this technically only applies to advertised prices so they're implementing a work around. Good news for us. But doesn't change the fact this is a giant dick move from tamiya.

tomhugill
Captain

Postby PainlessWolf » Mon May 14, 2018 3:26 pm

Good morning,
I'm very glad now that I squirreled away my Tamiya Tiger kit some time ago. As far as getting that Pz IV or Sherman, it's definitely going to be rebuilding someone elses odd job off of Ebay I'm afraid. People don't buy their tank kits enmass because of the high retail costs so they have to be sold discounted to have any appreciable sales at all...what to do? Why enforce no discounts of course! Who thinks this sort of thing up???
regards,
Painless
PainlessWolf
Major

Postby Son of a gun-ner » Mon May 14, 2018 5:07 pm

I'm already sick of their spares policy and that I can't get spares from anywhere else in Europe than the German supplier, that is hit and miss whether anything is in stock if you're lucky.

Now this has given me a bad taste.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant

Postby Maccrage » Mon May 14, 2018 5:26 pm

Wow. I love Tamiya, but this is ridiculous. The second model I ever built was the 1/35 Tamiya M1 Abrams.

But, they have fallen behind the times. Other manufacturers make better detailed kits now. This is going to hurt them.

Maccrage
Lance Corporal

Postby HammerWihoutASickle » Mon May 14, 2018 5:29 pm

Well, there goes my hopes of saving up to buy a JSDF Type 10; what a pity.

When I came to the US, I blew most of my budget on Tamiya 1/35 scale tanks. The last one I built was the M1A2 Abrams with that godly bulldozer in the front. Their kits are amazing, but now it seems I have to stick with Revell and Airfix, like before. I think I'll try Zvesda and Trumpeter now to replace these kits.
I hope they ship to India; unlike Tamiya.

Probably a good thing, because I'm basically a vagabond after graduation at this point of life.
HammerWihoutASickle
Lance Corporal

Next

Return to General Discussion