Tamiya price hike

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
tomhugill
Captain

Tamiya price hike

Post by tomhugill »

I've come across this, looks fairly ominous as the tamiya MSRP on the RC tanks is astronomical.

I'm not sure if it will affect the likes of the aaf museum and axels modellbau, but doesn't look great!Image

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Re: Tamiya price hike

Post by silversurfer1947 »

Price fixing (Resale Price Maintenance) is illegal in the UK and, I think, in the EU. Last year a company in the UK was fined £2.7 million for restricting a retailer's right to set its own on-line prices. Quite where that sits with manufacturers refusing to supply retailers if they discount I am not sure.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

silversurfer1947 wrote:Price fixing (Resale Price Maintenance) is illegal in the UK and, I think, in the EU. Last year a company in the UK was fined £2.7 million for restricting a retailer's right to set its own on-line prices. Quite where that sits with manufacturers refusing to supply retailers if they discount I am not sure.
Intent to price fix? What ever it is it stinks from my point of view. Maybe tamiya have finally cottoned on people aren't buying from there web site because it's so overpriced and are trying to bring other prices inline with it?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Jesus Christ...
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

I bet the folks at Taigen just pissed in their pants with joy and went out & bought new Bentley's :haha: :haha:
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Raminator
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Raminator »

Imposing minimum resale prices is illegal under Australian consumer protection law.

Even if this goes unchallenged in the civilised world (I'm sure it's perfectly legal under the non-existent American consumer law) I don't think most people's brand loyalty will extend to the exorbitant prices some of Tamiya's products (read: R/C tanks) will command. Let's see how long it takes before the MSRP drops.
Last edited by Raminator on Mon May 14, 2018 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Soeren
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Soeren »

Discounts hurt the brand? That is a ridiculous statement. People in all areas of the world are agreeing on the top quality of Tamiya kits. But people tend to be put off by the high prices.
It will not only be Taigen, but also Trumpeter, takom, Meng etc. But maybe this will lead to an overall price increase in the hobby.
Last edited by Soeren on Mon May 14, 2018 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B_Man
Corporal

Post by B_Man »

It sounds very similar to the way Apple sets the prices of their things. I'm not sure what it's like in the rest of the world but you never see big discounts on current generation iPhones and the like in Australia and when retailers have big sales there is always some fine print in the advertising that says it excludes Apple products.
I'm not a lawyer and have no idea about the legality but ultimately the market will decide.
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

I see this as a huge incentive for everyone to go out and buy a 3d printer. Think about it, even including the cost of the printer you would still have change after building your first tank compared to the cost of a Tamiya kit, and the second tank is so cheap it's a steal! With designs being posted on the forum then there is no excuse, you don't even have to learn the cad software, but you will get great benefit if you do as you can then design your own tanks.

Just a thought :D :haha:

Alwyn :thumbup: :wave:
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

AlwynTurner wrote:I see this as a huge incentive for everyone to go out and buy a 3d printer. Think about it, even including the cost of the printer you would still have change after building your first tank compared to the cost of a Tamiya kit, and the second tank is so cheap it's a steal! With designs being posted on the forum then there is no excuse, you don't even have to learn the cad software, but you will get great benefit if you do as you can then design your own tanks.

Just a thought :D :haha:

Alwyn :thumbup: :wave:
This will be the future... But for now, most of the home printers print with a horrible grain look. When we will be able to print with the shapeways quality (and Im sure we will, and soon) will be the customer´s revenge.

Im not wasting not even one euro more in tamiya stuff. I had a bunch of bad experiences with the quality. A lot of more bad experiences getting spare parts and now this.

For me, they can go to ruin.
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/

Return to “General Discussion”