8,000 dollars worth of Heng Long Tiger 1

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
43rdRecceReg
Major

8,000 dollars worth of Heng Long Tiger 1

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

..and for your massive outlay of the folding (or virtual) stuff, it looks like it comes with a free Johnny Chan :lolno: :wtf: Makes a change from the Green Shield stamps...
Bu-t-t-t. Have a look at the front armour plate of this impressive metallic marvel. For this amount of money..and never mind the horsepower..you ought to get accuracy. The front armour plate on this model is perfectly rectangular..
phpBB [video]

Don't be distracted by genial Johnny's unbridled enthusiasm..it's all smoke an mirrors. ;)
The front of the Tiger should actually look like this (as it does with Tamiya and Trumpeter.. :think::-
Slopes on Tiger 1's front armour plate just in front of headlights
Slopes on Tiger 1's front armour plate just in front of headlights
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: 8,000 dollars worth of Heng Long Tiger 1

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Well, this vid appears in various guises, :yawn: and I've posted one before on Johnny's manic salesmanship, and to the all metal money-spinner....but;... the point was to draw- attention to the flaw (hmm..that rhymed..). AND, what a flaw :O . eh?
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:It's a heng long, not an over priced tamiya, what you expect. . . .
:wtf: Overpriced Tamiya?? :eh: This Heng Long is as much than 8 times more expensive than a Tamiya; but still can't get an obvious detail right. As the old saying goes: "All that glitters isn't..well, worth an eye-watering $8,000"
There seems to be a strategy here of luring people in with the promise of 'metal' over plastic. Some fall for it because tanks are made of metal, and not plastic. Even then, not all 'all metal' tanks are actually all metal. (Toro 'Pro' and so on) :crazy: From what I've seen, though- and this also applies to Aeromate as well- these genuinely 100% metal tanks are not as detailed as the best ABS models. That said, at least Aeromate got the front armour plate right:
Tiger 1 from Aeromate-
Tiger 1 from Aeromate-
Tiger I - Aeromate.jpg (67.7 KiB) Viewed 3291 times
C.Ellis
Private

Post by C.Ellis »

Never mind the front armour, what about the turret stowage bin 8O !!! The sides are at 90 degrees to the turret. Also if I'm not mistaken, the pistol port shares it's flaws with it's 1:16 counterpart :wtf: at least there isn't a second Aerial storage tube.
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

43rdRecceReg wrote:
Son of a gun-ner wrote:It's a heng long, not an over priced tamiya, what you expect. . . .
:wtf: Overpriced Tamiya?? :eh: This Heng Long is as much than 8 times more expensive than a Tamiya; but still can't get an obvious detail right. As the old saying goes: "All that glitters isn't..well, worth an eye-watering $8,000"
There seems to be a strategy here of luring people in with the promise of 'metal' over plastic. Some fall for it because tanks are made of metal, and not plastic. Even then, not all 'all metal' tanks are actually all metal. (Toro 'Pro' and so on) :crazy: From what I've seen, though- and this also applies to Aeromate as well- these genuinely 100% metal tanks are not as detailed as the best ABS models. That said, at least Aeromate got the front armour plate right:
Tiger I - Aeromate.jpg
I agree with SOAG and I think Tamiya is overpriced... But about this 8.000 bucks heng long, well,no doubt is expensive, but at least is not pot metal, and also, watch the size! What is that sacel? 1/8? At the end of the video the guy steps over the tank and drives it! So it shows is a very strong piece.

But yeah, i also agree it should be more accurate...
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

I think you missed the irony, Rad, of calling a Tamiya 'overpriced'..when the 1:6 (?) HL Tiger 1 has stratospheric pricing. ;)
Be that as it may, on the plus side, it's great to see competition and innovation out there in the model tank world. Given the limited market (but growing, I'd hope), it must cost quite of bit of money to invest in projects such as these, with no guarantee of a return on the investment.
HL don't seem to possess an equivalent team of researchers to that which Tamiya dispatched, armed with tape measures, note books, and tape recorders, to garner the vital statistics of our beloved armour... 8|
It appears that they (HL) have an almost invariable dimensional formula that they stick to, from plastic through to eye-popping mega-scale CNC, despite the evidence of their (and more importantly our) eyes. :thumbdown:
Corrections are rare. This is because the formulaic approach to tooling, and moulding, is driven by economics.
I'd happily have all of Tamiya's 1:16 catalogue, if the models were half the price. As for the HL monster, with the improved sound effects, impressive pulling power and suspension, a price tag of £1,500 would seem more reasonable. :think: Just a thought...
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Here's Johnny Chan's video of the 1/6 scale Tiger, which I've heard is about $10k USD.

phpBB [video]

I'm not sure why they would do both 1/8 and 1/6, but I'm sure they have their reasons.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Lol, yeah, I forgot to switch on my sarcasm detector machine... I guess thats because I am a bit ill. Nothing serious, just because I drove my motorbike at -25 degress last week, lol.

But yeah, 8.000 bucks... Damn, I can buy a car for that price! As you point, something around 1.500 bucks would be a more apropiate tag... (I cant imagine shipping, lol) But at least is something "special" and looks strong. I saw a video of one of those tanks towing a 1\1 lamborginni...

And about the tamiyas... IMHO even if they were half price, they would be still way overpriced... But thats a hobby, and the hobbies are expensive... Unless your hobby is to look to the clouds of course.

I may start looking to the clouds, lol.
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

When they first announced these they said the 1/6 would be around 8K (USD) and the 1/8 would be around 4K. Now they want 8K for the 1/8 so I imagine the 1/6 will be more like 12K or 14K, but time will tell.

I heard of one guy in the states buying a 1/8 Tiger and he said shipping was just under $600 USD. It might be cheaper to the UK, but you'll get slammed with the VAT. Almost 2K in VAT for the 1/6 will make a big difference, eh?
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Max-U52 wrote:When they first announced these they said the 1/6 would be around 8K (USD) and the 1/8 would be around 4K. Now they want 8K for the 1/8 so I imagine the 1/6 will be more like 12K or 14K, but time will tell.

I heard of one guy in the states buying a 1/8 Tiger and he said shipping was just under $600 USD. It might be cheaper to the UK, but you'll get slammed with the VAT. Almost 2K in VAT for the 1/6 will make a big difference, eh?
I guess, if one has more money than sense, then the 1:6 version would be the one to have a nervous breakdown over (after the partner, or the cat in your case :D gets wind of the deal). As has often been pointed out, the world of 1:6 models is populated with a fair supply of tasteful extras and bespoke add ons.. just to increase the need for xanax, and off the wall excuses :shifty: . :crazy: :D
Personally, I'd like a model in 1:10 scale (should be easier to calculate scale parts needed.. :think: ), but like those floundering around in the featureless desert of 1:8 and 1:10 modelling, I'd soon be phoning around for classes in CAD and 3-D modelling. Seemingly, that would be the only means of feeding the addiction in those semi-barren worlds.. :think:
Why 1:10? Well, 1:10 is more likely to elicit gasps of incredulity from the uninitiated visitors, than 1:16. Moreover, there's more room for one's ageing fingers to manipulate bits with.. :thumbup: All the better, too, for those ageing peepers to see bits with :D

Return to “General Discussion”