The Old Sherman Itch

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
Yellowshaker
Corporal

The Old Sherman Itch

Post by Yellowshaker »

Well guys I have not been active on these forums for a few years. I have been trying to get back into things as I miss building things and showing as we go. In any case, after completing the JT and the JS2 I have them up for sale here locally and decided to move back into the Fury build that was started so long ago. I actually think I may have been the first one to start a build on that tank and will be the last to ever finish it. I have been working with Nick Aguilar's turret and have it just about ready to go after converting it to an oval hatch, and making and installing some custom parts for the mechanical aspects inside of it. So while messing with it, I pulled out one of the two old Mato Shermans I have in the closet. One will be an Israeli M1...the other I am not sure...I did buy two metal lower hulls from Mato tonight though. So, looking at the inaccuracies on the turret that mato produced ahs always bugged me. We know that they mainly did this to fit that stupid airsoft unit inside. Even so, looking at it next to Nick's really just makes me sick. It is beyong terrible. So, I figure ok..let me lower it to about correct height first and see how that does. Well..it helps not one bit when you see that giant eyesore they call a mantel, with it's sorry excuse for pivot points and ugly shape....arrghhh! Ok, so I go online knowing I saw a nice easy eight turret somewhere. SOL models! Found it. Looks real good and even has all of the little details built into it.100 bucks from rctank.de. No place in the states seems to sell this thing either. If course it has nbo baseplate which I can make easily enough to install it....so now sitting here looking at it I realize it has the oval hatch, not the round one....The tank I am modeling I have no idea though. This is the only one of two photos I can find anywhere and neither show the turret top at all.
http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/coldw ... trun-1.jpg
So with that in mind I figure screw it, for the money I may as well simply buy Nick's turret , add the missing detail, hope someone doesn't post a picture the day after I finish building it and prove the hatch I went with is actually wrong. I know some guys will tell me it is close enough but the details mean a lot right? I never seem able to find reference photos of the things I am looking for anyway. If anyone has used the SOL turret please give me your thoughs on it. It looks to be amazingly well done, but I know it is designed as a static kit, so no pivot points are in that mantlet and would also have to be fabricated.....
Ok sorry for the long post but it has been a while since I got into it here. Am I asking too damn much for someone to offer a nice t23 turret? Seriously? Schumo made one and then quickly discontinued it! Ludwig offers one that looks too similar to Mato's offering. Taigen makes one....all metal Don't want metal for a turret! AAARGGHHH!! All I want is a damn t23 turret that can be bought, assembled and installed! Damn you to hell Schumo!!! You broke my heart!
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."
Egorz
Lance Corporal

Re: The Old Sherman Itch

Post by Egorz »

phpBB [video]
Egorz
Lance Corporal

Post by Egorz »

SOL tower. unfortunately it is not schumo, but looks great. for the skilled modeller it is possible to remake on rc.
Egorz
Lance Corporal

Post by Egorz »

long ago there was a tower Sherman Elite Armor. this her copy statics
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Joe, you could use a Clark recoil and elevation unit bonded into the mantlet of Nicks turret and then use the servo to elevate/depress? Shouldn't need pivot points?
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Have you asked on the Facebook groups if anyone knows what hatch it has?
Egorz
Lance Corporal

Post by Egorz »

Good tapatalk. Turet SOL.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

?????????? ? ????? SM-G950F ????? Tapatalk
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Very nice - turret looks very detailed!
Egorz