Snow Day...

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
bikerdude
Lance Corporal

Snow Day...

Post by bikerdude »

Has anyone else had a go with their tank in the snow? Out of the 4 running only 2 could cope with the snow.

First was my Bulldog, with metal tracks, drive and idler wheels, and gearboxes, normally the best runner, but too heavy and kept sinking and getting stuck.

Next was my sons tiger 1, just metal gearboxes, normally throws a track anyway, started off ok on the snow in a straight line, but threw a track after about 30 secs, snow built up around the rear idler wheel, pushing the track off.

Other sons pershing has only had the gearboxes upgraded to metal, but it did well, light enough not to sink, kept its tracks on, and when it did come up against something it couldn't climb, you could reverse a bit turn a little and then go ahead again and it'd go over.

And last is my other Bulldog, a cheapy purchase off facebook for £30, plastic everything. Again, like the pershing, it was light enough to not sink and was the best out of the 4 going round and round the garden, despite an old 27Mhz system that does what it wants half the time. The plastic gearboxes gave a few clicky noises as the gears slipped a few times.

I did try to do some videos, but it was difficult filming one handed while trying to control the tank around 2 little boys having fun in the snow!
jackalope
Lieutenant

Re: Snow Day...

Post by jackalope »

Spray Ballistol on the tracks and running gear and snow can't stick to anything. Also makes clean up afterwards very easy! Just rinse off with water and it comes right off.

https://ballistol.com
Tiggr
Staff Sergeant

Post by Tiggr »

My mostly metal Taigen Tiger 1 had a good testing in deep snow yesterday, no problems at all - it threw a lot of snow about when it did turns. :thumbup:

Here she is....
IMG_1065.JPG
IMG_1065.JPG (98.18 KiB) Viewed 1896 times
IMG_1072.jpg
Tiger 1 Early Taigen,
Tiger 1 Mid Torro,
Tiger 1 Late Taigen,
King Tiger Taigen (P)
Jagdtiger Torro
King Tiger (H)
King Tiger Torro (H)
Tiger 1 late Torro
Panther G Taigen
Arnie_DK
Corporal

Post by Arnie_DK »

I was out having some fun today, in a 1/10 scale 1840's version of the city I live in :)

Even though the scales are quite different, it was quite fun! :D

But the snow kept causing problems and clogging the drive and idler wheels!!!

This building still looks like this today and was used by the Gestapo during WW2

43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Thanks for the pics, Arnie :thumbup: That's an amazing model Town. All the photos are interesting, but the one I like most shows the Pz IV advancing up the High Street/ Hovedgade! The scale is just about perfect. Here (Scottish Highlands) the snow is around 100mm presently, and that's a little too deep for my tanks. Even the dog came in encrusted in mini snowballs 8O. Mind you, apart from their perfect camouflage, West Highland White terriers don't have much ground clearance either. :haha:
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Oh yes, I just noticed that your Pz IV is shod with wide winter tracks, sporting ice cleats. Nice detail :) I've found that there's not much clearance between standard Pz IV tracks and the front fenders/mudguards in particular. A build up of compacted snow could easily bring the tank to a halt. For occasions such as these, then, having hinged front fenders would be a really practical solution.. :think:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

"WOZ" Sells them through "Shapeways" A very easy fit and they certainly add to the look of the Panzer 4 but I would recommend Going to a Dolls House Accessory site for the hinges and the nuts, washers and bolts from---
www.prime-miniatures.co.uk
I gave up on the rear fenders and VERY carefully cut off the ones on the Heng Long PZ4 Body and Fitted hinges to them and they are better in my unworthy opinion than the aftermarket ones.
And don't forget the PZ4 only had a rear light on the left side and one reflector on the left rear fender.
Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Beautiful little town you have there. Your Panzer looks right at home traversing the snowy streets!
Tanks alot.... :wave:
Arnie_DK
Corporal

Post by Arnie_DK »

My snow problem was the snow being compressed in the wheels, and kinda becomming a sort of Ice! So the tracks was just pushed aside. Ground clearance wasnt such a big problem rally as the snow was just shoveled in front of the tank :P

But yeah. I really enjoyed the opportunity to drive around in this town, although the scale was off.

Best part though. The town was closed off to the publiv that day, but a guy who volunteers there came and opened up just for me, wich meant I coul put some fresh track prints in that untouched snow! :D
bikerdude
Lance Corporal

Post by bikerdude »

Some great photos there, glad to see I wasn't the only 1 to go out and have a go. I'll have a look at getting some of that ballistol stuff, though we get snow so rarely, I doubt I'll need it again for a few years!
Will have to get around to having a look at my sons Tiger, it really is rubbish, the rear idler seems to be ridiculously loose which is what I think is causing the problems.

Return to “General Discussion”