Guy Martin's WW1 tank build

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
43rdRecceReg
Major

Guy Martin's WW1 tank build

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

For those on the forum able to receive Ch 4, then tonight at 8pm there's a must see documentary from pleasantly OCD engineering oddball, Guy Martin, :crazy: where he attempts to build a functional WW1 tank. This 2-hour special will also be repeated
on Monday (20th Nov), Tuesday, and Sunday. See Freeview guide for timings. :P
"....Guy Martin wants to build a full working replica of a WWI tank, which could well prove to be his most ambitious engineering challenge yet. This groundbreaking British invention was created in Lincoln, just a few miles from Guy's home, and now with help from British engineering giant JCB and the Norfolk Tank Museum, Guy attempts to build his own 30-tonne tank in just five months. He visits battlefields in France, delves into recordings from the archive of men who served in the original tanks, and the women who built them. But will Guy's tank be ready and able to join Lincoln's Remembrance Day parade?
Read more at https://www.freeview.co.uk/tv-guide#3OwwkqSjK5mjieJx.99..........
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Wooly
Private

Re: Guy Martin's WW1 tank build

Post by Wooly »

Very good programme! Now if only someone would make a 1/16 mkIV..... :D
Vanguard
Lance Corporal

Post by Vanguard »

Wow what a great program that was awesome truly awesome :)
"A sherman can give you a very nice ...edge"
Stu68
Recruit

Post by Stu68 »

Fantastic program really enjoyable. :D
Regards
Stu
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

..and the upshot is that the working replica shown here will be on display at the Norfolk Tank Museum next year. Some amazing engineering skills displayed by JCB here, not to mention the CAD input from the young German contributor, Torsten. :thumbup: Overall, it was an inspiring collective effort.Building the most accurate (and working) replica of a Mk IV (female) tank ever, and in under 5 months is really quite a Tour de force. :thumbup:
Now, if they could only drum up similar skills for Brexit... :haha:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Just a Pity that the Lincoln Constabulary with their "Health and Safety" issues ruined the original point of the whole engineering exercise,
Although choosing the site outside Cambrai to finally dedicate it was inspirational.
Two hours of my life that I will happily repeat.
Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Davarama
Lance Corporal

Post by Davarama »

As above, great programme, I would have been happy if they'd strung it out to make a full series.

Would love a 1/16 one!

Dava
Tamiya Tiger 1
Tamiya King Tiger
Tamiya/Wechoe Jagdtiger
Heng Long Stug iii
Heng Long Jagdpanther
Torro Jagdtiger
Taigen Panther G
Heng Long Challenger 2
971wright
2nd Lieutenant

Post by 971wright »

Hi Ring up JCB and ask them if you can have a copy of cad files in 1/16 scale. Its amazing how Guy Martin says something and everyone wants to help him ,did you see the Spitfire programme .

regards pete
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

971wright wrote:Hi Ring up JCB and ask them if you can have a copy of cad files in 1/16 scale. Its amazing how Guy Martin says something and everyone wants to help him ,did you see the Spitfire programme .

regards pete
Certainly did, and his plain spoken enthusiasm for engineering, at its best, can only be a good thing. :thumbup: Maybe it'll encourage young folk to reach for a spanner instead of the 'selfie' button....Where he gets his energy from, though, and verve to do stuff, is a greater mystery than Area 51.. :D
hawkeye3guns
Corporal

Post by hawkeye3guns »

I have the plans for a MK 4 in 1/16 and have also designed a viable drive system (using something very similar to Guy's tank) 2 motor gearboxes in the main hull and then a chain drive down the sponson's to the rear sprockets. I had a 3d printed drive sprocket made which is chain drive in the centre and M26 pershing drive sprocket on the outside. I going to use M26 plastic tracks but grinding/sanding off the pads smooth and then sticking on the mock drive plates to simulate the tracks. The project has stalled at the moment mainly due to me trying to work out how to cut out 4 identical sideplates for the track sponsons. The thought at the moment is to make 1 in metal and then use it as a template to cut out and drill the proper ones in 3mm plastic card and use small brass inserts as bearings for the track rollers and drive sprockets.
Once I get started I'll put a build on the forum
opp's you said get off the road

Return to “General Discussion”