Contemplating a Panzer IV build? Then...

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: Contemplating a Panzer IV build? Then...

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Max-U52 wrote:Well, Roy, you've convinced me that if I build another P4 I'll go with the Tamiya kit. That seems to be the most accurate total package right out of the box, eh?
Yes, Gary. That's my conclusion too, although from what I've been able to gather of the Trumpeter product, it's also fairly close to the real thing too in terms of accuracy. Like the Tamiya, though, it's going to leave your wallet a lot thinner.. 8O
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Raminator
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Raminator »

I've seen the Trumpeter Panzer IV pop up on eBay for about AU$250, but you'd need to add electronics and running gear to that. Still, I think my hybrid Trumpeter/Taigen T-34 was a good compromise between detail, robustness and price.

Cue Tom telling me the Tamiya can be had for 20p and some McDonald's chicken nuggets if you know where to look. ;)
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Post by silversurfer1947 »

There are Trumpeter Panzer IVs available from Germany on eBay, best price at present approx £175 including postage.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Raminator wrote:I've seen the Trumpeter Panzer IV pop up on eBay for about AU$250, but you'd need to add electronics and running gear to that. Still, I think my hybrid Trumpeter/Taigen T-34 was a good compromise between detail, robustness and price.

Cue Tom telling me the Tamiya can be had for 20p and some McDonald's chicken nuggets if you know where to look. ;)
That would prompt murderous mini goldrush fever, as with the crazed 'Dobbs' Character (Humphrey Bogart) in Huston's 'Treasure of the Sierra madre' :lolno: :haha:
Here's a neat Trumpeter Pz IV conversion to RC, from Scalemodeladdict.com:
http://www.scalemodeladdict.com/SMF/ind ... ic=12704.0
and this Addict's first Elmod-powered trial run on Youtube. Love the start up rumble! :thumbup:
phpBB [video]
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Very nice indeed

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk
Tanks alot.... :wave:
B_Man
Corporal

Post by B_Man »

The half cylinder near the drivers hatch is an armored cover for the steering brake cooling vent. I'm not really sure how it vents both brakes but no doubt there was an elaborate, over engineered solution behind it.

My first RC tank was a Heng Long PIV and when I put it next to the Tamiya the differences are pretty noticeable. My old Heng Long is now in line to be converted to a Stug IV otherwise I'll never use it. You do get what you pay for with Tamiya but I wish they would release them without the outdated electronics at a more reasonable price.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

B_Man wrote:The half cylinder near the drivers hatch is an armored cover for the steering brake cooling vent. I'm not really sure how it vents both brakes but no doubt there was an elaborate, over engineered solution behind it.

My first RC tank was a Heng Long PIV and when I put it next to the Tamiya the differences are pretty noticeable. My old Heng Long is now in line to be converted to a Stug IV otherwise I'll never use it. You do get what you pay for with Tamiya but I wish they would release them without the outdated electronics at a more reasonable price.
Thanks, B-Man! I reasoned that it was some manner of armoured vent, but finding a ready source of Panzer IV named parts is quite a challenge. :problem: At least the Tiger 1 has the Haynes manual to detail and describe individual components. :thumbup:

For anyone wanting to build a unique looking Pz IV then this 'Big Booty' version, located still at the Aberdeen Proving Ground (?), should be the ideal candidate :P
Big Booty Panzer IV with hydrostatic drive
Big Booty Panzer IV with hydrostatic drive
It is powered by a 'hydrostatic' drive train. This means, is has no gearbox or drive shafts as such. Instead, a pressurised oil feed drives two motors attached to the rear sprockets... 8O
For anyone wishing to know about Hydrostatic systems, then boggle yourselves with this :lolno: but do ignore the 40 secs of frankly weird intro:
phpBB [video]
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Hmmm..something about the pert posterior on the Hydrostatic model recalls the much vaunted fat backside on the Renault Clio... :haha:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Just found this interesting 'to do' list in the 'Things to fix' section of the forum index. It confirms the alterations I've recommended, or highlighted, and adds a few more for the future builder with a slightly obsessive streak :lolno:
viewtopic.php?f=122&t=3004
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Never considered "big booty" & Panzer before but.... eh it works. Like the J-Lo of tanks

This is quite a unique Panzer iv variant for sure. Always found it very interesting.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk
Tanks alot.... :wave:

Return to “Other Builds”