Contemplating a Panzer IV build? Then...

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: Contemplating a Panzer IV build? Then...

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Big Chris wrote:Tank build good but can I just say what a fantastic view out of your window
Thanks, Big C. Yes, I'll admit to being blessed with the view. It gets even better in the Garden where I can get an uninterrupted 360 deg view of the landscape, without any recourse to a Taigen conversion kit! I can see the Torridon Mountains, the Outer Hebrides (on a clear day), and the point where the sea loch joins the Atlantic. :)
Oddly enough, before Walter Scott began praising, and romanticising the beauty of remote areas like the Highlands, Victorians regarded such areas as 'desolate' wildernesses- as places to avoid...and not just because of the aggrieved locals (including my ancestors.. :-< ). Now people actually pay to visit or stay here.. ;)
Currently, though, I'm looking through someone else's windows...as i'm away from home visiting friends. Leaving the projects behind was a considerable wrench, but then i did take part of a Tamiya Panther project with me to mitigate withdrawal symptoms :D
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Rad_Schuhart wrote:I installed a full tamiya suspension in my asiatam PIV like one year ago too.

For what you are going to spend in parts, it would be better to buy the entire kit and to sell what you dont need like the crappy electronics.

If I could go back in time I think I would do it. Also I must say I bought the parts in the missing jason's store way way cheaper than in axels, and also that seidl modelbau shop does not ship outside germany.
Well, Rad...I've started, so I'll finish along the guidelines I intended to follow in this thread. I'll probably end up with a full Tamiya as J, sourced from here and there, as well as an Asiatam based PzIV sporting
this top:
http://www.ludwigs-hobby-seite.de/JagdpanzerIv.html when the dust has settled.
Doubtless, it might have been cheaper to buy the Full Tamiya kit in the long run; but then the immediate financial shock would have been all the more disconcerting.. :O
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

I've been away for awhile visiting friends and family, but now the plastic attraction is dragging me back...
As my Tamiya Pz IV comparison is morphing into a build, the bits I need now are becoming more expensive. I'll also have to decide on whether to buy Tamiya geartrains and MFUs, or to try a budget approach. Thanks once more to modest Forum members for support.Meantime, I've just got the tyres I need for the Tamiya road wheels. They're from Taigen (supplied by rctank.de), and I'm delighted as well as relieved to say they fit the Tamiya wheels perfectly :P
Taigen tyre on Tamiya Pz IV road wheel..
Taigen tyre on Tamiya Pz IV road wheel..
First things first, though. I'll have to remove sprue marks and rough edges from the wheels, then prime and paint them before fitting the tyres.
Shaun (The Jarndice) raised an interesting point about the accuracy (the authentic look) of Pz IV idler mountings on models.
They all should look pretty much like this:
Panzer IV idler mounting/housing.
Panzer IV idler mounting/housing.
This is an odd looking example with a bizarre, almost phallic appendage in the middle (some sort of exhaust tailpipe?), but the design of the suspension mounting is clear to see.
Here's Taigen's (plastic) take on it:
Taigen Pz IV rear idler housing.
Taigen Pz IV rear idler housing.
Sorry about the grainy image. Click to enlarge any of these pics, by the way.
Now the Asiatam (metal) version:
Asiatam Pz IV idler housing and adjuster
Asiatam Pz IV idler housing and adjuster
Finally, the Tamiya interpretation:
I did a double take when comparing the three. Why? Well, of the three the plastic Taigen version looks the most accurate, and the vaunted Tamiya...shockingly..the least. Having scoured the parts list and the build manual for caps or locking caps for the idler adjuster (the inboard domed lock nuts seen on the real PZ IV)..I couldn't find any. Surely Tamiya can't leave it (the finished housing) like that, can they...I mused ? Anyone with a Tamiya Pz IV on the forum who can confirm this? If I'm missing the cap nuts in some list DO tell. But there's nothing in the build instruction showing them.. :eh:
Och well..more research needed. :| Thanks once more to Mike (Sassgrunt) in Hawaii for the precious parts he supplied earlier, and now to Dan (Raminator) in Oz, for some hard to locate screws. :clap: You're both great guys!
Attachments
Tamiya Pz IV idler mounting and adjuster
Tamiya Pz IV idler mounting and adjuster
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arnie_DK
Corporal

Post by Arnie_DK »

Speaking of the idler adjusters. Found this in Munster on a Jagdpanzer.
Seems like the outermost nut is just a protective cap of sorts.

43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Great closeup, Arnie! One day I really must visit that Munster museum. I have an old friend living not for from there, in Hamburg, as well. By coincidence, he visited there recently with his grandson, and What'sApped me some shots of the Museum's King Tiger.
Yes, the cap looks like the sort of grease cap that is often fitted to wheel bearings. :think:
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Indeed not dissimilar to a threaded rivet cap :haha: :haha:
Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
sassgrunt
Sergeant

Post by sassgrunt »

PM sent Roy. I have a possible answer to that elusive idler cap.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Winter's approaching inexorably here in the Highlands, and that makes model painting a challenge outdoors, or in my shed. Still, I managed to get some primer and topcoat on the Tamiya Panzer IV. The chassis- being metal- was sprayed initially with Tamiya Metal primer. Incidentally, I saw a can of that on Ebay.co.uk recently advertised at over £100.. :O . Somehow the browser noted my 'interest', and so the next day Ebay automated systems emailed me to announce that the price had been reduced to '£67." :haha: Hmm..and we want to trust automated systems with driving our cars? :lolno:
I began with a fetching Tamiya (pink) plastic and metal surface primer. It's to emphasise fine detail, but I find it bonds paint layers together very well.
Pink Panzer
Pink Panzer
It should be noted that this primer is also available in white and grey, but at the time, the only type available was pink.
Then, I followed this up with a layer of grey (Humbrol) primer. These cans as easy to use, spray well, and offer 150ml cans, as compared with the niggardly 100ml contents of Tamiya TS rattle cans.
Tamiya Pz IV grey primer layer
Tamiya Pz IV grey primer layer
and another:
Tamiya Pz IV chassis in grey primer
Tamiya Pz IV chassis in grey primer
Tamiya rattle cans also spray well, but seem to empty after a couple of passes; like licking a souffle. Anyway, here's the chassis after a coat of Tamiya TS-3 Dunkelgelb (Dark Yellow)
Tamiya Pz IV chassis in topcoat Dunkelgelb
Tamiya Pz IV chassis in topcoat Dunkelgelb
If you're puzzled by the wheels in the foreground, they're for my Tamiya Panther G, and require the same colour. I minimised paint wastage by grouping all the bits closely together. While the entire centre of my modelling universe is the PZ IV at present, I've had the panther G kit since February, demanding attention, and decided to prepare some of its key components. Given that Richard (Silversurfer) posted a Tamiya Panther G build recently, I decided to avoid overkill.
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Right, well now that the Pz IV chassis has some basic paint coverage, it's time to fit the rubber tyres (from Taigen) to the running wheels. This is fairly straightforward, unless your fingers are old or a tad arthritic.
Tamiya Pz IV tyres fitted.
Tamiya Pz IV tyres fitted.
Lately, I've also acquired, and fitted, the rear idlers from Axel's online store ( https://www.axels-modellbau-shop.de/kat ... -1-16.html ) These are surprisingly inexpensive when compared with the plastic parts I've had to trawl for. :think:
With drive sprockets (and motors/gears to hold them in place), and tracks, the chassis would now be complete.
Meantime, I've used the 'B', 'A', and 'F' sprues I bought from Axel to complete the upper hull. All the hull needs now is gentle abrading to remove the glue's sheen, together some authentic looking coats of paint with camouflage and decals.
Which turret to use is then for me unresolved.. I'm still leaning towards non-tamiya electronics, and if that's the case, I may even build the first Tamiya with airsoft. I have an airsoft turret from Heng Long I could use; but modifying the mountings
could be an interesting challenge.
Here's the upper hull with all accessories attached:
Tamiya Pz IV upper hull -right
Tamiya Pz IV upper hull -right
Tamiya Pz IV upper hull- left side
Tamiya Pz IV upper hull- left side
Just noticed that the shackle retaining bracket has gone wonky, and have corrected that since this pic was snapped. :shh:
That's all for now, folks. Night, night.!
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Absolutely spectacular work. I can see it coming together. Those rear idlers are really nice pieces. Looking forward to seeing what comes of the turret
Tanks alot.... :wave:

Return to “Other Builds”