Porsche vs Henschel King Tiger

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!

Postby seekaliao » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:06 pm

I am wondering which one looks nicer. I am getting a Heng Long kingtiger but can't decide between the 2. Going to change the gun to 105mm L/68 though. So wonder which one will look better.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!!!

seekaliao
Recruit

Postby Son of a gun-ner » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:19 pm

That's purely down to personal taste, what one do YOU think looks better, when you've answered that, you've solved your riddle lol.

Mick.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant

Postby JohnWhyte » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:37 pm

I would suggest the henschel turret as it is the later model of King tiger but it is up to you what turret you want to use

JohnWhyte
Corporal

Postby dgsselkirk » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:11 pm

Porsche, more sporty and will go with the 105 better... 8)
dgsselkirk
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Postby wibblywobbly » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:54 pm

I have the Porsche, I much prefer it.
wibblywobbly
Major

Postby Tiggr » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:10 pm

I prefer the Henshel turret.

Interesting that Porsche failed the Tiger 1 selection process, his KT turret had a shell trap design and winding the clock forward a few decades his ancestors designed a car with the engine behind the rear axle - hardly logical engineering. :haha:
Tiggr
Staff Sergeant

Postby Rad_Schuhart » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:56 pm

My vote goes to henschel. I strongly dislike the porsche one.
Rad_Schuhart
Staff Sergeant

Postby jarndice » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:00 pm

Tiggr wrote:I prefer the Henshel turret.

Interesting that Porsche failed the Tiger 1 selection process, his KT turret had a shell trap design and winding the clock forward a few decades his ancestors designed a car with the engine behind the rear axle - hardly logical engineering. :haha:

And yet still the most practical Supercar you can buy.
Shaun.

jarndice
Captain

Postby Tiggr » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:07 pm

jarndice wrote:

Shaun.

If you can keep the tail end on the road.........
Obviously later models with 4 wheel drive and controlled traction and added weight over the front wheels have overcome this serious design flaw.
Tiggr
Staff Sergeant

Postby Son of a gun-ner » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:20 pm

Tiggr wrote:
jarndice wrote:

Shaun.

Obviously later models with 4 wheel drive and controlled traction and added weight over the front wheels have overcome this serious design flaw.

How was it a design flaw? Before the latest electronic gizmos and 4wd, porche were trouncing the opposition, especially unpredictable mid engine cars on the track in production races, that's why so many were sold for racing, and why they ended up with so many different race classes, when I used to follow British touring car and production racing around the country, the 'design flawed' porche cornered astoundingly well (obviously wasn't in touring car races, support races and their own races on other weekends). One only has to look back at the stats of their old two wheel drive cars to see it. And now with 4wd, they're even better.

Mick.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant

Postby jackalope » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:36 pm

You ever try taking a hard corner in an early Porsche 911? They understeer like a garbage truck on ice going down hill! LOL!

Besides look at the Porsche turret, they were left overs from the failed Tiger I prototype. Just like look at the Elephant/Ferdinand lower hull, left over failed Tiger I prototypes. But Germany couldn't waste any materials let alone tank parts! They just cobbled together parts to make due with what they had. The Porsche design was just too far ahead of its time, using the engine to power electric motors rather then any mechanical driveline. Very cool, but in war time you need simple, easy to maintain, rugged not very cool.
jackalope
Lieutenant

Postby HERMAN BIX » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:43 pm

I prefer the Henschel turret.
No shot trap and a bit more 'meaty' if you are going to over stuff a massive gun into it !!
Really is a subjective idea though, it's what it looks to you that matters
HERMAN BIX
Major

Postby PainlessWolf » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:40 pm

Good afternoon,
I will answer in the form of a photograph. ;o)
regards,
Painless
Attachments
A runner more than a looker, the years have only added to this giant tank's physical impact when viewed up close.JPG
...and this is before the upcoming lower hull replacement and paint job...
PainlessWolf
Major

Postby Son of a gun-ner » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:06 am

jackalope wrote:You ever try taking a hard corner in an early Porsche 911? They understeer like a garbage truck on ice going down hill! LOL!

That's where you were going wrong, try taking a corner hard when it's not icy ;) lol.
I've driven the old 911 with a taga top and gold carrera down the side (so you know which one I mean) felt safer that a lotus esprite, I was used to riding bikes 1000cc and above, was hard to drive a car slow of any type back then lol. Neither car was mine, they belonged to friends, I had a Mexico then, lowered with spacers between the wheels and hubs and Pirelli P6's, funny enough, I did feel safer on bends in the Mexico lol.
I was purely going on what I've witnessed at the race circuits.
As for tiger 2 turrets, porche looks prettier, but in the real world was crap, that's why it was changed lol.

Mick.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant

Postby Son of a gun-ner » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:09 am

Oh, and the Mexico was my first four wheel car, I swapped a bike for it. But it wasn't my first car, it was my first four wheeled car. . . . .
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant

Postby Raminator » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:02 am

The Porsche KT turret is just as much of an abomination as the Porsche Tiger. Ferdinand should have stuck with engineering and left design to his son.
Raminator
Staff Sergeant

Postby Tiggr » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:48 pm

Son of a gun-ner wrote:
Tiggr wrote:
jarndice wrote:

Shaun.

How was it a design flaw? Before the latest electronic gizmos and 4wd, porche were trouncing the opposition, especially unpredictable mid engine cars on the track in production races, that's why so many were sold for racing, and why they ended up with so many different race classes, when I used to follow British touring car and production racing around the country, the 'design flawed' porche cornered astoundingly well (obviously wasn't in touring car races, support races and their own races on other weekends). One only has to look back at the stats of their old two wheel drive cars to see it. And now with 4wd, they're even better.

Mick.

Yes Mick - they all had big lead weights over the front wheels to compensate for the huge pendulum effect the rear mounted engine had.
Like I said - flawed engineering.
Tiggr
Staff Sergeant

Postby jackalope » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:12 pm

Tig, I said the exact same thing! LOL! Understeers like a garbage truck on ice heading down a hill! LOL!
jackalope
Lieutenant

Postby Son of a gun-ner » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:32 pm

I'll get me coat. . . .
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant

Postby Afrikakorps » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:24 pm

Well, it really is love'm or hate'm isn't it. :thumbup: or :thumbdown:

:haha: :haha: :haha:
Afrikakorps
Lance Corporal

Next