I'm building this Tiger

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
SteelBird
Corporal

I'm building this Tiger

Post by SteelBird »

Just received the lower and upper hulls of the H/L Tiger 1. I ordered it about a year ago but only found a way to bring it home recenlty. The hull doesn't come trouble free; the lower hull bend inward that I need a piece wood to support it. The upper hull is old version with center screw. I haven't decided how to secure the two hulls together yet.

I will build this Tiger from the Pantiger's parts, so the Pantiger from now on will act as a broken tank. From the 2nd photo you can see the Tiger is ready to run but the upper hull just put on the chassis, no screw has been secured yet.

Last edited by SteelBird on Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
H/L Pantiger, H/L Leopard 2A6, Mato Panzer III, Hybrid Tiger 1 and some tank wreckage
c.rainford73
Major

Re: I'm building this Tiger

Post by c.rainford73 »

Hi SteelBird should be a fun project for you. I have used very slim magnets to secure my Tiger I hulls down. They are surprisingly secure. You can buy the magnets online in packs and different shapes. This way my older style hulls are very easy to open
Tanks alot.... :wave:
SteelBird
Corporal

Post by SteelBird »

Great tip, Carl. I'll try to find that slim magnet pieces. I did think about getting a Mato's metal lower hull to fit that upper. The empty metal lower hull costs around $80. However, the upper hull comes without decors. So there's still a lot to buy and I plan to paint it desert yellow. I don't like this German grey. It looks too Heng Long!
H/L Pantiger, H/L Leopard 2A6, Mato Panzer III, Hybrid Tiger 1 and some tank wreckage
Jake79
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Jake79 »

Hey Carl

Do you think I could see a picture of the magnets in the tank please.

Thanks

Jake
Tamiya: 2 King Tigers
H/L,Taigen :Initial Tiger 1, Panzer III, Kv 2, Panther G, Bulldog, Leo 2A6
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Hi, Go to -----
http://www.first4magnets.com
I secure most of my Tanks including a Tiger 1 using "NeoDymium countersunk magnets" It was one of my wiser decisions.
Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Tiggr
Staff Sergeant

Post by Tiggr »

jarndice wrote:Hi, Go to -----
http://www.first4magnets.com
I secure most of my Tanks including a Tiger 1 using "NeoDymium countersunk magnets" It was one of my wiser decisions.
Shaun.

This magnet type is amazingly strong :thumbup:
I intend to use them on my HL Königstiger - saves undoing lots of screws all the time.
Tiger 1 Early Taigen,
Tiger 1 Mid Torro,
Tiger 1 Late Taigen,
King Tiger Taigen (P)
Jagdtiger Torro
King Tiger (H)
King Tiger Torro (H)
Tiger 1 late Torro
Panther G Taigen
SteelBird
Corporal

Post by SteelBird »

This is how my Tiger 1 currently looks like. I've used two bottle of Tamiya 100ml light sand colors. Tomorrow I'll go to bookstore to try finding the magnet pads. Hope I'll have some luck!
Jake79
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Jake79 »

Hi Steelbird

How comes you went for the light sand, that's more of a deserttan Canadian leo colour, did you not want to go for the german dark yellow (dunglegelb) that the Tigers were painted in. Using the light sand will allow for heavier weathering tho.
Tamiya: 2 King Tigers
H/L,Taigen :Initial Tiger 1, Panzer III, Kv 2, Panther G, Bulldog, Leo 2A6
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

When I first got into this hobby I too thought it was a sand color and painted my 1st Tiger the same way. Upon joining here I quickly realized my error however and it got resprayed Tamiya Dunklegleb.

Steelbird, if you want a GOOD lower hull I'd recommend looking at the Taigen lower! It has real torsion bar suspension is metal with a plastic cover to keep detail correct and comes with upper hull locking system that works perfectly on the H/L upper. I have 2 of these lower hulls with countless hours running off road, through the woods, sand, rocks, water, and mud and they all perform perfect still.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

c.rainford73 wrote:Hi SteelBird should be a fun project for you. I have used very slim magnets to secure my Tiger I hulls down. They are surprisingly secure. You can buy the magnets online in packs and different shapes. This way my older style hulls are very easy to open
Like Jake, Carl, I'd be interested to see pics of where, and how, you positioned your magnets :) I use the Taigen locking system kit on my tanks (available from rctank.de, and elsewhere, at a reasonable price.) However, I used 8x2mm magnets to secure the Feifel air duct hoses with some success. I got that idea back in 2015 from Licmas Tank (though other threads here made reference to it); but never employed it
as a hull retention device. I'm still contemplating a method with hinges and magnets..but that's in La La Land for the moment.
Here's the Feifel link: https://heng-long-panzer.de/de/ZUBEHOeR ... wanne.html
There's also a Youtube clip of the magnets in place. It could be a useful adjunct to an early Tiger 1 build, as it's a pain having to undo the Feifel bits to get the upper hull off.
Shaun, thanks for that attractive site. I missed that one back then... :wave:
Attachments
Tiger Feifel air duct-magnets.jpg
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.

Return to “Heng Long Builds”