Section for downloading CAD designs.

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Section for downloading CAD designs.

Post by AlwynTurner »

I've just finished designing a small hinge (8mmx6mm) in OPENSCAD and thought it might be an idea to have a 3D printing forum with a section where members can upload designs they want to share. I will gladly donate the hinge design as a starter.

What does everyone think - maybe we could also have a 3D Printing Hints and Tips as well??

Alwyn
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
jarndice
Colonel

Re: Section for downloading CAD designs.

Post by jarndice »

Brilliant suggestion Alwyn, It definitely gets my vote. :thumbup:
Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Sure gets mine.
This technology is a marker for the next phase of the hobby. Soon, anyone will be able to both own & operate a unit with much of the bugs and real hard work having been done by folks like Wobbly, Mr Turner et -al.

I dont know anything about the ins & outs for using these machines, but the capabilities are just astounding.

Regardless of whether or not you have one, looking in on the posts and seeing the development would be great all round and certainly be a great step towards familiarising all involved in the hobby to the now voodoo art of 3D print.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

It's amazing to me how you can print 3D stuff and it can be complex MOVABLE parts too?! Has to be one of the coolest things to come along in a long long time.
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Alwyn I'm so impressed with your build and can't believe the level of detail you have achieved. I think it's a great idea and I have been shopping for and plan on adding a 3d printer to my workshop since I came across your Nashorn build!
Tanks alot.... :wave:
971wright
2nd Lieutenant

Post by 971wright »

Hi A good idea ,but there maybe a problem the size of files might not let you down load to forum. We may have to have a file picture of what you have, a brief description picture of item, they will have to contact you, then have to send it direct to the person who wants it.

regards pete
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Hi Pete, that is a good point but just to clarify, a typical Openscad file is 2K to 3K, the largest one I've got for the complete Nashorn barrel is 5K so we aren't talking gigabytes here. If it is a problem then your approach sounds fine although it could take a while to get a file, for example, if I'm in Spain for 3 months... :D

Alwyn :thumbup:

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
Tankbear
Lieutenant

Post by Tankbear »

Sounds like a good idea :thumbup:

I use FreeCAD, the files are bigger than a few kb still less than 1mb though.
www.mad-tanks.weebly.com
www.rctankelectronics.com
www.rc-truck.weebly.com
www.rc-boat.weebly.com
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Post by silversurfer1947 »

There is a download section in the header of every page. It mainly contains manuals at present, but could the Opencad files be posted there, with a link in the thread?
Last edited by silversurfer1947 on Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Well done Richard. :thumbup: :clap: :clap: It works but I had to open the file in notepad and save it as .txt. It would be good if the downloads section accepted .scad files then problem solved!!

Anyone wanting to take a look at a scad definition cab now look in the downloads section.

Alwyn

Return to “General Discussion”