1st Tank

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
Zapper
Private

1st Tank

Post by Zapper »

Well, after some reading and research I have taken the plunge and settled on getting a Torro T-34 as my first RC Tank. I've wanted a tank for a while and settled on the Torro T-34 as it seemed to be the best trade off between price, accuracy, robustness and ability. The Tamiyas ones are too expensive and it would look like a 4 year old had painted it.

Anyway after driving all over the garden, chasing the unimpressed cat and annoying the neighbours it was apparent that the stock battery was not going to cut it. I chickened out of the LIPO route and settled on some larger capacity Ni-Mhs and followed the advice on here and elsewhere to rearrange the internals, ie move the speaker and receiver to one side and have the battery on the other on its side. Having done this my 360 mechanism still catches on the battery when I rotate the turret still, has anyone else experienced this? The battery is a standard sized racing pack type (ie 129*47*24mm) and its just catching the bottom of the 360 connector. Any suggestions anyone?

Some pics in the meantime:

ImageT34 1 by Big Zapper, on Flickr

ImageT34 2 by Big Zapper, on Flickr

While I'm at it, the T34 has a charging point and main switches on the base of the hull, would it be advisable to tape them up in damp conditions?
jackalope
Lieutenant

Re: 1st Tank

Post by jackalope »

Pics of the 360 slip ring would be helpful as there are several different types, some much longer and would more likely to hit things on the tank floor.

Either way that's a fine looking T34 you got there sir. Very nice for your first tank. :thumbup:
Zapper
Private

Post by Zapper »

Thanks for the reply, this is what it looks like:

ImageP1030154 by Big Zapper, on Flickr

I can't get a pic through the front hatch of the two components hitting but its the black connector piece which seems to be just a few mm too long. The battery is right up against the side of the tank and there isn't room to lay it flat (the suspension springs take up a fair old amount of room). Other people have posted that they have had success but I can't see how at the moment, plus I don't want to start hacking away at things still being a novice and all.
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

Is it the wire harness that's hitting or the little slip ring itself? If it's the wire harness only you may be able to secure it a little better to the upper hull. That looks to be a bigger slip ring then comes from IMEX, perhaps someone else can chime in if thats the case. If so you may be able to swap out the 360 unit to gain some extra room.
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

53 views and no one else has anything? :problem: :think:
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

It looks to me not to be central enough but as to a fix I've got noting.
My T34 is the best runner I have, and I'm sure yours will be the same
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Zapper
Private

Post by Zapper »

A quick update. After taking the turret ring apart, tightening and refitting, refining the interior wiring and eliminating as much height as possible from the battery (it no longer has a restraining strap etc) the turret spins more freely but still occasionally jams and slows down.

Its not perfect but unless I can find really slim batteries it will have to do.
jtracks
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by jtracks »

Hello Zapper and welcome. The taigen T-34 is a nice tank. This is what I did for the same problem you had.

ImageImageImage

I was reluctant to go to lipo's also but finally did. You just have to be a little careful with them. I always run a lipo alarm as well.
Joe

Return to “General Discussion”