Tank Of The Month Competition

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!

Should This Forum Have a Tank of The Month Competition?

Poll ended at Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:15 pm

Yes
58%
No
28%
On The Fence
14%

Total votes: 36

wibblywobbly
Major

Tank Of The Month Competition

Post by wibblywobbly »

It would be interesting to know whether Forum members would like to see a Tank Of The Month Competition on RCTW.

This poll will run for 10 days, and if there is a vote in favour we will set one up. Get voting, the future is yours! :D
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
tomhugill
Captain

Re: Tank Of The Month Competition

Post by tomhugill »

Great idea!
ausf
Lance Corporal

Post by ausf »

Anything that gets more photos and discussion posted is good in my opinion.

I enjoying seeing other tanker's work, even if it's old builds.
What, me worry?
RobW
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by RobW »

No - I see the board as a place to learn & discuss. I'd rather not judge people's efforts.

On the other hand a "showcase of the month" for a thread with no comments but lots of pictures of a set tank could be very useful. Eg Sherman, KV-1 etc. Wouldn't necessarily need to be model pictures either. Just image(s) and note of location (if real) and model number M4A?, KV-1b etc.
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

RobW wrote:No - I see the board as a place to learn & discuss. I'd rather not judge people's efforts.

On the other hand a "showcase of the month" for a thread with no comments but lots of pictures of a set tank could be very useful. Eg Sherman, KV-1 etc. Wouldn't necessarily need to be model pictures either. Just image(s) and note of location (if real) and model number M4A?, KV-1b etc.
I see it as more of a what's your favourite than judging and critiquing others work, the similar format has worked well on rctankregiment for years
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

lposter wrote:Whats the difference between this and the Models Masterclass section which also had voting?

P
There are multiple entrants (entered by the builder rather than being nominated) and votes are split between them rather than a single build being nominated then voted on for inclusion in the masterclass section.
Jake79
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Jake79 »

Love the idea, works well on RCTR as Tom's says.
Tamiya: 2 King Tigers
H/L,Taigen :Initial Tiger 1, Panzer III, Kv 2, Panther G, Bulldog, Leo 2A6
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

lposter wrote:One or the other could be a good idea...having two simulatenously is a recipe for annoyance/confusion (although Models Masterclass has withered on the vine somewhat).

Its a pity the rules of Tank of The Month couldnt be fleshed out somewhat prior to voting.

p
If this gets the approval of the forum members then the next step would be to find someone to administer it, publish the rules etc. The basic ones are likely to be:

1. Post up one pic of your tank.

No additional text etc, just the pic.

2. When we have reached the closing date set by the administrator entries are closed and a poll set up.
3. When the closing date for the poll is reached the poll is closed and the winner is announced.
4. We could also have a seperate thread that is a gallery of TOTM winners, a Hall of Fame if you like.
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

lposter wrote:Is it just rc tanks? Which scales are eligible?

Will it be judged on looks or technical skill (ie. could it be a painted static model vs. a non painted but cleverly modded trc tank)?

Is judgement to be based on the one or two pictures allowed (in which case its a photography contest) or can they be voted upon based on other information such as from a build thread?

The rules werent entirely clear to me even from the other website.

One slight improvement from teh other website could be to put a link to a build or something. "Toms Glorius Panther" isnt very informative to someone dropping by or who doesnt know Tom for example.

P
The member casting the vote decides what appeals to them, different people appreciate different things, eg accuracy, detail, modelling skill, paint, photography, realism etc etc. No one except the voter can possibly know why they selected one particular model.
We can only have rules for entrants, it isn't possible to have rules that determine the basis on which someone casts their vote, well not until tin foil hat mind control technology is implemented on the forum anyway. :D

The rules for entrants will be decided by whoever administers the competition.
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

lposter wrote:Fair enough.

Its a pity it cannot just be RC tanks though. That being the theme of the website and all.
P
I don't think anyone's said it can be that, the rctankregiment one used to be just tanks but opened out to afvs and wheeled military vehicles, which I think is fair. Personally I wouldn't put any limits on scale but would insist models are RC and not static.

Return to “General Discussion”