Accessories, Anyone?

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Accessories, Anyone?

Post by Max-U52 »

The other day I noticed a very interesting truck in the background in one of Eddyk's posts and when I asked about it he said it's a 1/18th scale truck from the Indiana Jones set. I had never heard of those before, but I looked around and scored a couple used ones on the cheap and it got me to thinking, what else am I missing? And how important are the accessories to my fellow tankers? If you see something cool for a very good price are you interested in scooping it up, even if it's not really a tank? Is there anyone that has just tanks only, and no static stuff at all?

I'd especially like to see photos or videos showing your favorite accessories, or any that have a cool story about how you found them, and also how you use them along with the tanks. Most guys have seen video of my village so you know how I'm using the stuff, what about you guys? Got cool photos of tanks with your favorite accessories? Maybe a cool display for the tanks when not in use? I have a couple shelves for tanks that look so much better with a figure or two or a couple barrels next to the tanks. And what about unusual stuff? I have this one little house in my village that's actually a bird-feeder. I always get a kick out of stories like that, so who has cool stuff that was designed for a totally different purpose but is now part of the tank hobby?

I picked up a few new accessories recently (mainly for the farm) and I'm wondering what you guys will think I should do with them. One is a cool tracked crawler that seems like I shouldn't weather it and dirty it up, but on the other hand it was only $25 so why not do whatever I want with it? One of the big attractions to items like this one is that it's actually 1/16 scale.

And new ideas as to where to find cool accessories and how to use them are always welcome. As usual, there's a video. :/ @) :haha:

When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: Accessories, Anyone?

Post by PainlessWolf »

Max,
I hear you on the accessories ( as you can tell from the Pak-40 thread ) ;o) One of the next things I am picking up is a 1/16 40's vintage bulldozer. I got the bug from seeing one of Greengiant's photo sets. I plan to paint that track olive drab and apply some correct markings. Never too old for neat toys!
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
sassgrunt
Sergeant

Post by sassgrunt »

Painless, as far as diecast 1/16 crawlers go, there are a couple of options I know of that you might want to watch for. A company called Norscot makes a Caterpillar Twenty-Two that is about the size of Max's John Deer in his video. They only produced it in yellow, and it does not have a blade on the front. (But it would be an easy repaint, and would be appropriate without the blade as an artillery tug).

There is also a company called Spec Cast (sometimes listed as SpecCast) who makes a 1/16 International Harvester TD-14 crawler. This one does have a front blade, and you normally find them in red or yellow. But here's the neat part - they also made them in olive drab with US Army markings. Harder to find, but they do come up on occasion. They're a lot bigger than the Caterpillar Twenty-Two, though - it was a much larger crawler.

I think that somebody also made a Caterpillar Sixty in 1/16 scale, but am not finding it right now. Any of these three crawlers would be period correct for WW2. -Mike
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Id like to have more accesories, but I have a lack of space and tight budget right now.

Id like to have a Willys, maybe one of those Indiana Jones trucks, and to make a watchtower like the one I saw in one of your videos, and probarbly a small bunker with a RC turret someday...
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Sass!,
I used your info and now have one of the IH-14's on Amazon. It's in red but will be a cool repaint. Thank you, my friend. ;o)
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

What even Hollywood sometimes forgets...Odd ...because I'm sure they have them for the film crew
But it's something that should be considered for any little town scene
Especially back then ;)

ALPHA
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

These guys didn't forget the LOO

:haha: :haha:

ALPHA
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Alpha, if you watch closely you'll see that my farmhouse does have an outhouse. I used the 1/16 (Maybe 1/15?) kit and it came out great.

Hey, Mike, your response is exactly what I was hoping for. Sounds like you know your crawlers. There's a Case IH T-340 up for $25, is that too new for us? I'll now be watching for the ones you mentioned, too.

Painless, good score on the crawler. You have an excellent area for this and I think you'll soon have a battle field to rival the best. Does the place on Amazon have any more of the crawler you picked up? Can you post a link?

Rad, I just scored a used Danbury Mint Jeep for $49 US with free shipping, but that's kind of rare. The cheapest one I've seen lately went for just over $90 but that was a good deal. Usually they sell on ebay for around $100 to $150 plus shipping, so my $49 deal seems pretty sweet. I'll know for sure once it gets here, and I'll post photos then.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWW....The whole village uses one Outhouse???????????? :O P....EEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWW :( .............. :haha:

ALPHA
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

Just posted about a deal on 1/18 BF-109E's as accessories if anyone is interested.

Return to “General Discussion”