Transmitters

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Transmitters

Post by Max-U52 »

Hey fellas, I searched around quite a bit on this subject and thought about doing this on the electrical board, but after looking at some of the threads there, as well as threads on transmitters here on the General discussion Board, I decided this is the best place for what I have in mind. What I'm looking to do is open a general dialog on transmitters that will be useful to guys just getting into the whole hobby grade aspect of the hobby. For me that has been a somewhat difficult road (I'm getting there, though) and a thread like this might have been a big help when I was trying to decide which path to follow. I'd like to draw on our members experience to see what you've done, what you wish you had done, and what you'd do differently if you were just starting out, knowing what you know now.

Lately I've noticed an increase in the discussion and questions about transmitters, so I thought this might be a good time to kick it around a little bit. Here's a video (a bit longer than usual for me, as I always try to stay under five minutes, and usually two or three minutes under five) but there was a lot of ground to cover and I like to think a lot of this will be very useful info for guys that are starting down this road.

When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Transmitters

Post by MichaelC »

I am with Paul, 9x then 9XR. Also has a 9XR Pro because RCTA didn't have 9XR in stock but they are all the same. ER9X firmware is great. I have not had to flash the firmware since I got them from Kevin which is already flashed with the latest.

MichaelC.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Great to find more 9X fans out there. I put a smartie board in my 9X to handle the USB connection and I also did the backlight kit. That TX runs my Imex full metal Tiger and it's got an IBU and an Impact Battle Unit. I cocked the battle unit to give it TFA because that's what they use everywhere I'm likely to battle, but I also made it so it would be easy to rotate back to Tamiya stock. The 9XR Pro was completely set up out of the box by Kevin, and if you've got the money it's the way to go (IMO). My Tiger One Early with the Asp and the 9XR Pro is everything I've been trying to get in a tank. I just got a second Asp to make my Tiger One Late into a tammy compatible IR battle tank, but that was before my bud was diagnosed so I'll have to wait to get the Impact. I've been thinking about making my own flashring for now. Hey, I might not have money but I still got a little skill set. :) I've also already got the stuff to do a servo operated MG34 in that tank so that might be a good winter project.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Wow. Can you do FPV with that screen? Does it cost eleventy-billion dollars?
Tankbear
Lieutenant

Post by Tankbear »

Great video Gary.

Just a few bits to mention.

Batteries.

Some of the budget radios run on 8 AA batteries, this adds weight to the controller plus some times using rechargeable versions leads to low voltage warnings and not much use compared to regular batteries. The Turnigy/FlySky i6 radio only needs 4 AA batteries, not tried it on rechargeable batteries but should be a bit better as the transmitter is naturally running on lower voltage.

The Turnigy 9X and FlySky TH9X (both same radio) uses again 8 AA batteries, but it is possible to fit a 9.9v Life battery which will give better performance than AA rechargeables.

The Turnigy 9XR & 9XR Pro is designed to use a Turnigy 3S LiPo battery. The battery is not expensive but if your not use to LiPo batteries you will need a LiPo charger, the manual does say you can trickle charge the battery but I would recommend just using a smart charger from the start it gives peace of mind your not going to damage the battery and controller.

Receivers

Turnigy, Flysky, Hobbyking V2 receivers are interchangeable and will work with the other brand once bound to the radio. For some reason the Turnigy 8 channel receiver is cheaper (in the UK) than the FlySky 8 & 6 channels receivers and the hobby king 6 channel receiver. So worth considering instead of sticking with the same brand as the controller.

Self centring springs.

For newbies, to these radios unlike Heng Long or Taigen controls which have a spring return to centre on all 4 axis. These radios are often meant for aircraft use, in this instance there is no forward or reverse just a throttle, idle to full throttle so the manufactures install a ratchet type mechanism on one stick (normally left) so if the operator lets go the stick stays in position and carries on powering the aircraft. So a self centering spring replaces the ratchet with a spring so you get return to centre on all four axis.

Just off topic a little but since Gary mentioned me selling the radios in the video, radio sets bought from RCTE are already connected and setup to work with the IBU2 and tested for full operation before shipping.

Ian
www.mad-tanks.weebly.com
www.rctankelectronics.com
www.rc-truck.weebly.com
www.rc-boat.weebly.com
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by MichaelC »

Just a quick add to Ian's, HobbyKing does sell a 3S lipo specifically designed for the Turnigy 9X radio. It is not categories under the 9X but it is in the batteries section. If you don't know it you would never find it. Fits like a glove in battery compartment just like the one for the 9XR. It is 1C so it will last a long time in your radio:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... duct=16529

MichaelC.
DNAR
Lance Corporal

Post by DNAR »

Thanks for the info guys, really helps explain the basic.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Michael, Thanks for the heads up, :thumbup:
Checked the UK warehouse, 10 in stock, ordered 2.
shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:

Return to “General Discussion”