Can you retro fit a BB firing system into an IR StuG3?

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
Crispy
Sergeant

Can you retro fit a BB firing system into an IR StuG3?

Post by Crispy »

Sold my old IR ready Heng Long StuG3 to a mate on Tamiya club earlier this year. He's loving it but would prefer to have a BB firing system in it rather than the IR. He's asked is it possible to swap in a BB firing mechanism or would a Jagpanther one fit? I've had a search about the forum but can't find any info re this. Does anyone have any experience if such a swap or could you recommend where to look?

Regards
Nic
You aint gettin me on no plane fool!
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Can you retro fit a BB firing system into an IR StuG3?

Post by MichaelC »

Nic,

Was the StuG3 always IR ? if it is you will have to put in a BB unit and it should slide right in as it has the same mount as the HL stock recoil, but you might have to put in a BB Barrel. It all depends on what it was before. You also have to make sure there is clearance for the unit inside the hull itself. I am not too sure how BBs are loaded in the StuG 3 either.

I can't for the life of me remember whether my StuG3 was stock IR or stock BB that I converted and I sold it recently so can't check for you.

MichaelC.
Crispy
Sergeant

Post by Crispy »

Thanks for the reply. My StuG3 was IR from new and I couldn't remember if they ever came as BB or not. I can only find IR ones for sale these days. Are all the HL Airsoft units the same, and just have a different length barrel depending on what tank they're in?
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by MichaelC »

I believe all the BB units are the same, the only difference being how they are elevated. I know that the StuG uses the same elevation as Panther because of the tight spacing, which means that it would have a separate piece mounted on the side. Your HL recoil would have that piece on it and you can just mount it on the BB unit. I don't think they come with the BB unit.

I don't believe HL has different barrels for IR (I am pretty sure they use the same barrel), so you should be able to re-use the stock IR barrel. I think more of a problem would be the BB path. I don't recall ever seeing the BB path for the StuG.......

The BB unit is also bigger. The more I think about it, the more I am leaning towards saying that StuG doesn't come in stock BB ? Seems kinda crazy but never thought about it.

MichaelC.
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Greetings Michael and Crispy.... the HL Stug is only available in IR form ....The option for BB isn't offered...I'm pretty sure it's the same with Taigen... but I think Michael is correct in this... most "mountings" on the HL gun mechanisms are the same....the difference on the IR and BB is the bulk ...there are differences in the BB mechs too... so choose wisely....as you will have to determine what side you want the BBs to load in from...meaning figuring out which side of the Stug will offer you the most clearance to do the mod....Oh... the IR barrel is not 6+ mm so you cannot fire BBs .... you will probably have better luck converting to a barrel from a HL PanzerIII or IV :D

So Yes it is possible...but try and plan it out on paper first :D

ALPHA
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by MichaelC »

Thanks ALPHA. That would make sense as I am pretty sure I never replaced the barrel on my StuG and didn't need to change it to get the right dimension for IR. I don't ever recall seeing a piece for the StuG for loading BBs so that would also make sense as well. For the barrel I guess it will have to be Panzer IV BB since III doesn't have the 75mm gun. If this is really the case you might have a hard time getting any elevation from the gun since the BB unit is much bigger than the stock HL recoil unit. It might actually bump into the battery compartment even with no elevation at all.

Wow learn something new everyday.
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

MichaelC wrote:Thanks ALPHA. That would make sense as I am pretty sure I never replaced the barrel on my StuG and didn't need to change it to get the right dimension for IR. I don't ever recall seeing a piece for the StuG for loading BBs so that would also make sense as well. For the barrel I guess it will have to be Panzer IV BB since III doesn't have the 75mm gun. If this is really the case you might have a hard time getting any elevation from the gun since the BB unit is much bigger than the stock HL recoil unit. It might actually bump into the battery compartment even with no elevation at all.

Wow learn something new everyday.
Yes Indeed Michael... the IR barrels are way different....they are longer in the tail end...where it gets stuck into the mech and are not machined to take the hop up buckings ...to load it ...yeah too.. :haha: ...as there isn't a provision for a loading port...so that too might be best salvaged from a Panzer III or IV...or come to think of it.... the JagdPanther ;)

So goes the list

BARREL= I would choose the Panzer IVs because it has a muzzle break

GUN MECH= I would probably go with the one for the JagdPanther...just because the feeder might be more useful ;)

ALPHA
Crispy
Sergeant

Post by Crispy »

Thanks for your replies guys, doesn't sound like an easy swap over mod then.
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Crispy wrote:Thanks for your replies guys, doesn't sound like an easy swap over mod then.
It's more about acquiring the parts.... and retrofitting the BB loading slide...the mod itself shouldn't be too hard... more swapping of parts it would be the same if you were doing the opposite...that being changing a BB model to IR ;) ....The electricals on the other hand is simpler with the BB system :thumbup:

ALPHA

Return to “General Discussion”