flame thrower 105 sherman

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
cannedheat

flame thrower 105 sherman

Post by cannedheat »

hi chaps wot wot
I have on its way a hl Sherman 105 turret ,I am in need of guidance as to try and turn it into flame thrower type but have no reference,or pics of one but some how I cant remember how, were I have got this notion from ,so if you can help ? I also like the idea of this,[see pic ] if done on a later m4a3,cheers chaps wot wot
ALPHA
Major-General

Re: flame thrower 105 sherman

Post by ALPHA »

cannedheat wrote:hi chaps wot wot
I have on its way a hl Sherman 105 turret ,I am in need of guidance as to try and turn it into flame thrower type but have no reference,or pics of one but some how I cant remember how, were I have got this notion from ,so if you can help ? I also like the idea of this,[see pic ] if done on a later m4a3,cheers chaps wot wot
OOOOO that's a toughie Canned... it has the same hull I'm using ... and a low bussel turret as well... the mantlet I've seen somewhere in resin... maybe is sass fynsdad sees this post they could give you a better idea
Did you check the site Scalawag posted ?

great choice for a build.. :thumbup:

Have a great one Canned :thumbup:

ALPHA
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Hey Canned since no one has come to help.... how about this version of a SHERMAN flamer

I don't remember much about it...I just remember posting it on Painless's SHERMAN build
on the photo url says http://www.battletanks...but the link doesn't work
It also looks like a PACIFIC theater SHERMAN as it has the T74 tracks with duckbills ;)

Anyway... it looks like you can use a Mato chassis with a Modified HENG LONG or TAMIYA turret

the making the mantlet the challenge.. I know I'm going to scratch build one

Good luck Ol' Chap.. Hope someone brings more messages of Cheers ;)

Double Wot Double Wot :haha:

ALPHA
cannedheat

Post by cannedheat »

alpha
it looks as if this is dead in the water old chap the only thing I can find is post war easy 8 105, the barrel was modified so will have to give it a miss and join the navy .......
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

I am surprised that you are having trouble finding a source of reference given that just about every piece of stock newsreel footage of the Pacific war shows a Sherman flame thrower, If the distributer for Heng Long is watching these pages he may come to help seeing as if you succeed in building a Sherman with this equipment he is going to have a demand for more of his product to replace the melted M4s that have gone through the trials phase, I was thinking of trying for a Crocodyl but I have decided against because of the amount of plastic that would be in contact with fuel from trailer to barrel, I wish you much good fortune with this adventure. shaun
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

cannedheat wrote:alpha
it looks as if this is dead in the water old chap the only thing I can find is post war easy 8 105, the barrel was modified so will have to give it a miss and join the navy .......
Don't give up so fast Canned... it would make a Primo addition to your collection...and a good chance one of a kind like your welded hull Sherman...I mean we found two none easy eights...which had the big snorkels on the back....these are clearly early entries as on the easy eight version the flame was thrown from the gunners port

Hang in there :thumbup:

ALPHA
Panther Ausf G
Corporal

Post by Panther Ausf G »

Stick with it Canned listen to ALPHA. :thumbup:
Try Google search.
M4 Sherman Flame Thrower Tanks
or
M4 Sherman Flame Thrower Tanks - Olive-Drab.com

Both may be of help with your research, there are lots of photo’s.

ALPHA , Appears to be right the Sherman with that type of flame thrower was used in the Pacific campaigns against the Japanese. The other Sherman flame thrower variant used, replaced hull machine gun to position for the nozzle, not a good idea with tank Commanders as they lost an important defence weapon.

In Normandy the Churchill flame throwers were available and may have been the first choice.

The early Sherman variant may not have been ready for use in the field until after the Normandy campaign ended.
What I have written above re:- the Sherman variant may not be strictly accurate, so now open to comment if anyone can correct me. Please do as I am interested to know.
We do not stop playing because we grow old.
We grow old because we stop playing.
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

We don't want you to give up Canned
Here's more pics of that Pacific theater SHERMAN same one that I posted before
and some history
http://olive-drab.com/idphoto/id_photos ... hrower.php
one in use

Looks like there is a chem tube mount on the top of the bussel ... but the MATO chassis mated with a TAMIYA or HENG LONG turret should work fine

another in use
this one looks full MATO

YOU CAN DO IT MAN! :thumbup:
ALPHA
cannedheat

Post by cannedheat »

thanks chaps
but the thing is its not going on the cast hull but the hl all I was thinking of was doing a flame thrower turret all I know is that the 105 barrel was modded to suit but have only seen the one pic but cant find it any more it was this pic that gave me the idea as it seemed not a lot needed to be modded, yes they were in the pacific used by the marine corps, as they used the easy 8 type thrower in korea. thinking it s easy to change a turret and you have a fresh tank so to speak ......but?
Panther Ausf G
Corporal

Post by Panther Ausf G »

Stick with it. :thumbup:
The pic's I've seen so far, the tube or nozzle for the flame thrower was mounted along side and to the right of the main gun.
My own view, and only my view. They would not sacrifice the main gun by modifying it to project the flame though the barrel.
We do not stop playing because we grow old.
We grow old because we stop playing.

Return to “General Discussion”