Tank Battlefield in South Wales

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
wibblywobbly
Major

Re: Tank Battlefield in South Wales

Post by wibblywobbly »

Ok, a few people have been touch about a tank club in the South Wales area. Here's an update.

There is a large area at Happy Jakes campsite, St Athans, that the owner kindly made available back in 2013. A few of us set to work on it using a JCB, and a lot of grafting to turn it into a permanent battlefield. Since then it has fallen into disrepair.

Lately, there has been discussion about resurrecting it, so on 30th June we are looking to get as many as possible there to clear the weeds and see what needs fixing. There are a load of materials there to create structures etc at a later date.

Soooo....if anyone is in the area, and wants to lend a hand, you will be more than welcome. If you have garden tools great, if you have a petrol strimmer brilliant.

There is a group on Facebook, South Wales RC 4x4 & Military Club, but I will post up any details here. :thumbup:

https://www.pitchup.com/campsites/Wales ... ring-park/

Cheers

Rob
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Model Builder 4 »

Hi Rob,

Count me in mate :D I hope the weather begins to play ball by the end of the month :'( I'd be grateful if you could update nearer to the date to make sure it's still going ahead :thumbup:

Cheers, Lee.
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Post by silversurfer1947 »

At last, the UK (Wales) can produce a site to rival the one in Spain being built by Jussek and his friends! Seriously though, a permanent outdoor site would be fantastic. Unfortunately 30th June I can't do, but if I can, I will.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

It will be 9:30 - 12:30 on 30 June, just so that you know. ;)
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

For anyone thinking of making the journey it seems that the arrangements for the 30th have escaped the memory of the guy who organised it. At this moment in time I am awaiting confirmation that it is still on. It's going to be boiling hot if the last couple of days are anything to go by, so it might be wiser to postpone the clear up until the weather cools down.
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
DymondTank
Lance Corporal

Post by DymondTank »

Be awesome to get that place up running again . Yeah the weather is going to be a scorcher
So may pick a day where it is cooler to set it out .
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

Deffo cancelled, it will be re-scheduled in a few weeks time. :wave:
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

Update:

After that rain sodden winter, we had no chance of getting up to St Athan, and the second the rain stopped, the lockdown started. As everyone living in Wales will know, the border has been closed and internal travel restricted to 5 miles, so that has curtailed any possibility of work on the project. :'(

Another fly in the ointment is that the campsite owner has asked us to remove scenery and materials from the outbuilding we were using, as he needs it for a workshop. :/

All is not lost though, the plot of land is still ours to use as we wish. As soon as we can get up there we intend to start work on clearing the site again. It will be on a No Work, No Play basis. The intention is to make it suitable for tanks, armoured vehicles and scale off road trucks etc. :thumbup:
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

Looks like a nice site but a bit distant for me as a regular visit. Do you have any pics of the battle area as last worked on?
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

It hasn't changed much since the last pics were taken, some hard paths were laid, but the whole area is now overgrown again. It will take a team of us armed with strimmers, bush cutters and a JCB, along with gallons of weedkiller just to get back to the base again.
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1

Return to “General Discussion”