Tank Battlefield in South Wales

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
wibblywobbly
Major

Re: Tank Battlefield in South Wales

Post by wibblywobbly »

The area that we are given at shows is about 10m x 10m, this one is 17m x 33m. It's big, and we have an option to more than double the size of it when we get phase 1 up and running. The reason we didn't go the whole hog straight off is that we want to make it a quality battlefield, and populating the current area with buildings and bridges and other structures is going to take a lot of work, so we we didn't want to bite off more than we could chew, it that makes sense.

The battlefield will be open for use by all RCTR club members, at any time, so long as they are paid up club members, with club insurance, and with a £5 per day/weekend fee. This is purely to cover a donation to charity and to provide funds to maintain the area eg weedkiller, tools, JCB diesel etc. All labour etc is voluntary and no funds will be retained by any SWAG member.

The big bonus is the electric hook-ups, so no need for a generator etc, plus as mentioned, it's a new site with showers, toilets, a shop and cooked food available on site. For those camping/caravanning the usual site fees will apply, the land is owned by the campsite owner, so it's only fair that we should attract people to his site in return for him making the land available. This arrangement gives both the owner and us mutual benefits.

Although the groundwork is now done, we still need to create some scenery, and this will hopefully take place over the winter. I will be building a 2m version of the Pegasus bridge...which is going to be ...err...interesting! :haha:
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
rdr
Recruit

Post by rdr »

Hi guys, when are you down there next ?
ChieftainMk1
Recruit

Post by ChieftainMk1 »

Hello Guys. I see the last entry regarding the south Wales battleground appears to be entered in 2015.
It is now March 2019, are you guys still there and active? I'm a newby here, looking to get my first model. Anyone able to get back to me?
Colin
Chieftain Mk5
Panther BB
Panther IR
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Awesome guys :clap: :clap: :clap: , I presume the campsite has electric hookup, in which case I could bring the motorhome for the odd visit.

Alwyn :thumbup: :wave:
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
DymondTank
Lance Corporal

Post by DymondTank »

Anybody in South Wales interesting getting this up and running
Again . Be great to get a group and get the tanks out

Any suggestions
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Model Builder 4 »

Colin, Alwyn, Kieran,

The area at Happy Jake's campsite is still apparently available to us, I contacted Rob ( wibblywobbly ) a little while back about us getting it back up and running, Rob helped set it all up in the beginning along with a couple of guy's from Barry, I visited it a good while after but it was in need of a lot of work, hopefully when the weather gets a little better I can contact the guys from Barry along with Rob and see if we can all get it going again :thumbup:

Cheers, Lee.
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:
DymondTank
Lance Corporal

Post by DymondTank »

Happy days, if you need a hand with it . I could help setting up if you need it
Be good to get it set up ready for the summer
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Model Builder 4 »

I will try and find out if it's still possible Kieran , it does need a lot of work though and it would be great if the original guy's who started it would be available as they know the layout, the last time I was down there it was an overgrown mound, I know Rob is really interested so I'll go by his lead :D :thumbup:

Cheers, Lee.
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:
DymondTank
Lance Corporal

Post by DymondTank »

That’s fair . Keep us updated . My hand is always up if you help
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

The site hasn't been used for a few years, and has become overgrown again. There has been talk of a site visit this year when the sunshine returns to see if it can be recovered. It is a large area, about 50m x 70m. Weeds are the biggest problem as it was scrubland when we were given it. It's a shame as it had the potential to be something unique in the UK.
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1

Return to “General Discussion”