Tank Battlefield in South Wales

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
wibblywobbly
Major

Tank Battlefield in South Wales

Post by wibblywobbly »

Just to let any interested forum members know that there is an RC tank group named South Wales/West Armoured Group (SWAG) that occasionally meets at Rhoose Point near Barry. On top of this a member was chatting to a campsite owner in the area who mentioned that he would be happy to allocate part of his site to building a permament battlefield for us.

We paid him a visit during July, and he is offering a fairly large area which we can have sole use of. His only request is that once a year we lay on a weekend event that will attract the public to his business. We are going there on 21 September to finalise what we would like, and he will carve out the hills and valleys with his JCB.

The plan is to work on it when we can over the winter while it is cooler, and get it up and running by next summer.

If there is anyone in the area who feels like they might like to join in the battles, or just run their tanks in 1/16 surroundings just let me know and I will make sure that you get any updates on progress. IR tank battles are great fun, and running tanks in a scale environment is even better. We will have trees, buildings, bunkers and bridges etc, so it should be pretty good.

It would be excellent if we could meet up a few times a year to make use of the facilities, the campsite is modern, ultra clean, showers etc, as well as good food and coffee, shop etc.

Rob
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
panzernut
Private

Re: Tank Battlefield in South Wales

Post by panzernut »

Rob,

Man that sounds nice. Nothing like that in Ohio! Closest battlefield is Detroit about 4 1/2 hours from me. have fun.

Jack
Taigen Late Tiger 1 full metal/ Clark TK22, flash/servo recoil
Taigen Early Tiger 1 full metal/El Mod Pro
Mattoro Jagdtiger with 2.4 ghz Taigen radio
Watterson/HL Sherman metal gears/tracks
Taigen metal StugIII
Heng Long Panther G IR with metal upgrades
Heinz Scharf
Recruit

Post by Heinz Scharf »

If there is anyone in the area who feels like they might like to join in the battles, or just run their tanks in 1/16 surroundings just let me know and I will make sure that you get any updates on progress
Hi Rob,
Count me in, even if it is a 3 hour run. I would book a few days off to come down.
Timm
“Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. It comes to us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.” John Wayne
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

Consider yourself counted in Timm, I will keep you updated on progress.

Rob
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
The Tank Man
Staff Sergeant

Post by The Tank Man »

I will be up for a meet! There :D

The M.A.D team will take on the S.W.A.G boys !!! @)

Fire buttons at the ready lads!!!!!!! :thumbup:
I love the smell of napalm in the morning!
rdr
Recruit

Post by rdr »

Hi, i'm just getting into tanks, and as i'm local I would love to come down to have a look. When are you meeting next at rhoose point.
lister fiend
Sergeant

Post by lister fiend »

with a camp site?
count me in :thumbup:
if I ever get my stupid clark board problems sorted :haha:
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

Ok, first off, there are a few of us meeting at the campsite next weekend, eg 21st Sept (weather permitting in my case as its a bit of a trek). Some will be there Sat/Sun.

My guess is that the meeting will be mainly sorting out with the site owner where we would like a valley dug out of the hill he has provided us with. If the weather holds out then it may be possible to do a bit more.

The only pics of the area we have been allocated are on a SWAG members camera, and as he is working away he can't email them to me, but I will post them up when I get them.

Here is a link to the site:

http://www.happyjakes.co.uk/index.html

as you can see, it's all new and has all the facilities that anyone will ever need.

The owner told us we could have an area far bigger originally, but it would take a lot of work to make it all what we want it to be so we settled for an area about 60ft x 60ft, which is manageable.

I will look at the weather forecast later in the week, and that will give us more of an idea about what will be happening.

Cheers

Rob
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

If anyone is in the area and fancies either seeing what is going on, or maybe lending a helping hand, we will be attending the site at the weekend. We are hoping that the JCB will be able to do most of the work while we stand and watch, but there may well be a few bits and pieces to move.

Looking to be there 10:30 onwards.

The site, and location are on the following website:

http://www.happyjakes.co.uk/

Rob
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

We turned up today and started work. It was too wet to use a JCB as it would have wrecked the campsite turf. Instead Jason got to work with his industrial strimmer, and the owner has told us that Jason can use the JCB himself next Saturday to carve out the weeds and do whatever we want for a battlefield. We are getting a consignment of industrial weedkiller that will kill everything off over the winter. Here are some pics.

Rob
Attachments
DSCN1155.JPG
DSCN1154.JPG
DSCN1153.JPG
DSCN1152.JPG
DSCN1151.JPG
DSCN1150.JPG
DSCN1149.JPG
DSCN1148.JPG
DSCN1147.JPG
DSCN1146.JPG