Problems with accessing websites on the internet

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Problems with accessing websites on the internet

Post by AlwynTurner »

Am I alone in this or are others having a similar problem. All of a sudden (in the last 36 hours) I'm unable to access certain websites like Accuweather, Daily Mail news, Al jazeera news, and severely degraded response from BBC news. I've contacted EE and they say a lot of people are having problems and couldn't give me any solution, but apparently they are investigating. I've checked my internet response (31.5mbps download speed), I've reset my router, used different browsers, tried both microsoft and android devices, all with the same result. I am beginning to suspect a DDOS attack or attacks(Distributed Denial Of Service) as it's the only thing I can think of that could explain these issues.

It's strange because websites like Amazon, Ebay, and other websites I get an immediate response. Very puzzling.

Alwyn

Just tried metoffice.gov.uk with the same result as Accuweather! It seems to me there's some wholesale hacking going on because to investigate this I've been attempting to look at Ukranian news and certain websites suddenly aren't available like the Telegraph website which I could access this morning. Not good.
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
jee
Staff Sergeant

Re: Problems with accessing websites on the internet

Post by jee »

Could be a DDOS attack on some websites.

Only website I have problems with is RCUniverse, they seem to think that a hobby is political related and block Russian IP addresses.
Although I do use a VPN for Facebook, I decided to not visit RCuniverse anymore. Plenty of other hobby-websites
Regards,
Jaap :wave:
RobW
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by RobW »

Fine from Sheffield, although I'm at work. I can understand some sites (weather & news) might be under extra load due to warnings etc.
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

I had several discussions with ee support staff who were very friendly and helpful and this is a reported issue. They are investigating and will report back. Initially the response was that there were no problems with my connection or router but suddenly she found another report of the same issue so now its being followed up. At the moment I can't even get into ebay so I suppose its saving me money butonthe other hand there are things I need :/ :thumbdown:

Alwyn :wave: :thumbup:

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
Tiger6

Post by Tiger6 »

Just checked those sites from my EE cell phone. Not having any issues, so I'd suggest it was a localised DNS issue rather than anything sinister - somebody just needs to go into the local data center and give the server a slap.
RobW

Post by RobW »

Alwyn's on the edge of the Peak. Someone probably started watching Netflix.....
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Still haven't got to the bottom of this but it looks like it may be a faulty router. I connected the router to my laptop with an ethernet cord and all worked fine, all websites accessed with no problem. It looks as though the wifi part of the router is not working as advertised, anyway EE are sending me a new router so we'll see what happens then. It's a very strange problem which even the EE advisers haven't seen before.

Alwyn :thumbup: :wave:

RobW

Post by RobW »

Get a Wifi sniffer and check for interference. I kept losing signal at home and turns out the neighbours switched provider & are on the same channel. Still not figured out how to change ours....
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Well I tried everything I could think of, tried wifi sniffers to check out the local routers around me, bought a wifi booster, checked signal continuity, nothing made a difference. I have an engineer coming in 10 days time so I just left it. Went to my daughters for the weekend, came back, still no joy. Decided to turn the router off and leave it off for half an hour, apparently this causes some sort of network reset and I've tried this several times before to no effect. Turned the router back on, let it stabilise, and suddenly the wifi is back working as normal. 8O :crazy: :crazy:

I don't know what the hell happened or why but I'm suspecting that something in the supplier network has been fixed, its the only thing I can think of that explains why suddenly it stopped working and then suddenly started working again, but I can now stop stressing and get back to working on the bren carrier.

Alwyn :thumbup: :wave:

jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

A couple of years back my Talk Talk connection dropped out although my phone from the same source was fine, like you I tried everything then one day after almost 2 months all was well,
No explanation or apology from Talk Talk just normal service,
It has happened since but for only an hour but it is very annoying.
Glad everything is ok now Alwyn keep your fingers crossed :thumbup:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:

Return to “General Discussion”