2 new tanks from hoobins

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
c.rainford73
Major

Re: 2 new tanks from hoobins

Post by c.rainford73 »

These are very cool. any idea on pricing?
Tanks alot.... :wave:
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

These are very cool. any idea on pricing?
Tanks alot.... :wave:
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

tomhugill wrote:
Rad_Schuhart wrote:i have seen the easy 8, hvss suspension! i see myself selling my tamiya sherman and buying the hooben!
If (big if).the Hooben easy 8 ever appears (where are you leo2a4 and Abrams) I will put money on it being mechanically intherior to the tamiya one.
the only think id save from the tamiya sherman internals are the gearboxes and the amazing speaker.
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Agree with Tom. I don't think the Hooben will be superior to a tamiya easy8.
Marc780
Corporal

Post by Marc780 »

I just bought their T-55, and the only question I'd have is why? Are they doing tanks that other companies have already done. Hooben doesnt sell models, they sell bags of parts, half of them either missing or fit improperly.
Rad_Schuhart

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Marc780 wrote:I just bought their T-55, and the only question I'd have is why? Are they doing tanks that other companies have already done. Hooben doesnt sell models, they sell bags of parts, half of them either missing or fit improperly.
I have no hooben models so far, but are the kits that bad? did you buy the new or the old t55?
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Marc780 wrote:I just bought their T-55, and the only question I'd have is why? Are they doing tanks that other companies have already done. Hooben doesnt sell models, they sell bags of parts, half of them either missing or fit improperly.
I believe that's called a kit.
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Rad_Schuhart wrote:
I have no hooben models so far, but are the kits that bad? did you buy the new or the old t55?
I've had both the old and new t55. The old one was more challenging from a fit point of view. The retooled one is far far better. The instructions weren't upto tamiya standard but we're okish (although there were errors which made things difficult).

The elefant was much better and everything fitted nicely. Suspension needs work out the box however.
Rad_Schuhart

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

tomhugill wrote:
Rad_Schuhart wrote:
I've had both the old and new t55. The old one was more challenging from a fit point of view. The retooled one is far far better. The instructions weren't upto tamiya standard but we're okish (although there were errors which made things difficult).

The elefant was much better and everything fitted nicely. Suspension needs work out the box however.
Thanks for the input, Tom. Of all the rc tanks out there I think the one I like most is the t55, but so many bad reviews (from the old kit and the brand itself) prevented me from buying it
Marc780
Corporal

Post by Marc780 »

Rad_Schuhart, same thought i have had, as soon as I found out somebody made an R/C T55 i wanted it and just thought about it for a couple years before actually getting it. Your concerns are completely justified: The Hooben T55 is badly engineered, the kit doesn't even have the correct parts list let alone enough correct parts to do any more then a static model, and you'll spend more on the parts to make it R/C then on the model itself and 10 times longer then any other kit to re-engineer it just to make it function as well as an $80 Heng Long tank. That said, the kit is relatively unique and still has that raw Slavik design to it shared by all Soviet armor, and that the kit manages to convey very well. Is it worth the headache and expense? The strongest opinion i have is, the more you spend on doing to it, or having done - the less headache and vice versa. And anybody that invests (it is going to be an investment whether time or money it is you spend more of) in this tank should be aware of all this before sinking what'll probably turn out to be around $600-1000 in the end.

Return to “General Discussion”