I'm building this Tiger

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
jarndice
Colonel

Re: I'm building this Tiger

Post by jarndice »

Roy Hi,
You won't need hinges, just 2 Male and 2 Female countersunk Neodymium Magnets, I got them from ---
www.first4magnets.com
The Taigen Tiger 1 has the front locating plate already,
So find the exact point that the hooks in the Body touch the hull metal crossbar and drill a hole that allows you to fit the magnets using a nut and countersunk bolt.
The hooks in the body locating rods can be unscrewed and with a little experimenting to find the optimum length you then cut to the right length those body locating rods and screw the opposite sex magnets into them.
A better solution is instead of using the Quick release crossbar to hold the hull magnets is to substitute it for a plain bar that goes in its place.
I have been using Magnets to hold my Feifal Air Cleaner tubes in place for some years on all my Tiger 1s after reading about it from Dan on "RCUniverse"
I first used Magnets to lock down the body to the hull with my first Panzer 4,
I admit to over engineering it and I would not use the same method again BUT it works.
Using Magnets in modelling first came to mind when I bought a De Havilland DHC 2 Beaver in 1/9 scale.
The Fuselage was a sealed polystyrene foam structure,
When I looked through the cabin window I noticed the Rudder control rod was not connected to its servo so I carefully cut out the Door and replaced the control rod,
Of course as a builder I couldn't leave it at that, so I cut out the opposite door and removed the seats and painted the interior and fitted facsimile radio panels as well as a pair of control horns and painted the seats and made up some seat belts for them before screwing Magnets into the leading and trailing edges of the doors.
They have never come open in flight but any time I need access they just pull off.
Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
SteelBird
Corporal

Post by SteelBird »

Jake79 wrote:Hi Steelbird

How comes you went for the light sand, that's more of a deserttan Canadian leo colour, did you not want to go for the german dark yellow (dunglegelb) that the Tigers were painted in. Using the light sand will allow for heavier weathering tho.
As I have mentioned before painting is my weakness. When I ordered this Tiger hull a year ago, I had the Tiger 131 in mind. I happened to visit Bangkok and saw a Tamiya paint store and picked the sand color without thinking that it's light or dark. However when I got my Mato Pz3 and compared two colors, I knew it's wrong but I can't go back to Bangkok just for two bottles of paint. Modeling is correct to some extent only, there are still tons of mistakes on this HL anyway. For now let's accept it.

Jake, I've been thinking of getting a Taigen long time ago but they aren't available here. If I bought one from Europe, the shipping cost would be insanely high.
H/L Pantiger, H/L Leopard 2A6, Mato Panzer III, Hybrid Tiger 1 and some tank wreckage
SteelBird
Corporal

Post by SteelBird »

Painting the rubber tire
H/L Pantiger, H/L Leopard 2A6, Mato Panzer III, Hybrid Tiger 1 and some tank wreckage
Aussie
Corporal

Post by Aussie »

Looks to glossy mate , can you get hold of Tamiya , Rubber black XF-85?
Don't get your panties in a bunch , we still got hand weapons and the fifty!
SteelBird
Corporal

Post by SteelBird »

Aussie wrote:Looks to glossy mate , can you get hold of Tamiya , Rubber black XF-85?
No one sell it here. I just use what's available in the market. If want Tamiya paint, I 'll need to go to Taobao again but is CNY period, all shop closed. I just do it and see the results. If not good then redo it later.
Aussie
Corporal

Post by Aussie »

No worries , a bit of dusting and weathering will tone it down mate.
SteelBird
Corporal

Post by SteelBird »

And how it looks like now
Last edited by SteelBird on Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

Moved to the Heng Long build section.
SteelBird
Corporal

Post by SteelBird »

I'm a bit disappointed as I took my newly built Tiger 1 for off road yesterday. First of all, the Heng Long's original motors are too weak to move through unpaved terrain as there might be too many metal parts on it, then after a few minutes of running the old problem of my Pantiger comes back; the right track was thrown off. I know that the main reason of thrown tracks is the idlers but I just can't find out a good way to solve it. Right now there are two choices for me. One is to stubbornly modify/improve this tank until it works fine, another choice is to abandon this tank, leave it as a shelf queen and move on with another tank. Which choice would you suggest me to go on?
Aussie
Corporal

Post by Aussie »

Put a small washer between the offending idler wheel and hull to space out the idler.
Fixed mine straight away.

Return to “Heng Long Builds”