Next Project; New Tiger I or Convert HL JP to IR

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
Glen B
Lance Corporal

Next Project; New Tiger I or Convert HL JP to IR

Post by Glen B »

I m looking at another tank project, likely beginning in Nov. (not that I am wishing the summer away 8O )

Our club is IR so the tank would be converted to IR with an SLU, regardless of the choice. It would also get 3:1 gearboxes. All markings to be stencilled.

Option One: Tiger I

My plan was to pick up a new Tiger I at the Toronto Hobby Show in Nov. (if Mato is there, if they are, prices are good there).

The Tiger would be done up in Abt. 506 colours. (love the emblem on the storage bin)

Option Two: Jagdpanther

A re-fit of my existing, neglected airsoft JP, converting to IR with all the stuff I listed above.

Considerations;

- I have not used a turretless tank in IR club battles, it may be frustrating?

- My speciality is east front panzers (thought I am not an expert in them); due to the chaotic conditions in January 1945 when JP's were first deployed in the east, there is not much solid historical information on the paint scheme for them; I am not a hard and fast rivit counter but I do like some authenticity.

To complete the decision process, the current IR tank "fleet" consists of;

2 Tiger I's (2nd SS & Abt 503) both pre-Kursk paint

1 King Tiger (Abt. 503, "Anneliese", Hungary, Oct 1944)

2 Panther G's (one in MNH green camo, 1945 & my latest in the "Lake Balaton" 1945 camo)
My childhood has not only been good,

It has been long, REAL long,
frantz70
Recruit

Re: Next Project; New Tiger I or Convert HL JP to IR

Post by frantz70 »

I don't battle so I'm no help with that Glen. But Jagdpanthers are cool.

I painted mine the solid green of Panzer Lehr Division, Hungary Spring 1945, but I have yet to finish it with markings.

Lots of wild camo patterns for late war Jagdpanthers.
Glen B
Lance Corporal

Post by Glen B »

I am going ahead with the conversion, I am waiting on the next batch of SLU's
frantz70 wrote: Lots of wild camo patterns for late war Jagdpanthers.
JP camo is tricky to authenticate IMHO and experience. From mid-1944-on it seems that the records and picture supply "thins out".

I have found in some cases, colour plates are not always, but can be, somewhat imaginative.

Here is my JP, it will stay in this camo after the conversion, it is from Hungary, 1945 and there is a historical B&W as a reference.

JP Small.jpg
JP Small.jpg (45.66 KiB) Viewed 1295 times

mustclime
Sergeant

Post by mustclime »

How about a non german tank? Its always nice to go back and forth with different teams and being able to do axis and allies battles....if you want a heavy tank, get a kv1, m26 or build a sherman into a jumbo....
Glen B
Lance Corporal

Post by Glen B »

Thanks guys but I kind of like my east front panzers, so that's what I make up ;)

This is my Stug III, Abt 210, Russia, Spring 1943
Stug 400 x 300.jpg
Stug 400 x 300.jpg (37.08 KiB) Viewed 1273 times
Tigerkopf 400 x 300.jpg
Tigerkopf 400 x 300.jpg (41.56 KiB) Viewed 1272 times
It has the DCB which I am not to happy with, down the road, if I can cram and SLU into it, I likely will. Right now, its one hit and the mobility is gone, then I might as well just take it off the field; I don't have to win every time but I like to stay in the game for more than the first few shots. And it does have the upgrade chip, to little avail.

Next projects now are two IR conversions from HL airsoft, SLU's have been ordered for them;

Jagdpanther

To get SLU, 3:1's and HL Flash
JP Small.jpg
JP Small.jpg (45.66 KiB) Viewed 1273 times

Panzer IV F2

To get SLU and HL Flash
400 x 300 Right Rear Q.jpg
400 x 300 Right Rear Q.jpg (56.52 KiB) Viewed 1273 times

mustclime
Sergeant

Post by mustclime »

Glen, I do not know if it matters....one of the members of the club I am with has a jadgpanther...it is a very hard tank to fight with. That telaphone poll sticking out the front is really hard to get swung around and shoot with in battle....The stug is a much better tank distroyer to fight withimo. Shorter gun tube, 5 second reload time and really short hard to hit......if its a choice between a jadgepanther and a tiger....go with the tiger.

btw....this is the best pic of a jp on the eastern front I know of.....note the is2 in the background for proof of the east.....

http://www.com-central.net/index.php?na ... ic&p=16011
Glen B
Lance Corporal

Post by Glen B »

mustclime wrote:Glen, I do not know if it matters....one of the members of the club I am with has a jadgpanther...it is a very hard tank to fight with. That telaphone poll sticking out the front is really hard to get swung around and shoot with in battle....
Yes, that's for sure. But I have five turreted tanks now and the smaller Pz IV will be the next conversion after the JP (the rest are all "cats" so the Pz IV will be the compact model ;) )

Actually, some areas of our field will work for the JP, some won't.

buckeye36
Lance Corporal

Post by buckeye36 »

You'll have a blast with the JP, just keep some distance between you and the bad guy.
I always enjoyed fighting with tank destroyers.
I have an ElMod equiped JP, ElMod Stug III and building a Tamiya JP right now. After the JP I have a Asiatam Stug IV and a Hooben Elefant to build...did I mention I'm fond of tank destroyers?
Tamiya Tiger 1, Tamiya M4 (105) HVSS, Tamiya Jagdpanther G1, ElMod Jagdpanther G2, ElMod KV-1E, ElMod StuG 40 G

Return to “General Discussion”